TuneBomb

WTB CAP CAM n VX BAT

• Supermod
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

/snip/

More life advice here ^^^

Three of us are telling you the same thing. Must mean we're on to something <_<

Don't hesitate to ask more questions of course, but it's pretty much guaranteed that if you want to get into a school based on the images you show them. You had better put a lot of time into selecting the images, and the order in which you present them as much as how you present them. They are going to teach your presentation at school amongst the many things you will learn. But they want you to demonstrate that you know how to think and express yourself with images.

that was a common theme
in doug's photography - nw

We should have a 'Censorship and Design' section.

s.jpg

#36382 i STILL owe tuney a print

i STILL owe tuney a print
  • 6,980 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

K so i realized that I'm coming back home on a tuseday,
which means on wensday SP-IRL-WINGTOUR IS BACK!!

madhammy's, c-nads, basti, and tats are goin to be there...

wendsday 23rd of november

PM me for directions if your in van.

bring your cameras so we can take n00ds

Posted Image
I dont know man, I really hate drama and for better or worse I assume that every woman from Colombia is going to be crazy like the chick from the movie Blow, which is more bullshit that I'm willing to deal with.
-kyle bunker
flickr

#36383 Ryan Rose

Ryan Rose
  • Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:24 PM

Do grades matter much when getting into a photo school? Stupid question probably haha.

It really depends on the school, but to a degree yes.

For Emily Carr, the portfolio was worth 70% of what got you accepted, and grades were 30%. If you got shit grades though, they really counted against you. Look up the school you're applying to and see their requirements, or just email them. Asking them a simple question can help you out tremendously.

#36384 mike donahue

mike donahue

• Die Hard
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

I'll chime in with my two cents, mind you I don't go to art school (sorta). When making my portfolio for architecture school (which was 100% photography) my main concern was bringing a narrative to the table. I was stressed applying to such a drawing/design intensive program with no drawings or design work in my portfolio so I knew I needed to show that I'm interested in the manipulation of scale and the creation/perception of space in the natural world, since that's what architecture is all about. When making a portfolio you should have some sort of concept, something that resonates through each individual piece that goes beyond obvious similarities (such as being all black and white or all landcapes). There needs to be a reason for your choosing of the particular images that make up your portfolio. By the end the viewer should feel that they learned something about you and what you strive to achieve through your work or at the very least, experienced something by looking at it.

When making my portfolio I started out with 50 or so shots that somehow fit in with what I thought I was trying to convey. I then slowly picked away at ones that seemed to stray from my core intent. Once I was down to about 25 or so I began to try to form a sequence with the images that remained. Doing so allowed ones that still didn't quite fit to surface. Eventually I was down to about 15 (submission guidelines suggested that anywhere between 12-15 pieces should make up the portfolio) and from there I really tried to get image order down. Image order is just as important as the images that you put in. A portfolio with no flow is like a novel with the chapters all re-arranged, it becomes convoluted and whatever ideas are trying to be expressed are lost. Each image should relate in some way to the one that precedes it and create a natural flow into the one that follows it.
This process of editing and ordering probably took me a few days.

Looking back at this portfolio I'm somewhat embarassed as there are definitely things I would change up but I think my underlying goals are still there. It also did what it was supposed to at the time and that was to get me into the program I'm in now so it served its purpose.
Use the arrow keys to go to the next image

Just quoting this so I can find it easier. I'm working on my portfolio now so this was pretty helpful. Cheers

#36385 Donavon

Donavon

bhagavad gita 3:16

• Die Hard
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:24 PM

I need to work more on common themes and sets. I have a set that I think I will be using but it only has 6 photos right now.

#36386 TuneBomb

TuneBomb

WTB CAP CAM n VX BAT

• Supermod
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

I need a reliably working stylus epic, does anyone have one they can sell me? Or, can someone find me one to buy please? Thanks.

that was a common theme

s.jpg

#36387 jake barton

jake barton
  • Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:29 PM

TuneBomb, you looking for the fixed lens one or the 35-80mm?

#36388 IvanFucich

IvanFucich

//

• Die Hard
  • 4,839 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:33 PM

I need a reliably working stylus epic, does anyone have one they can sell me? Or, can someone find me one to buy please? Thanks.

just posted on your wall on FB

#36389 romainmassola

romainmassola
  • Established Member
  • 508 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

Tonight I was shooting at a Kooks / Morning Parade show. I did not liked it. Not the music, the fact of shooting live music.
I'm more and more considering selling all my Nikon gears (D700 with grip, FM3a, 16mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm) for a Fuji X100 and a M6 with a 50mm (and perhaps a 35mm)...

#36390 TuneBomb

TuneBomb

WTB CAP CAM n VX BAT

• Supermod
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

just posted on your wall on FB

hype! thanks.

Tonight I was shooting at a Kooks / Morning Parade show. I did not liked it. Not the music, the fact of shooting live music.
I'm more and more considering selling all my Nikon gears (D700 with grip, FM3a, 16mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm) for a Fuji X100 and a M6 with a 50mm (and perhaps a 35mm)...

Honestly dude the d700 is a great tool for shooting shows. It gives you a ton of flexibility film doesn't. Of course I can argue or sell you on either idea "keep my gear" or "sell my gear."

Also, fuck an M6.

that was a common theme

s.jpg

#36391 romainmassola

romainmassola
  • Established Member
  • 508 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:19 PM

Thing is, I'm not sure I want to shoot live shows anymore...
And fuck, I want a cell, I'd get a M7 if I could, no matter what you would tell me (even if I knew you'd be right).

#36392 LucasNilsson

LucasNilsson
  • Established Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

http://www.vardagsko.../10/MG_1876.jpg och http://www.vardagsko.../10/MG_1877.jpg

homebuilt is the best

#36393 Donavon

Donavon

• Die Hard
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:54 PM

Also, fuck an M6.

explain yourself.

http://www.vardagsko.../10/MG_1876.jpg och http://www.vardagsko.../10/MG_1877.jpg

homebuilt is the best

that looks awesome!

#36394 snowdon

snowdon

don beech

• Die Hard
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:15 PM

Thing is, I'm not sure I want to shoot live shows anymore...
And fuck, I want a cell, I'd get a M7 if I could, no matter what you would tell me (even if I knew you'd be right).

fuck m7's. problem waiting to happen.
blog
Site
Flickr

bro i got a summicron i don't need to be able to see colour.

#36395 TuneBomb

TuneBomb

WTB CAP CAM n VX BAT

• Supermod
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

explain yourself.

why buy something inferior for a convenience that only has a valid use when shooting slide film?

why buy something inferior for a convenience when shooting slide film when the seldom use of slide film could be handled with a hand held meter.

the m4 is the best leica you can buy. why not just fucking buy it?

having put over a grand into REPAIRING a leica that isn't an M4, I can do nothing other than recommend the m4 above everything else. m2 is fine, m3 is fine too. But the m4 is the best. Period.

homebuilt is the best

Rad idea, but a strap wrap is what saved my leica from getting pulled off my arm by a crazy lady that would have focussed it.

that looks awesome!

^^^

that was a common theme

s.jpg

#36396 i STILL owe tuney a print

i STILL owe tuney a print
  • 6,980 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:53 PM

Gotta love SP..!

I am also applying for art school and I need to get a portfolio sorted..
Is it a bad idea to show that along with you're main focus and ideas that you are also interested in different areas? Like for example landscapes AND portraits, or even sk8 sh0tz? like in less prominence and towards the end or whatever..

Well for starters don't include skate shots unless they are extremely outside of the box. Schools (especially art schools) are not interested in skate photos and unless you're pulling off some French Fred shit I wouldn't bother.

It's more important to show that you can take an idea and produce work around that idea than to show that you can produce work that results from a variety of ideas. It's easy to produce a random assortment of nice looking pictures. It's much harder to produce a concise set of images with a narrow focus. If you're idea can transcend a variety of photographic subjects (landscapes, portraits, still lifes) than more power to you, but don't get caught up in worrying about such trivial things.

Always fall back on your idea whenever you get stuck or lost. That's really the most important thing you can do.
I dont know man, I really hate drama and for better or worse I assume that every woman from Colombia is going to be crazy like the chick from the movie Blow, which is more bullshit that I'm willing to deal with.
-kyle bunker
flickr

#36397 LucasNilsson

LucasNilsson
  • Established Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:05 PM

I have a ordinary neckstrap but I just felt that since I usually just wrap it around my wrist it'll work just as good with the small strap. I lock it in really good with the small (ok. what the hell should i call it?) sliding thing on the strap.
the leica strap sollution makes it so fast to switch straps so.

as far as crazy ladies go, at 6' and 210lbs powerlifting-bearded-shaved head guy I feel pretty safe, otherwise I got a good insurance haha

I went with the M6 since i got it with a 35 lux for 1000bucks. sold the 35lux and went with a summicron.
I think that i've paid around 700for everything as it is now

#36398 LucasNilsson

LucasNilsson
  • Established Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:10 PM

on another note.

Posted Image
I don't think that i've posted it here but test shots for a project i'm starting right now.
just headshots with all the people I hang with during the winters. it'll end up as a blurb book when i reach 100+ portraits.
this is with a RZ but I might shoot it square instead. haven't decided

+
www.lightstalking.com/portfolio

#36399 Donavon

Donavon

• Die Hard
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:26 PM

the m4 is the best leica you can buy. why not just fucking buy it?

do you use the leica meter?

*snip*

awesome! x2

#36400 snowdon

snowdon

don beech

• Die Hard
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:37 PM

julien doesn't use a meter, he just licks his finger and puts it in the wind and is like 1/125 at f8.

seriously though, sunny 16 rule.
blog
Site
Flickr

bro i got a summicron i don't need to be able to see colour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users