Photo

Vx1000 Auto/manual Focus

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 AnthonySkates

AnthonySkates
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:13 AM

Can someone tell me why I get better results on auto focus rather than when I manual focus. Shooting long lens ofcourse.
What I do to manual focus...
I zoom all the way in on auto & zoom back out on manual than I use the focus wheel till I get the circle in the middle solid.
From my knowledge it should always be on auto when shooting fish. Any replys would be helpful. Thanks.
Lagit: SK858
Youtube: Just 4 Kicks Subscribe & Add

#2 sneazpees123

sneazpees123

You party?

• Established Member
  • 510 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:24 AM

always manual focus.

#3 Markie

Markie
  • Die Hard
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:14 AM

yeah, it's always better to manual focus. although 'how to use fisheye' guides always tell you not to..

#4 rey

rey
  • Established Member
  • 791 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:13 PM

when you manual focus for long lens you have to zoom all the way into whatever your filming then manual focus then zoom out
if you zoom out then manual focus you arent focusing on anything far away so it will be out of focus when you zoom in

#5 Alex Casteel

Alex Casteel
  • Die Hard
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:16 PM

when you manual focus for long lens you have to zoom all the way into whatever your filming then manual focus then zoom out
if you zoom out then manual focus you arent focusing on anything far away so it will be out of focus when you zoom in

exactly do this and you'll see how better it looks.

#6 Dr. Doak

Dr. Doak
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:18 PM

Knowing a thing or two about DOF helps.

If you're shooting at like f5.6, your DOF isn't very shallow. What this means is that you won't have a small plane of focus. This means (in the most basic sense), there are more objects in focus than out of focus. So if you're going to focus and are shooting at f5.6 or above, you can essentially zoom in all the way and focus in on the furthest away object (clouds, tree lines, whatever) and then everything else will be fine.

If you're shooting lower than f5.6, like f2.8, then your going to have a shallow DOF, which means your plane of focus is smaller. This is when you only zoom in/focus on the subject or obstacle you're shooting. If you zoom all the way in and focus on the furthest away object, that object will be in focus, but everything else in front of it won't.

It's just something you gotta go out there and observe and figure out the best way for you to deal with it. I never use auto focus.

#7 AnthonySkates

AnthonySkates
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:40 PM

thanks alot you guys, very helpfull. Another question is how would you manual focus fish?

#8 Luke F

Luke F

aka natesherwood

• Die Hard
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

for fisheye, just turn it on auto and point the lens at where you are gonna film, like the skater. Have auto focus on and wait until it focuses completely, then switch it to manual. Then it will be perfect for as long as you are filming with it and you won't have any problems unless you bump the focus ring.

#9 ConnorO'Day

ConnorO'Day

k

• Die Hard
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:57 PM

this^

fisheye and auto may make the focus jump

#10 AnthonySkates

AnthonySkates
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:37 AM

well ya I notice on auto it jumps out of focus alot on fish. I still think i get better results on auto though.

#11 wes.

wes.

staystackin.com

• 2,384 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:40 AM

if you think that, then use the push auto button.... holding that down will put the focus on auto... when its focused.. let it go, it will then switch to manual, locking the focus at where it says..

that is of course, if you can't manually focus, even with the focus assist meter... the two triangles and the circle, when the circle is filled in, its focused... bada bing, bada boom.

HVX200 | 60d

staystackin

you don't need all 48 thousand members here to tell you that when a couple have already told the facts.

#12 AnthonySkates

AnthonySkates
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:50 AM

if you think that, then use the push auto button.... holding that down will put the focus on auto... when its focused.. let it go, it will then switch to manual, locking the focus at where it says..
that is of course, if you can't manually focus, even with the focus assist meter... the two triangles and the circle, when the circle is filled in, its focused... bada bing, bada boom.

ill try that. I was wondering what the "push auto" was for.

#13 JulianL

JulianL
  • Die Hard
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:10 AM

I have talked to filmbot, and he says: ALLWAYS MANUAL !!!! especially for fisheye, sometimes clips go blurry when filming fisheye, because it will go out of focus if your keep getting closer then panning out.