Photo

Presentation Font Cache

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 clancy52206

clancy52206

violent jj

• Established Member
  • 552 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:53 PM

for whatever reason, presentationfontcache.exe on my system processes is taking up absurd amounts of cpu usage

it currently says 1.228495E7%, i'm not really sure what that means but is usually goes upwards of 8,000,000% which i don't even think is possible?

as a result of this when i look at my cpu usage, one of my cores is always in the high nineties while the other one varies

i know this isn't normal but i really don't know what to do about it, has anyone heard of this or know how to fix it?

#2 Sideonecincy

Sideonecincy

The 513

• 3,481 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:29 PM

If you don't use Windows Presentation Foundation, then disable it.

Go to Run and type in "services.msc" and find it in there. At that point you can disable it.

Another option is to possibly upgrade your .Net Framework if you are working in Visual Studio or need it for VB purposes.
My (relation) has a new (tech item), and it's always (choose one: freezing, crashing, under performing). On the other hand, my (other tech item) is much better and it's totally better than (tech item), it even has (feature/app) that doesn't come on (tech item), and it was doing that (time period) ago. I pity those fools who use (tech item).

#3 clancy52206

clancy52206

violent jj

• Established Member
  • 552 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

i did that and looked and it was not on the list of services

would closing it from the processes menu in the task manager damage anything?

#4 GnarMachine

GnarMachine

Beep.

• 4,934 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

i did that and looked and it was not on the list of services

would closing it from the processes menu in the task manager damage anything?

It shouldn't. If for some reason it caused the system to hang you could always reboot. But the goal is to find out what the .exe is associated with and stop it from running. If it runs on startup it will be in msconfig under startup or services, like Sideonecincy said. Also, is your system up to date with all the newest windows updates?

#5 clancy52206

clancy52206

violent jj

• Established Member
  • 552 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

i guess i should have started by saying that my computer has some glitch on it that makes a pop up come on every time i sign in saying i have to register windows, when i do this it brings me to a screen saying windows is already registered hit ok, i then hit ok and it signs me off

so for a while i couldn't even get on, but i managed to find a way to open the internet through some shortcuts, and ultimately get access to the rest of my desktop through some other weird glitch that occurs when i try to open a file on the internet

theres a good chance that's the reason for this strange process

but........i just killed the process and it lowered my cpu usage like i hoped it would so thank you

on a seperate note, i have been having all of my flash videos randomly lag the last couple of days

i thought this problem with the cpu usage would fix it, but i kiilled the process and everything still lags, it's not my service because i have three bars and it stays at "good"

does anyone know what's going on with this?

#6 Sormáz

Sormáz

Interesting

• Established Member
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:30 PM

cpu usage isn't going to effect your connection speed. what do you mean by 'everything lags'? windows itself (opening applications, closing them etc), games or just general internet?

run a test at speedtest.net and post back with the results

wHY WUD U listen to sormaz??everyone here knows hes the novelty mod!!LaClaire thought itd b funny 2 make sum random bowzo a mod so they gave it to sormaz. I mean i guess hes cleaned up his acta lilttle(he used to be the videodrome/early nanarac of sp) but hies still n idiot!!

irc.rizon.net
#perception

#7 clancy52206

clancy52206

violent jj

• Established Member
  • 552 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:52 PM

http://www.speedtest...t/682834846.png

by lags i mean the videos buffer really slow, so instead of just watcing the videos i have to pause them and let them load first instead of just watching immediately

#8 GnarMachine

GnarMachine

Beep.

• 4,934 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

It sounds like your installation of windows is pretty messed up if you need to do that much work just to get access to most of your system. Sounds like backing up your data and doing a reinstall may be a good idea at this point.

#9 clancy52206

clancy52206

violent jj

• Established Member
  • 552 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:09 PM

yeah, i was planning on doing that a while ago but procrastination and an inability to find a reformat disc have pushed it off