Photo

Your Preferred Settings On Your Dslr

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 DGKSON

DGKSON
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:22 AM

Hey guys,

I thought it would be really cool to discuss setting's you commonly use on your DLSR camera, in different situations and using different settings.. I'm new to filming with an SLR, and like many people, am trying to get comfortable in as many different situations as possible.

So what settings do you commonly use in different situation's of filming skating? (Fisheye, long lense and prime shot's) and what changes when you film still shots, panning shots, follow/rolling shots?

I'd love to hear any advice in regards to aperture, shutter, iso etc in different skating situations.

#2 Create

Create
  • Established Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

i usually shoot 1/50 1920x1080 24fps with the lowest iso possible

picture style neutral with contrast and sharpness all the way down and color level down 2 notches with highlight tone priority on. i shot some stuff with superflat and cinegamma s curve and the work it takes in post to make that footage look good is almost not worth it.

#3 GL2FilmerGuy

GL2FilmerGuy

Sponsored By Canon

• 3,093 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:54 PM

I shoot sharpness at 2, and everything else almost all the way down. I always shoot at 160 ISO too, in order to get the lowest noise. If I'm not gonna do CC, I just use standard settings, but with ISO 160.

Skateperception: bringing you 4 years of sexual harassment.

Nikon just got uppercutted by Johnny Cage, into the pit.

5D MKIII
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image x2

#4 TimFok

TimFok
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

Shooting on my 7D.

Picture style: (based on Standard) Sharpness 2, contrast -4, saturation -1.

General settings:

Highlight priority tone - OFF
Noise Reduction - OFF
Auto Lighting Optimiser - OFF
Peripheral Illumination - OFF
Color Space: the standard one (is it sRGB?)

Framerate:

25p for general
24p for cinematic stuff.
50p for slomo

Aperture:

f/2.8 for shallow.
f/5.6 for general.
f/11 for deep.
f/11-16 for fish eye.

ISO:

160, 320 and 640 for general.
1250 & 1600 for lowlight.

Shutter speed:

1/50th for cinematic
1/100th for cinematic 50p
1/125th for skating.
1/250th for skating 50p.

White balance:

usually a preset, I keep a custom tungsten loaded most of the time as the preset isn't that good. I use custom also for cinematic stuff.

That's it off the top of my head.

#5 Deltron

Deltron

Dam It Feels Good To Be A Gangster

• Die Hard
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

Framerate:

25p for general
24p for cinematic stuff.
50p for slomo

so i should shoot normal skate tricks in 1080 30, slow mo 720 60, and cinematic shots 1080 24... and if that is true... then how can i mix all three into a timeline... (example)1080 30 for tricks...1080 24 for like cinematic broll shots at the skatepark or whatever....and 720 60 for the slowmo skate tricks/broll whatever...is that possible to mix all the different frame rates into one sequence on the timeline or is that a stupid idea? should i just shoot the skate tricks in 1080 24? or just the cine broll shots in 1080 30...these questions may seem obsurd,,, but im so used to just shooting everything in 720 24pn on my hpx and im about to sell it and just go balls out with the 7d...thanks man...
zandertt: if you care... i just dominated a pimple 1 handedly w/o a mirror
Vouch List
Sellers-Mr. Ryan, r3dcloud, jenkins, dip2Black.
Buyers-Mr. Ryan, Mathis, jenkins, covrt,P.V.G, Acensionskate
Skate Press
JASON JENKINS LOVES THE COCK

#6 skateruptown

skateruptown
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:47 PM

so i should shoot normal skate tricks in 1080 30, slow mo 720 60, and cinematic shots 1080 24... and if that is true... then how can i mix all three into a timeline... (example)1080 30 for tricks...1080 24 for like cinematic broll shots at the skatepark or whatever....and 720 60 for the slowmo skate tricks/broll whatever...is that possible to mix all the different frame rates into one sequence on the timeline or is that a stupid idea? should i just shoot the skate tricks in 1080 24? or just the cine broll shots in 1080 30...these questions may seem obsurd,,, but im so used to just shooting everything in 720 24pn on my hpx and im about to sell it and just go balls out with the 7d...thanks man...

Friend of mine just sold his whole hvx setup also and went nuts on his 7D, i shoot a t2i and he shoots 7d, for all skateing we shoot 720 60p because really do you know what you want slow mo all the time? and i dont think its possible to to change the frame rate from 60 to 24 to 30 on a time line. I dont even know if any of this helped :( but hey its my input.

#7 RE1000

RE1000

若いベース神

• 4,034 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:51 PM

Friend of mine just sold his whole hvx setup also and went nuts on his 7D, i shoot a t2i and he shoots 7d, for all skateing we shoot 720 60p because really do you know what you want slow mo all the time? and i dont think its possible to to change the frame rate from 60 to 24 to 30 on a time line. I dont even know if any of this helped :( but hey its my input.

I wouldn't shoot everything at 60p, it looks "surreal" and very weird when played at 24fps.

sorry ray, shake isn't amused by your "trapping"

GRADE SELECT GOODS

#8 TimFok

TimFok
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:00 AM

Yeh don't mixed framerates on the same timeline.

When I was referring to 'slomo, general, and cinematic' I was referring to completely separate shoots. Before I get footage, I plan what it's for and what frame rate it needs to be in before I get started.

In you situation, I would shoot everything in either 30p or 24p (your choice, although 30p will probably be a better call for skating). Then if you want something in slomo, film it in 60p.

I wouldn't film everything in 60p, to me that's a dumb idea. Your losing resolution, and increasing your chances of aliasing. Plus as Rich said, it looks surreal when played back in standard motion. It's also lazy...

#9 Deltron

Deltron

Dam It Feels Good To Be A Gangster

• Die Hard
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:40 AM

I wouldn't film everything in 60p, to me that's a dumb idea. Your losing resolution, and increasing your chances of aliasing. Plus as Rich said, it looks surreal when played back in standard motion. It's also lazy...

Thanks Tim, that awas my assumed route, but had to ask, and as far as shooting everything in 60p, i definitly did that by accident my first little montage with the 7d and it looked super weird, and "surreal" almost like the skater was moving 1 mile per hour fast for everything... weird... cheers, thanks again.
zandertt: if you care... i just dominated a pimple 1 handedly w/o a mirror
Vouch List
Sellers-Mr. Ryan, r3dcloud, jenkins, dip2Black.
Buyers-Mr. Ryan, Mathis, jenkins, covrt,P.V.G, Acensionskate
Skate Press
JASON JENKINS LOVES THE COCK

#10 TheD3

TheD3

Frisky Business

• Die Hard
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

If I'm in video mode on my T2i, how do I change the ISO and shutter speed?

#11 namtot

namtot
  • Established Member
  • 779 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:35 PM

press the iso button and then turn the dial for the preferred iso. for the shutter speed all you have to do is turn the same dial without pressing anything.