Photo

How To : Make A Homemade Handle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
354 replies to this topic

#1 Rob.A

Rob.A

Leans Back

• Established Member
  • 813 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 05:31 PM

Well, I was asked by a couple users to make this tutorial on how to make my handle. This tutorial is directed towards the Canon Optura10/20 cameras but can easily be modified to fit almost any small 1chip.

First you'll need the materials. All of these can be found at your local hardwear store, I got my stuff at ACE Hardwear.

1: 1/4" Thick 1" Wide Aluminum bar. (At least 20 inches for Optura models)
2: Electrical Tape
3: Screw in nob (To hold camera to handle, MUST BE SAME SIZE/THREAD AS TRIPOD HOLE ON CAMERA, I BROUGHT MY CAMERA TO THE STORE TO MAKE SURE OF THIS)
4: 2 Rubber washers
5: Bicycle Grip

Posted Image

Step 1
Place the aluminum bar under your camera and mark with a Sharpie where you will need to drill the hole that will hold the handle to your camera. Also mark a little bit behind where the back of your camera ends. This mark will be where you put the first bend and will most likely be a right angle bend.

Step 2
Find a drill bit size thats a tad bigger than the thread on the knob. Once you find the right drill bit size, drill a hole where you made the mark for your tripod hole. Once its drilled, test to see if the knob slides easily in and out of the hole. If it doesn't, use the nect biggest drill bit until it does. If it does, continue.

Step 3
Now your ready to make the first bend. Having a bench vice for this comes in handy but there are other methods to bend the aluminum. What I did was put the aluminum in the vice and locked the vice right onto the mark I made in Step 1. Slowly pull backwards towards you until the aluminum is at a right angle. If you don't have a vice, place the aluminum under your shoe and pull upwards until its at a right angle.

Step 4
Now that you have your first bend, you can screw the handle onto your camera to see where you will need to make your second and final bend. To do this, mark a 1/2" above where your viewfinder ends to allow room for the bend and your hand to fit once this thing is done.

Step 5
Back to the vice. For this bend, you don't want it to be a right angle, you want a nice even curve to this so its comfortable and when you hold it, depending on where your holding it, the cameras tilt will be perfect for what ever it is your filming.

Step 6
OK, the bending is done, time to make it look good. For this you will need some electrical tape. Wrap the entire handle in electrical tape. This makes it look better and protect your camera from scratches that the bare aluminum could make. When finished, poke a hole where the knob goes thru.

Step 7
Slide the bicycle grip onto the top of your camera for extra comfort. Also, put those 2 rubber washers you bought onto the knob, these washers prevent the knob from bottoming out in the cameras tripod hole.

Optional Additions
For those of you out there that have Bescors, this addition will allow you to use your beloved light with your fresh new handle. Its very simple, just find the correct size drill bit, slide the bicycle grip back, drill a hole on the top, center of the handle and this allows you to screw in your Bescor for those night lines.

Posted Image

Here are some pictures of the handle. After carefully reading the intructions and looking at these pictures, making this handle should be pretty darn easy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hope this helps and if you make a handle from these intructions, please post pictures of your own creation.

Rob.A

#2 Cope

Cope

BURN ONEE

• Die Hard
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 10:24 PM

nice... im gonna get the shit tommorow my dad looked at this and likes it.. alot.

#3 uttke

uttke
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:44 AM

thanksPosted Image
we are the beach patrol, we like to party

#4 minnird

minnird

Hawaiian Kiwi

• Die Hard
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:01 AM

how stable are those? I think I must have used 1/8" because mine was a little bit flimsy. Your's looks nice and stable.
Vouch List-
Sellers:
-RyanNowosielski
-P.V.G.
Buyers:
-nollie_pop
-Terrible4130
-ad4mgsr
-Maximus

#5 Rob.A

Rob.A

Leans Back

• Established Member
  • 813 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:40 AM

Yeah mines real stable, Im gonna get something though to stick thru the bottom of the handle to go into that little hole in front of the tripod hole to make it even more stable.

#6 32rider32

32rider32

^You can never take away his heart

• Die Hard
  • 8,679 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 06:12 AM

Such a sick handle, i'f i was keeping my optura i'd definately do this.

32rider32 > you

#7 uttke

uttke
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:30 PM

to keep the tape compartment from getting damaged i taped down half of a black rubber hose on the bottom to cushion and it helps keep the camera in place. i used the other half of the hose on the inside of the bike grip and it makes it round and keeps it from moving.
we are the beach patrol, we like to party

#8 Rob.A

Rob.A

Leans Back

• Established Member
  • 813 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:41 PM

to keep the tape compartment from getting damaged i taped down half of a black rubber hose on the bottom to cushion and it helps keep the camera in place. i used the other half of the hose on the inside of the bike grip and it makes it round and keeps it from moving.

Good idea but my tape compartment has remained undamaged from using this handle.

#9 austinwells

austinwells
  • Established Member
  • 836 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:18 PM

just wondering but since the handle is blocking the view finder, do you have to set your colors in the lcd? or can you loosen the handle and move it and set the colors?

#10 OberstTheGermanKid

OberstTheGermanKid

Get over it.

• Die Hard
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 03:47 PM

That's a good q. I was wondering about that. Maybe rotate the handle?

#11 muzicfreak2k3

muzicfreak2k3
  • Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:49 PM

could you take it off to mount te camera on your tripod ?
the one and only

#12 will

will

• Die Hard
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:56 PM

could you take it off to mount te camera on your tripod ?

yes, its held in by the tripod screw on the bottom

#13 HSCG 05

HSCG 05

taco salad

• Members
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 10:16 PM

I ♥ this thread becuz it's so informative!
morning CREW

#14 nikesb23

nikesb23

steezy

• Die Hard
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:58 PM

that handle looks really stable and so nice to use.
www.iaisskatemedia.com

#15 32rider32

32rider32

^You can never take away his heart

• Die Hard
  • 8,679 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:03 PM

That's a good q. I was wondering about that. Maybe rotate the handle?

I wouldn't recommend this, i used to do that with this old ghetto ass handle i had, and it stripped my tripod hole. But oh well, i just made a handle that slides into my shoe mount, so it's good now.

32rider32 > you

#16 nikesb23

nikesb23

steezy

• Die Hard
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:22 PM

i might be wrong but arent all the tripod holes for cameras all the same, because i've had 4 different tripods and they always fit my camera..i think its 1/4..
www.iaisskatemedia.com

#17 HSCG 05

HSCG 05

taco salad

• Members
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:52 PM

so u think the tripod hole is 1/4?
morning CREW

#18 muzicfreak2k3

muzicfreak2k3
  • Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:04 AM

it is...for mine at least
the one and only

#19 HSCG 05

HSCG 05

taco salad

• Members
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:49 PM

alright... i'll check it out
morning CREW

#20 phil0

phil0
  • Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:03 AM

Yeah I think it is the same and also on digital camera's too.

Sweet tutorial by the way (Y)
Camera Fund : 46 / $92 (18/03/2006)