Photo

How To Defend Yourself And Your Camera....

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#121 Coronaskater

Coronaskater

tylerreiff

• Established Member
  • 942 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

One time i was riding home from the park at night and these guys in a car started following me and i recognized they were the guys that had been stealing boards and ipods from people so i just walked straight up to some random house and into the back yard and waited on the side where nobody could see me (luckily they had no dog) and they left...then i went straight home as fast as i could...probly saved my camera, board and spared me some bruising to my face aha.

#122 MWDIY

MWDIY
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:41 PM

mace/pepperspray has a 20ft. radius. good for far attacks if the thief is running, and to be prepared.

NOT a good idea to use pepper spray in a chase situation, since you'll end up running into the cloud.

#123 Moosy

Moosy

Worlds going to crazy now...

• Established Member
  • 938 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:09 PM

NOT a good idea to use pepper spray in a chase situation, since you'll end up running into the cloud.

hahha
I got two swiss army knifes fro christmas small and large, carry one of them now and the board is useful too. Luckily nothig has happned but I porbably just jinxed it.

Legit List:
Will Gregg(Local)
MFDOOM(Seller)
BraunDv(Trader)
levongroce(Seller)
Daniel Kusnir(Buyer)
Kameron(Buyer)
eminuss(Buyer)
RyanHoj(Buyer)
jessemiller(Seller)
Joey9(Seller)
zolocal(Seller)
JsloanFilms(Buyer)

Youtube

Vimeo

Photobucket

Hmc40/Mk1 Mod

#124 NicholasResendez

NicholasResendez

WsupDen photo

• Established Member
  • 631 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:18 PM

This was helpful!

#125 SamS

SamS

OH MY GOD

• Die Hard
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

i just went upstairs and grabbed a roll of pennies... i'm gonna keep those with me just in case haha thanks bro

Dam dood this is probably the best info ive ever gotton on SP thanks alot broski

second time i'm reading this and its very helpfull...i never tought about the ATM thing...also i don't know why, maybe because of my mom, im super carefull whenever pull out my camera to film, and every guy who looks a little bit suspicious, i check him every 5 seconds to see if he's looking at me or to see what he's doing.

woah thanks for all of this information, i go to some sketchy places sometimes but i haven't had to deal with people trying to steal my stuff until recently and i feel like this is gonna help me out

This was helpful!

I'm glad all of you guys like it! Makes me happy that I posted it all the time ago =D Hope it helps you guys out!

#126 Solo

Solo

skateboarding

• Die Hard
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:36 AM

How to defend yourself and your camera.

the only step is not to be a sucka.
+++ | blip.
++ | Youtube
+ | Legitimate users

go to my blog.

#127 jvdude

jvdude
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:49 PM

-Also another smart thing to do...If you are running away from an attacker/mugger I dont care how embarrased you are or how bad your voice sucks....YOU SCREAM YOUR HEAD OFF! the last thing an attacker wants its to have attention drawn to them!
Weapons to bring along...

this made me laugh hahaha

just bring a black guy

#128 arfeliciano21

arfeliciano21
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:03 PM

good stuff great tips!

#129 Rob M.

Rob M.

i am jay z

• Die Hard
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:39 PM

If your on the side of a major road somewhere and someone comes up to you and tries to mug you..... I suggest running like hell into the street waving your arms around because most likely you won't be hit by a car and a muggers not about to chase you into a street to steal from you.

i just dont like shirtless footy

Tube

#130 liamkennedy100

liamkennedy100
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:01 AM

thanks for these tips man
Youtube!

INSTAGRAM @filmerpiglet

#131 ZachBemis

ZachBemis
  • Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:31 PM

it was really interesting reading that lots of great things haha hopefully this never happens to me
Canon 7d, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 50mm 1.8, Opteka 6.5mm

#132 wpgslezak

wpgslezak
  • Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

best topic ever. its so scary when people ask you for your shit, and you give them the old "ooh its really shitty." speech.

but thankyou for this. because now i think im going to buy some mace or take a wrapper filled with coins xD
this was so helpful!

Vx1000 mk1 | Dvx100a mk2 | Nikon D5100 | Nikon D7000 | Pentax K1000 | Cigarettes  :wub: 
RIP WpgLucas

#133 RyanHoj

RyanHoj
  • Die Hard
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:47 PM

best topic ever. its so scary when people ask you for your shit, and you give them the old "ooh its really shitty." speech.

I hate that. But people are always asking me to see my gh2 and since its obviously new i just try to act like im paying attention to filming something and ignore them.

girls need to be watching the cooking network so they can make food for their man. maybe watch the folding clothes network after.

Panasonic GH2/Panasonic GH1 (hacked)/FD primes/
legit list in PROFILE.
click my avatar it brings you to spoogle.

#134 Big Punisher

Big Punisher

europe is safer than america

• Die Hard
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:14 PM

I hate that. But people are always asking me to see my gh2 and since its obviously new i just try to act like im paying attention to filming something and ignore them.

I just say no you can't see it. I know it sounds like I'm being a dick but it gets people to leave me alone about touching my shit.
Posted Image-TEAM HAILASIA KOTR 2012-Posted Image
Posted Image-TEAM HAILASIA KOTR 2011-Posted Image
Posted Image-TEAM HAILASIA KOTR 2010-Posted Image
Posted Image-TEAM HAILASIA KOTR 2009-Posted Image
Posted Image-TEAM HAILASIA KOTR 2008-Posted Image
GoldVX -TEAM HAILASIA KOTR 2007- GoldVX
SP Asian Nation Association

Lol. Yeah, ookaayyy, Elliot. You win.

#135 blairfx7

blairfx7
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:11 PM

Great thread, very helpful. I keep a gun on my hip when im out filming and expose it if i see some sketchy people near by.

#136 James B

James B

Goo goo g'joo.

• Die Hard
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:15 PM

I keep a gun on my hip when im out filming and expose it if i see some sketchy people near by.

Thats kind of a stupid idea... I never thought it was a good idea to have weapons on your person. What would happen if the person trying to mug you got a hold of it?
:3

#137 kid

kid

walking like zombies and speaking latin

• Die Hard
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:55 PM

who was it that got chased into a warehouse and there was police helicopters involved and stuff?

anyway, it is possible to kill someone if you hit them in the front of the head/face really hard. you push the bone called the crista galli; a small bone at the base of the front part of the brain and posterior to the sinus behind your nose, into the brain, and that bad. one of my teachers used to be a coroner or an autopsy technician or something, and she said that they once had a guy who fell of his bike and even though he was wearing a helmet and going slow, the way he fell caused him to do just that.
Flickr

On a lighter note I did run into a friend there who was simultaneously buying Plan B and a Valentines card.

#138 rrrigel

rrrigel
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:51 AM

Sorry for the bump but this was very interesting to me.

who was it that got chased into a warehouse and there was police helicopters involved and stuff?

Can someone please explain this, I'd love to hear about it.

One time, a group of my friends (5 or 6 of them- keep in mind we're only 13-15 so we're not tall or strong or anything) went to a park in a semi-sketchy area. As they were leaving, 2 locals came up and said 'If you show up again, we'll smash your faces' or something like that. I wasn't there, so I can't tell if they were intimidating them or actually being serious. Anyway like a month later we felt like going back to skate that park and we went there fairly early (Like getting there at 9:30am) and there was no one there. When we left around 12 there was still no one there, so that kinda proves the point that a guy said a while back about going to sketchy areas earlier, because honestly, most of that bad shit happens later on.

And if you do skate and film at night, unless you have a big number, it might be smarter to: instead of going at midnight on Friday night (Where more people would be getting drunk and shit), go Saturday morning at like 4 or 5am or before it gets light. By then a majority of drunks would either be home, or passed out somewhere aha).

If you have a camera bag which clearly says a camera companies' name on it (My 200EG says 'Canon' on the front of it) it could become a thief's target if you leave it out of sight or even on a different side of a park/ spot. I recently just purchased a patch to put over the logo, so it looks like a childs bag (What kind of thief wants a kids Cookie Monster bag ;) ). I'm usually pretty anal but keeping my bag close to me at all times, but I've never had any bad incidents so it pays off.

I always try to keep my bag zipped and ready to go in case I have to grab it and run from someone. Like, even if I have my camera out, I'll zip it up and make sure I can grab it, my board and get the hell out of somewhere. It may help to keep your camera recording if you have it and someone tries to take it. and if they're getting it, like they've pulled a gun or something- if you had it recording, stop it, try popping the memory card or tape out, drop your shit and back off- you have evidence. go to somewhere where there is people, preferably adults- like a gas station or a convenience store. if your phone got jacked, ask to borrow a phone so you can call your parents.

If you do happen to have an issue- lets say, your filming on a set of stairs and all your buddies are riding it and someone comes up and threatens to take your bag or camera or something- call out for your friends aha, it seems kinda obvious but dont be scared to make a scene. If they clearly dont have a weapon then get your friends over to back you up. No one wants to deal with 7 people with skateboards.

I've had some assholes on Facebook threaten to 'truckfuck' me for 'being a smartass' (Liking my friends' comment's in an argument) but honestly, if they threaten you over Facebook/ the internet- unless they've done stuff to someone before, they're probably some lame internet pussy, who wont do shit. Just in case, it might be wise to get some of your friends to come skating with you if you want to be on the safe side. 2 weeks later, they havent done jack shit.

My skating group is super weird though, I'm the youngest, 13 (14 in March), then the oldest turns 17 on the 18th of January. We're all buddies, but it definitely helps to have a well-built, 17 year old with stretched ears and a nose-piercing coming with you (Which is pretty funny, because he is actually the nicest dude- who wouldn't ever hurt someone unless it was in self-defense).

Again, sorry for the bump, but I thought I'd share my 'experiences'.
Cheers for this thread, it's pretty useful.

#139 bosco

bosco

オリンパスボーイ

• Established Member
  • 877 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

i use a small monopod that can extend really far, im like 5`4 and i got my friend whos over 6 feet down to the ground (just fucking around)

monopods are cheap and mines metal so it hasnt broken yet

#140 mrodfilms

mrodfilms
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

I'm getting some nice brass knuckles

those are illegal. I think your best bet is pepper spray or just not even put yourself in that situation in the first place. you can always come back and get the trick another day.
vx1/mk1
www.youtube.com/user/skatingnshit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users