Photo

Ahhhhhh!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#21 MikeKomornick

MikeKomornick
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:46 AM

just be like yo throw me a halfy o dat chicken nowison shit wit a 40 and you can slap my shit wherever you please.

Being boss.

#22 JediMcNick

JediMcNick
  • Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:24 AM

i honestly think that's fucking stupid to ask for money. seriously, what else are your photos going to be doing besides sitting in your flickr? and if they don't want to pay you, they'll just find someone else's pictures to put up.

#23 Curtis.

Curtis.

hey, i'm back.

• 10,223 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:30 AM

And it starts...

her jace is jacked. plus i don't want all that airbrushing to rub off onto any part of my body for fear of being erased.

http://fourcorners.tumblr.com

#24 RyanKellyPhoto

RyanKellyPhoto
  • Established Member
  • 782 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:55 AM

And it starts...

Flaming?
Flickr.
(formerly iKnowDatAlfabat)

#25 sos

sos
  • Supermod
  • 9,037 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:57 AM

Don't feel bad. They're the reason skateboarding has a bad rep. Fuck them.

ppppssshhhhhffffff

my thoughts exactly.

i honestly think that's fucking stupid to ask for money. seriously, what else are your photos going to be doing besides sitting in your flickr? and if they don't want to pay you, they'll just find someone else's pictures to put up.

what else would any other photographers photos be doing if somebody isn't paying for them? being given away for free? not much of an industry. bottom line is, their site is there to help generate profits, so it shouldn't be a big deal to toss someone a few bucks or some product, some kind of compensation, to use someone's photos. i think you're fucking stupid for thinking it's fucking stupid. yeahhhh, now what son?

#26 JediMcNick

JediMcNick
  • Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:38 PM

what else would any other photographers photos be doing if somebody isn't paying for them? being given away for free? not much of an industry. bottom line is, their site is there to help generate profits, so it shouldn't be a big deal to toss someone a few bucks or some product, some kind of compensation, to use someone's photos. i think you're fucking stupid for thinking it's fucking stupid. yeahhhh, now what son?

compensation would be nice, because getting paid is always nice. but honestly, if you're trying to make money off of photography, you should go digital and stop shooting skateboarding and start shooting weddings.

i figure mostly everyone on here is shooting for the love of it, so why should it matter if one of your shots is featured on a website for free? i actually want people to see some of the work i've worked harder on, even if i don't get paid, because i'm that proud of it.

#27 f.64

f.64

too long

• Die Hard
  • 5,142 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:19 PM

compensation would be nice, because getting paid is always nice. but honestly, if you're trying to make money off of photography, you should go digital and stop shooting skateboarding and start shooting weddings.

i figure mostly everyone on here is shooting for the love of it, so why should it matter if one of your shots is featured on a website for free? i actually want people to see some of the work i've worked harder on, even if i don't get paid, because i'm that proud of it.

i dont like you

and i shoot strickly for money i hate photography

#28 i STILL owe tuney a print

i STILL owe tuney a print
  • 6,980 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:06 PM

I apologize in advance Curtis...

You're completely missing the point, it's about giving shit away for free to companies who DON'T NEED to be helped out. It has nothing to do with trying to make money off photography, it has to do with not being a bitch and taking it up the ass by a company that has interest in your photos. It fucks up the whole industry because now companies can get photos for free off amateurs who get stoked on the thought of having a photo credit. How are the pro photographers supposed to compete with that? Then when they do get some business the company scoffs at the photographer's fairly priced invoice because last month some jackass gave his photos away for the fine price of having his name in size 8 font in the corner of the photo. I've talked to many people in the action sports industry and it was already hard enough to get payed what you deserve, now with this new bread of DSLR toting "photographers" giving away photos for free it's nearly impossible. I would never sell my photos for a damn photo credit, I put far too much time, money, and work into them and they are worth much more than that to me.

Companies want maximum profits, so of course they will ask if they can have your photo in return for credit. If you remain professional and express that you don't give photos away for free, they may be willing to negotiate if they are truly hyped on your photo. I've had that happen and ended up getting payed fairly well for photos to be used at a local skate shop. They had 2 locations and were just about to open a 3rd, so it was obvious their business was booming and they could afford to pay me. The owner at first said he didn't have the money to pay me but after a few back and forth emails we worked out a deal that was good for both of us. If the company refuses to pay and decides to not use your photo it's obvious they don't care about the technical and creative aspects. They just want a free photo and aren't worth you're time anyway.

If Baker wants photos from an event, they can damn well hire a photographer or buy photos off somebody who was there. They are an internationally known company and definitely have the money. The only time I would give photos away for free is if it was a grassroots company my buddy was just starting out, and even then I would let them know once they get up on their feet they are going to have to start paying me if they want photos.

/rant
I dont know man, I really hate drama and for better or worse I assume that every woman from Colombia is going to be crazy like the chick from the movie Blow, which is more bullshit that I'm willing to deal with.
-kyle bunker
flickr

#29 Curtis.

Curtis.

hey, i'm back.

• 10,223 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:56 PM

No need for an apology. That's exactly the kind of post I wanted in here.

Can we end it here? JediMcNick read away and refrain from posting anymore nonsense. That should clear things up for you.

her jace is jacked. plus i don't want all that airbrushing to rub off onto any part of my body for fear of being erased.

http://fourcorners.tumblr.com

#30 kohlton

kohlton

whore

• Die Hard
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:49 AM

who wantz $ anywayz

If you come anywhere near Chicago, I promise I will find you and break your cameras.

website, bro

#31 MikeyN

MikeyN

Soul Photographer, bro.

• Die Hard
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:45 AM

soul sk8er photographer, bro.

#32 kohlton

kohlton

whore

• Die Hard
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:34 AM

yeah right, I'm joining team x-blades.

If you come anywhere near Chicago, I promise I will find you and break your cameras.

website, bro

#33 EspSkate

EspSkate
  • Die Hard
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:58 AM

ahh beautiful. Sig'd

But seriously, I work for a local shop right now, and have gotten quite satisfactory pay for previous shooting assignments. However, as the shop grows, more folks in the area are sending photos in for the very same reason as outlined here... getting stoked on their work being used. I've spent over $2,000 on my setup and intend to offer top quality work, but when somebody offers a mediocre photo for free that can still be marketable in some way... well shit, i'm kinda screwed.

#34 Sepehr

Sepehr

seh-pare

• Die Hard
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:29 PM

I remember seeing their sales figures online somewhere a couple months ago, they make a lot of money, but it isnt necessarily valid in this point in
Posted Image _ Best skate silhouette.
Posted Image _ Best all around skate photo.
Legit:
S0CA. fuji. f.64

Just because the glass is German, it doesn't mean the photo is good.
SepehrPhoto.com
twitter