Photo

Should More Americans Be Learning Spanish As A Second Language ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

Poll: Spanglish

Should more Americans be learning Spanish as a second language ?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 mctomch

mctomch
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:14 PM

hot ass women

No joke, my roommate and I were on the bus one day and this group of smoking hot girls were speaking in Spanish. He lived in Mexico for a few years as a kid and is pretty fluent in it, so he eventually joins in their convo. Girls were shocked that this Irish looking kid could speak Spanish so well. He eventually wheeled one home while I sat there just :rolleyes: the whole time.

I just don't see how people look negatively at your country/city for having residents that speak many languages living within it. It makes for a much more dynamic community, one thing that American suburbs severly lack. They're the most boring place I've been.

If a company hires an employee that can barely speak English, that's their own problem and it will probably piss off their uni-lingual customers. I've taken my business elsewhere when I couldn't understand the customer service rep. I also strangely enjoy it in some instances, when I'm trying to order chicken souvlaki and it takes 5 tries before the person understands that I do not want hot sauce on my rice. Those kinds of interactions can be comedic and add a zest to life.

Really, how do you guys expect somebody to come to this country ('merka) and live if you don't want them working until they can learn English? It just doesn't work that way.
I dont know man, I really hate drama and for better or worse I assume that every woman from Colombia is going to be crazy like the chick from the movie Blow, which is more bullshit that I'm willing to deal with.
-kyle bunker
flickr

#42 qp

qp
  • Die Hard
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:14 AM

No because Americans are right and the rest of the world is wrong so everyone who comes here should learn English or GTFO of America. It should be the American way or the highway, we don't need to learn some foreign mubo jumbo when it's them coming here. They should teach English and American ways in other countries because it's the best way to do it. Fucking duh. :rolleyes:

Jk, fuck you all and learn something new God dammit. We're all just humans living together.

#43 qp

qp
  • Die Hard
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:19 AM

Americans should, but most are too ignorant and think that learning spanish would be surrendering to the mexicans and glen beck says its bad. I think Chinese and Spanish should be taught in schools, i think its pretty common for chinese children to be taught english in schools.

FUN FACT

China is one of the largest English speaking countries.

#44 Julbrusch

Julbrusch
  • Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:40 AM

never in hell chinese would be taught as a second language anywhere... this shit is so hard even chinese work their asses off for 15 years to learn it.
Legit:
pm.jaa (longsleeve)
TomV->one_hour_photo (Minitrekker)
saginaw. (t-shirt)
nollie_bonks (beanie)
danb (gazelle)
dinosaurjr (gazelle x2)
gl2john (Mk1)
beauchandroll (sweater)
nfc565 (pending via pm.jaa)

UNLEGIT
Rickk ->AlexStenberg
Dmillz

#45 beartown

beartown

Half Man, Half Man, ALL COP

• 2,704 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:26 AM

never in hell chinese would be taught as a second language anywhere... this shit is so hard even chinese work their asses off for 15 years to learn it.

ha, just wait 15 years

1st Place Mustache Competition

1. You guys are pretty slow on updates.
2. Koston's on Lakai now...

dont really read out of school but in school im reading "the oddessy"

old book from like 1700's,not my thing.

Legit List
beartown

#46 mydogporkchop

mydogporkchop
  • Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:40 AM

im an AMERICAN that lives in AMERICA... why the fuck do i wanna learn another language. the only thing that would make me want to actually learn another language is if im moving to another country or visiting.
EDIT: okay in all seriousness.. i live in america, i really would only want to learn another language if im moving to another country or visiting. otherwise, whats the point of having languages?.. its already bad enough you cant understand half the people working at call centers for companies, and people at fast food chains (and much more obviously, dont take it too literally internet persons...) .. why would i want more

Your dad was in the army after he left the klan, wasn't he ?
Flickr
Tumblr

this could be a problem. if people geotag the pieces of the triforce then ganon will know exactly where they are.

#47 eskomo021

eskomo021

She has her doctorate in speech impedimentology from Case Wester

• Die Hard
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

I wish that my school would have taught me at least 2 other languages while i was younger and more suceptable to learning them.. I have a few friends that speak 3 other languages and i'm jealous of that. I'd love to be able to travel and not have to worry about not being able to communicate with the people in the country i'm visiting..

I think this country needs to start teaching the younger kids Spanish, and Chinese.. I'd love to speak both of those languages, as well as French, Italian, and maybe German.
The Janusis charlotte's dirty little secret

#48 mydogporkchop

mydogporkchop
  • Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:10 AM

French, Italian, and maybe German.

Only three I want, Spanish however, is a need.
Flickr
Tumblr

this could be a problem. if people geotag the pieces of the triforce then ganon will know exactly where they are.

#49 laplingroaker

laplingroaker
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:17 PM

i was in a french immersion program from k-5th grade. by far one of the best opportunities my parents made happen for me. im now in college and i seriously added a french major because it's easy and i'm fluent. all the teachers think i have a great accent because i learned it when i was so young.

those sorts of programs are incredibly effective. its crazy to think about the opportunities that my elementary school career created for me.

like what other people said it is an instant one up on competition for jobs and internships.

#50 dddrew.

dddrew.
  • Die Hard
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

i was in a french immersion program from k-5th grade. by far one of the best opportunities my parents made happen for me. im now in college and i seriously added a french major because it's easy and i'm fluent. all the teachers think i have a great accent because i learned it when i was so young.

those sorts of programs are incredibly effective. its crazy to think about the opportunities that my elementary school career created for me.

like what other people said it is an instant one up on competition for jobs and internships.

Yeah like i said, learning it while you grow up is a lot better. Trying to learn it at an older age is much harder and you need to devote a lot of time to it and be around it. Most people just don't have the patience at that age.

I chose to do a study on multilingual children vs monolingual children for my psychology class (we have to do a current event every week) and a lot of articles agreed that multilingual children tend to be smarter than monolingual children. Can't say its 100% true but a lot of surveys point toward it.
legitness
Kerisonking, Sparereel, SamS, HarrisonG, Hocusbogus, dylan h., Lorhin, Jacob078, CSCproductions101, .andreas
Escapistwhat, ampAlex, Brydon, lw33zy15, LukeS., BennetNick., dudeletsgoskate, jneedz, hypnotize, Tanner!, Its rob

camera history
FX1 > DVX100Bmk2 > VX1Kmk1 > VX2100mk1 > DVX100B > VX2100mk1 > empty bag
NOW SEARCHING FOR A DSLR

#51 Bitch

Bitch

Killin it since 07'

• Die Hard
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:33 PM

fuck no this is American bitch land of the fuckin free

not such a fan, i met him a zumiez and hes a douche back.

i dint see anything 5 set+.
boring

some peoples stupidity never seizes to amaze me....

Banned In D.C.

#52 fabriceooo

fabriceooo
  • Established Member
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:22 PM

fuck no this is American bitch land of the fuckin free

Posted Image
tumblr.mine
flickr
vimeo

Srsly, this place is just one big jerk circle being filmed with a vx1000.

#53 hot_chocolate

hot_chocolate
  • Established Member
  • 857 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

based on experience, i took spanish 7-10th grade, didn't particularly enjoy it, and when i had the option to drop it junior year i did, though i decided to go to boces in the AM, which would've forced me to eliminate spanish. i'm a senior now, and at my last 2 jobs, which were after 10th grade, i worked at delis, both that employed hispanics, especially the first one, and with my basic spanish i was able to communicate 10x better than i would've not knowing a single word. and the spanish i was speaking was very broken and terrible, but still, native spanish speakers are able to pick up very easily. i noticed, when i would try and imitate a spanish accent when talking to a hispanic at my jobs, they would have more trouble understanding than if i spoke shit spanish with a plain american sound.

example:

"omar, donde esta las guantes? no hay mas." (omar, where are the gloves? there are no more) <-- referring to white gloves a deli attendant would use

hispanics pick up so easily that for time's sake i could've said:

"omar no guantes, donde??????" (which translates to omar no gloves, where????)

and not only would they understand, but without question. for christ sake, i could've learned how to speak a broken spanish sentence when i was like 8. that's how easy it is..... so why not learn it? why not have the upper hand over the non-spanish speaker? why be part of the growing crowd of ignorant americans that stand with "if you come to america speak english"?

why not consider that south and central americans were in the western hemisphere before the pilgrims...

in all honesty, at this day and age, have we forgotten that the country is designed for outsiders to come in and settle? and this is all directed to the haters (i know there are only a few, just putting my 2 cents in). i know one day i want to leave the US and travel to some country where I may have to speak another language, let alone spanish. for the rest of yall, have fun in amerka
legit:
scottp014 - windows whackness - rileyy - euromovic
clancy52206 - coryquigley - knoxnj - otherhood
lukenoseda - sackofsuck - harrychristy - big boy
kyle woodhall - iSkate - MIA - pm.jaa

not legit:
bammargera

#54 dddrew.

dddrew.
  • Die Hard
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

you have to understand also that languages weren't meant to be translated into different languages. there 2 different meanings but translation tries to make the 2 sound the same and you lose tons of content.
legitness
Kerisonking, Sparereel, SamS, HarrisonG, Hocusbogus, dylan h., Lorhin, Jacob078, CSCproductions101, .andreas
Escapistwhat, ampAlex, Brydon, lw33zy15, LukeS., BennetNick., dudeletsgoskate, jneedz, hypnotize, Tanner!, Its rob

camera history
NOW SEARCHING FOR A DSLR

#55 OwenF.

OwenF.
  • Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:32 PM

I'm trying to learn as much basic spanish as I can right now.

this

wow, so they're taking your dirty jobs. boo fucking hoo

I hate when people complain about mexicans getting hard ass jobs that americans wouldn't do in the first place. Without all the mexicans working in the fields (no racism/stereotyping intended, my spanish uncle runs a YMCA) our agricultural economy would crash.

Also, if Mexicans are supposed to learn English like some of you are suggesting, then eventually THEY will be the better potential employers by knowing both English and Spanish (or their kids will).

You guys are just diigging yourself a hole with that way of thinking.

Most mexican immigrants learn english just from living here anyways, haha.

I took spanish one last year because i wanted to learn it and i have mexican relatives, i didn't feel comfortable with going to spanish two my freshmen year so i'm taking 1 again. And now im surrounded by typical retarded freshmen that were forced to take a foreign language and act like assclowns because they don't want to be in the class and take up valuable time in free foreign language classes that i could be using to ask questions so i understand the language better. That roseta stone shit is like 250 dollars per language, fuck that, i can go to school and learn it for free. Like the other guys on here have said foreign language should be taught at an early age because your mind is more excepting to new information and the kids don't have an opinion on whether they want to learn it or not so it's a lot easier on the teacher and allows more time to be spent on teaching it. I remember when i was in kindergarten i was taught one letter from the alphabet in sign language everyday and i still remember most of it even though i haven't used it in 9 years.

so yes, spanish, or a foreign language for that matter, should be manditory in american public school systems. All the benefits have basicall been pointed out already so yeah..
flickr

i don't even care what i think, thats why im so sucessful

#56 thefucingchamp

thefucingchamp
  • Die Hard
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

Yes, though it should go both ways. I work with a lot of Spanish and Brazilian people and most of them speak at least basic English (some speak it very fluently), but it helps to know some Spanish/Portuguese as well. The only person that gets on my nerves is this one lady who knows basically NO English and she's been living here a long time. I just don't understand her seeming refusal to learn some basics.

#57 dick fitzwell

dick fitzwell

droppin shit like some horses

• 7,445 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:34 PM

i can't have much say on this matter but it sounds like a good thing because your country really does at times give off the impression that you don't know anywhere outside of the USA even exists. obviously i'm not aiming this at you guys as this place is a bad example of that, and this is a huge generalisation, but i see it.
BRIGHTON & HOVE SKATEBOARDING YOUTUBE CHANNEL WET SUSSEX INTERVIEW AND INFO

follow the path forums.skateperception.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=89278&view=findpost&p=1364996

I don't really wear tight pants anymore, I stick to loose fit Express Jeans.

#58 OwenF.

OwenF.
  • Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:36 PM

i can't have much say on this matter but it sounds like a good thing because your country really does at times give off the impression that you don't know anywhere outside of the USA even exists. obviously i'm not aiming this at you guys as this place is a bad example of that, and this is a huge generalisation, but i see it.

There's a kid in my biology class that honest to god, didn't know that Florida, the state bordering us to the south, bordered us to the south. He thought it was in europe
flickr

i don't even care what i think, thats why im so sucessful

#59 dddrew.

dddrew.
  • Die Hard
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:40 PM

that's pretty much a stereotype that the media has made people think imo. yeah a lot of videos show stupid dumb ass people who have probably dropped out during the middle school years and have no education. these are the kind of people that relate to when thehighlife says "we dont need schooling". people grow up to be idiots and get in online videos that showcase america as being a stupid country. the america that I know isn't that stupid, even though i live near cleveland with a bunch of idiots. other countries are forced to learn a lot more about america than we learn about other countries because we are basically the giant of the economy and business world, even though we're in the process of getting shitted on. (ps: i dont want to turn this into an 'america isn't stupid' thread)

i could easily go over to another country and search for a few stupid people to interview and videotape to put online saying how dumb the country is.
legitness

camera history
NOW SEARCHING FOR A DSLR

#60 dick fitzwell

dick fitzwell

droppin shit like some horses

• 7,445 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:44 PM

true true, which is why i tried to stress it was a generalisation aka i certainly don't mean everyone, but it still seems like there are more people like this than there should be
BRIGHTON & HOVE SKATEBOARDING YOUTUBE CHANNEL WET SUSSEX INTERVIEW AND INFO

follow the path forums.skateperception.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=89278&view=findpost&p=1364996

I don't really wear tight pants anymore, I stick to loose fit Express Jeans.