Photo

Alex Salvador

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 veterat

veterat
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:31 AM

Posted Image

Frontside 180 Nosegrind Eight Stair Rail

Please Critique

Bummed on the homies in the background.

**EDIT** I deleted the black and white version of this picture. The color one is up now though and here it is. Thanks everyone.

Posted Image

LARGE!

#2 Tim Cisilino

Tim Cisilino
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:50 AM

I think shooting lower and closer to the rail so that the tree is in the right side of the frame would've looked better. Is there a color version?
Posted Image
Posted Image- X18
Posted Image- X17
Posted Image- X10

Vimeo
Flickr

#3 veterat

veterat
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:01 AM

Posted Image

Couldn't decide which one looked better. Just figured black and white seemed a bit more safe. What do you think Tim?

#4 justin'

justin'
  • Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

IMO, if you got closer and maybe a little to the left and framed him against the solid sky, and like Tim said had the tree on the right side, it would add to the height of the rail and be a lot more pleasing. Still rad though no hate over here

#5 veterat

veterat
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

definitely will get closer next time. thanks guys!

#6 Tim Cisilino

Tim Cisilino
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Posted Image

Couldn't decide which one looked better. Just figured black and white seemed a bit more safe. What do you think Tim?

Color looks so much better. The skater definitely pops out more.
Posted Image
Posted Image- X18
Posted Image- X17
Posted Image- X10

Vimeo
Flickr

#7 The1910Project

The1910Project
  • Die Hard
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

Color looks so much better. The skater definitely pops out more.

I agree but it's the bright bottom board that grabs the attention, not the dude. Anyway, the goal is reached in that you see the skating immediately.

#8 Tim Cisilino

Tim Cisilino
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

I agree but it's the bright bottom board that grabs the attention, not the dude. Anyway, the goal is reached in that you see the skating immediately.

I didn't say the skater grabs the attention, just that he pops out more which he does. In the b&w photo, the skater's legs completely blend into the wall where in the color photo, you can see the lighting more on his legs which tend to make him pop out more.
Posted Image
Posted Image- X18
Posted Image- X17
Posted Image- X10

Vimeo
Flickr

#9 arek

arek
  • Established Member
  • 609 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

color works better for this shot

LEGIT : jonwolf, RollingEntertainment(x2), EricCalfo, IvanFucich, ben_ericson, turkeynuggettt, Lurking Class Hero, DGKall2010, vx2krider, willyfreshh(x2), Rickk, cooperslack, Dr.Cloak, halfcabskater97, skatefairy, Coronaskater (x2), onstandby, namtot, shayne233, MiamiFilmerGuy, gl2john, vx1Lifeagain, Frank., dinosaurjr (x4), COGskatemedia (x2), mikeydawes, M Brown, Circle Gallery, flocente5, Roasted Albatross, C K (x4), JSantiago, jvdude, VX1media, schweems, JakeGnaw, JaakkoSkates, Cravenmorhed, Arnel D, Math.(x9), scottg(x2), ANDY_VX2100, emericaskate, KyleCochran, lurk hard, Lurkerlife, IanE, JsloanFilms, Bonksz, OnThatSuper8, jessealba, Anders Newman, SkylerMafita, Fvbles, JasonBorn, neddington12, Matt.K,

UNLEGIT : saginaw

#10 mr mojo risin'

mr mojo risin'

Poor Brittany

• Die Hard
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

sorry for an unproductive comment, but

Does he only have one arm?

#11 EspSkate

EspSkate
  • Die Hard
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Yeah, Tim's right about the color and getting closer and lower. The lighting is nicely done. I'm personally getting really sick of shooting 3:2 fish for handrails... either the rail looks small vertical, or its hard to fit everything and be close horizontally. If I were you, I would just crop the right side of the frame out to about 4:3 or so on this one. Most people wont notice and you'll have a more balanced frame.

soul sk8er photographer, bro.

yeah right, I'm joining team x-blades.

#12 veterat

veterat
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

sorry for an unproductive comment, but

Does he only have one arm?

Yeah, he has a nub, the rest of his arm got blown off in Nam...
only kidding. His arm was pointing towards the building.

Yeah, Tim's right about the color and getting closer and lower. The lighting is nicely done. I'm personally getting really sick of shooting 3:2 fish for handrails... either the rail looks small vertical, or its hard to fit everything and be close horizontally. If I were you, I would just crop the right side of the frame out to about 4:3 or so on this one. Most people wont notice and you'll have a more balanced frame.

I don't understand what you mean by the ratios sorry can you explain that again? and big thanks to everyone for the constructive criticism, it really helps.

#13 EspSkate

EspSkate
  • Die Hard
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:36 PM

I'm just talking about the aspect ratio of the frame. 35mm and small format digi are 3:2

soul sk8er photographer, bro.

yeah right, I'm joining team x-blades.

#14 veterat

veterat
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

I'm just talking about the aspect ratio of the frame. 35mm and small format digi are 3:2

ohhh okay i gotcha now