Photo

Hmc40 - Opteka Babydeath Vs. Nikon Fc-e9

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 RyanDeezle

RyanDeezle
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

when i first got this camera, i got a 43mm opteka babydeath, got my fc-e9 for it in the mail a couple days ago!
MIGHT HAVE TO ZOOM THE PAGE OUT BECAUSE THE PICS ARE KIND OF BIG, sorry bout that haha

hmc40 with the opteka babydeath
Posted Image

hmc40 with the nikon fc-e9
Posted Image

side by side comparison
Posted Image
Posted Image

long lens
Posted Image

opteka babydeath (COMPLETELY ZOOMED OUT WITH NO SPACERS)
Posted Image

nikon fc-e9 (ZOOMED TO Z24)
Posted Image

gif, you can tell the nikon lens has nicer glass/more vig
Posted Image

Edited by RyanDeezle, 22 March 2012 - 03:34 PM.
Embedded the pictures into the post instead of having them be links that automatically downloaded the pictures instead of just viewing them

HMC40/FC-E9 ♥
Posted Image

#2 RyanDeezle

RyanDeezle
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

gif updated and pictures embedded, thanks charley, just letting everyone know!
HMC40/FC-E9 ♥
Posted Image

#3 vx2krider

vx2krider

twitter @tspruit

• Established Member
  • 581 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

i love the width on fc-e9 but hate the vig

just been wondering how you finger a girl? do you put your whole arm up the or wat do you do?

#4 RollingEntertainment

RollingEntertainment
  • Established Member
  • 848 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

Both set-up look so ghetto loll The fc-e9 is definitely a better choice, but it looks weird as fuck.
I think I would
go for the hmc40/mk1 since it's like your filming with a vx1000/mk1 but in HD.
LEGIT LIST :

Jakemenne77, Sleep, Neener , Math. , Desiresk8, SlashDawg, vx1klove

#5 Charley

Charley

<html codeZ="filmingteam.gif">

• 3,718 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

The fc-e9 is definitely a better choice, but it looks weird as fuck.
I think I would
go for the hmc40/mk1 since it's like your filming with a vx1000/mk1 but in HD.

If you 'mod' the lens using a beer coozie, it can be made to look not as ugly. Here's a thread I made about it. Also, the MK1 on the HMC40, from what I've seen in some of SP user Yrint's old posts, is not as wide/distorted as the FC-E9.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 RyanDeezle

RyanDeezle
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

yes! it was actually your thread that made me want to get the fc-e9 and not the mk1
HMC40/FC-E9 ♥
Posted Image

#7 RollingEntertainment

RollingEntertainment
  • Established Member
  • 848 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

@ Charley
Yea, I meant the look of the camera. I know the fc-e9 is way much wider.
But since you zoom in a lot, do you lose quality?

I'm about to get a hmc40, but I will go with the mk1, but with your mod, hmc40//fc-e9 looks better!
LEGIT LIST :

#8 MichaelG

MichaelG
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

@ Charley
Yea, I meant the look of the camera. I know the fc-e9 is way much wider.
But since you zoom in a lot, do you lose quality?

I'm about to get a hmc40, but I will go with the mk1, but with your mod, hmc40//fc-e9 looks better!

Nope, you wouldn't lose quality because its still optical zoom which still has the same amount of glass in front of it as fully zoomed out fisheye.

Well, what happens when you get a lens hit with the Mk1? They cost a ton. Nikon FC-E9 are like Opteka 58mm

#9 RollingEntertainment

RollingEntertainment
  • Established Member
  • 848 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

Nope, you wouldn't lose quality because its still optical zoom which still has the same amount of glass in front of it as fully zoomed out fisheye.

Well, what happens when you get a lens hit with the Mk1? They cost a ton. Nikon FC-E9 are like Opteka 58mm

you just don't get lens hit, lol
LEGIT LIST :

#10 johnnygetsilly

johnnygetsilly

I need a printer.

• Die Hard
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

Fudge, the Nikon is way sharper!
follow me on Instagram: begoodtoo

#11 'skamoe

'skamoe
  • 6,348 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:33 AM

i love the width on fc-e9 but hate the vig

So zoom through it all the way maybe?

I've found that shooting in 16:9, I really don't get close enough that I get camera hits with anywhere near the same frequency as back when I was shooting in SD. I've been shooting in HD for around 2.5 years and have yet to actually have the lens element get hit and scratched by a board. Don't get me wrong, I think the FC-E9 performs vastly superior to a mark I on the HMC40 (particularly with regards to fringing), but this isn't that relevant of an argument.

#12 MichaelG

MichaelG
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:36 AM

So zoom through it all the way maybe?

I've found that shooting in 16:9, I really don't get close enough that I get camera hits with anywhere near the same frequency as back when I was shooting in SD. I've been shooting in HD for around 2.5 years and have yet to actually have the lens element get hit and scratched by a board. Don't get me wrong, I think the FC-E9 performs vastly superior to a mark I on the HMC40 (particularly with regards to fringing), but this isn't that relevant of an argument.

Yeah, and the point is why risk 300+ dollars when a lens that has great glass and is more wide is 150<

#13 Chase G

Chase G

• Die Hard
  • 3,564 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

With a mk1 it is a pricier hit for the lens, yes. But with the fc-e9 if you get a hit, since it sticks so far out it is much more likely that it will take off a piece of the camera as well. Id rather stick with the mk1 just so there isnt that much more area for a board to hit and get leverage from.

If you have anything worth bragging about people will brag for you.

"In the absence of proof, mistakes multiply, craft becomes theory, and good thinking passes for art" -John Szarkowski

chasedgrover.com

YouTube
flickr

#14 RollingEntertainment

RollingEntertainment
  • Established Member
  • 848 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

And it looks so bad ass with a mk1 compared to the fc-e9

Posted Image
Posted Image

I might be stupid, but I would pay 200 more just for the look haha
EDIT: And mk1 is no problem for me since I already have it..
LEGIT LIST :

#15 danielskates

danielskates
  • Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

charleys idea is pretty tight.lol
LEGITTTT: Sulldotrat,Kyranford,Coronaskater,Matt K.,CameronHoerth,baldkenn626,DGKall2010,

#16 Charley

Charley

<html codeZ="filmingteam.gif">

• 3,718 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

But with the fc-e9 if you get a hit, since it sticks so far out it is much more likely that it will take off a piece of the camera as well.

I have a HMC40/FC-E9 set up and I've had at least 7 lens hits... and they've always been around the edge of the front of the lens and the rim around the glass, and never once have the threads on the camera been ripped off or anything of that nature.

I might be stupid, but I would pay 200 more just for the look haha
EDIT: And mk1 is no problem for me since I already have it..

If you already have the MK1 and are down with gluing a spacer on it (or experimenting with step down rings on the bayo threads), go ahead.

Then when you realize the MK1 on the HMC40 isn't as wide/distorted as the FC-E9, all it takes is a black beer coozie to make the $100-$300 FC-E9 look cosmetically good.

Posted Image :goldenwub: :huh:

#17 RollingEntertainment

RollingEntertainment
  • Established Member
  • 848 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

I have a HMC40/FC-E9 set up and I've had at least 7 lens hits... and they've always been around the edge of the front of the lens and the rim around the glass, and never once have the threads on the camera been ripped off or anything of that nature.
If you already have the MK1 and are down with gluing a spacer on it (or experimenting with step down rings on the bayo threads), go ahead.

Then when you realize the MK1 on the HMC40 isn't as wide/distorted as the FC-E9, all it takes is a black beer coozie to make the $100-$300 FC-E9 look cosmetically good.

Posted Image :goldenwub: :huh:

Yea I know the fc-e9 wider. If I could find one for cheap, I might try it.
And I have the mk1 screwed so I don't need to hot glue.
LEGIT LIST :

#18 RollingEntertainment

RollingEntertainment
  • Established Member
  • 848 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

I modded my mk1 screwed with the same element that we use to make a raymod and it is SUPER wide.
it looks pretty much like the fc-e9. If I zoom to 25, it has almost no vigs (Like hpx/xtreme)
and it's supper sharp (way sharper than the mk1 screwed without the mod.. I don't really know why..

I'm just waiting for the step up ring to come in and I'll post some pictures.
LEGIT LIST :

#19 RyanDeezle

RyanDeezle
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

I modded my mk1 screwed with the same element that we use to make a raymod and it is SUPER wide.
it looks pretty much like the fc-e9. If I zoom to 25, it has almost no vigs (Like hpx/xtreme)
and it's supper sharp (way sharper than the mk1 screwed without the mod.. I don't really know why..

sick!
HMC40/FC-E9 ♥
Posted Image

#20 Skater132

Skater132
  • Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

Do you have pics!? I want to do this!
Legit list: COGskatemedia, Wolfdaniel, Ben_ericson, Lurkerlife, vx1klove, john s,