Photo

Editors Block?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 skateVAallday

skateVAallday
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

What motivates you guys to edit? I'm going through a stage of editors block lately and just wanted to find some ideas to get motivated.,

#2 mustashio

mustashio
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

Music.

For me it's all down to the music. If i hear a certain song I instinctively know that songs for an edit. Listening to the song, ill know what kinda edit (park, street, throwaway, hard, chilled) straight from the vibe i get from it and two or three listens down the line my brain just starts flooding me with images of shots or types of footy (lines, fish, etc). So yeah chuck your ipod or whatever on shuffle and scan through till you fine a song that stands out and that you get ideas from. Well thats what i do, do whatever works i guess.

#3 Matt.K

Matt.K

yolo lol !!!

• Die Hard
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

lol to be honest, call of duty. ill try to edit that, but realize i cant then ill have a blast editing skate footage.
God speed brave souls

You think Nigel went and picked up a vintage zoom lens and now he's killing the game. Yeah right. This dude has some of the worst DSLR stuff on youtube.

spaghettios get me ready for anything!

legit list in profile
t3i/tamron 17-50mm/bower 8mm/eazy handle

#4 Charley

Charley

<html codeZ="filmingteam.gif">

• 3,717 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

Put your clips on a timeline in the order you'd like them to be in the edit, trim them down appropriately, and put a random song you like in the timeline and play it. Keep trying different songs until something fits.

A montage/edit that flows well without heavy editing can inspire you to get down and dirty with the actual editing to make something awesome and worthwhile.

#5 mikeydawes

mikeydawes

Instagram - ohiomikey

• Die Hard
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

Music.

For me it's all down to the music. If i hear a certain song I instinctively know that songs for an edit. Listening to the song, ill know what kinda edit (park, street, throwaway, hard, chilled) straight from the vibe i get from it and two or three listens down the line my brain just starts flooding me with images of shots or types of footy (lines, fish, etc). So yeah chuck your ipod or whatever on shuffle and scan through till you fine a song that stands out and that you get ideas from. Well thats what i do, do whatever works i guess.

This plays a pretty big part in how I go about making a new edit. But before I ever start a new edit I think about the clips I have in mind that I want to use, and then I try and picture how they would look together with other clips, and then I try and pick a good song after that. For me when it comes to choosing music to edit too it varies a lot. I've used everything from Lil' Wayne to Beirut. The music that you choose plays a huge part on how the edit will end up looking in the end. And that's something I always try and keep in mind while editing.

Legit list in profile.
YouTube

vx-medal-gold-1.png x1

#6 arek

arek
  • Established Member
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

ahhh editing.. patience is needed, or a lot of beer.

LEGIT : jonwolf, RollingEntertainment(x2), EricCalfo, IvanFucich, ben_ericson, turkeynuggettt, Lurking Class Hero, DGKall2010, vx2krider, willyfreshh(x2), Rickk, cooperslack, Dr.Cloak, halfcabskater97, skatefairy, Coronaskater (x2), onstandby, namtot, shayne233, MiamiFilmerGuy, gl2john, vx1Lifeagain, Frank., dinosaurjr (x4), COGskatemedia, mikeydawes, M Brown, Circle Gallery, flocente5, Roasted Albatross, C K (x4), JSantiago, jvdude, VX1media, schweems, JakeGnaw, JaakkoSkates, Cravenmorhed, Arnel D, Math.(x8), scottg, ANDY_VX2100, emericaskate, KyleCochran, lurk hard, Lurkerlife, IanE, JsloanFilms, Bonksz, OnThatSuper8, jessealba, Anders Newman, SkylerMafita, Fvbles, JasonBorn, neddington12

UNLEGIT : saginaw

#7 RyanDeezle

RyanDeezle
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

ahhh editing.. patience is needed, or a lot of beer.

^haha, for sure, and i mostly pick a song im feeling and try to edit to that, if it doesnt really work out i just keep switching songs
HMC40/FC-E9 ♥
Posted Image

#8 northpolefilms

northpolefilms
  • Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

smoke a bowl and edit
60d gripped-peleng8mm

Legit:
7rint
Mattk