Photo

In Need Of Assitance (settings) Canon 60d

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 vx2k12

vx2k12
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:51 AM

Just two days ago picked up a Canon 60D. Im really unfamiliar with DSLR's been filming with vx2000 for the past year and a half. How do i set this Camera up to look official during the day? anybody got any links to old forums or posts about how to set this damn thing to look prime? or if youd be so kind to help me out with advice of your own id appreiciate it greatly!
thanks
-Vx2k12
VIVA LAS VEGAS.
YOUTUBE.COM/DOMGFILMS

#2 vx2k12

vx2k12
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

Just two days ago picked up a Canon 60D. Im really unfamiliar with DSLR's been filming with vx2000 for the past year and a half. How do i set this Camera up to look official during the day? anybody got any links to old forums or posts about how to set this damn thing to look prime? or if youd be so kind to help me out with advice of your own id appreiciate it greatly!
thanks
-Vx2k12

i pretty much know nothing of this camera i really need someone's help...
VIVA LAS VEGAS.
YOUTUBE.COM/DOMGFILMS

#3 neener

neener
  • Established Member
  • 827 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:23 AM

You wanted the camera so teach your damn self. These things do come with instruction manuals you know.

#4 TimFok

TimFok
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:28 AM

It's a different camera for sure, but like every other the same principles are there.

Same rule with shutter.

Same rule with gain. It's just replaced with the term ISO speeds. Don't use above 1600.

Same rule with your aperture, but due to the larger sensor depth of field is a lot more responsive, so you really have to be careful when shooting with wide apertures.

White balance, same again. Although instead of A and B presets + custom, you have around 6-7 different presets, custom and custom kelvin. The presets will be more than adequate, apart from when you're mixing light sources, then just dial in a custom kelvin.

You don't have steady shot, and it's a CMOS sensor designed around still photography. so you have to be constantly conscious of stabilising your camera.

You don't need any of the following features turned on (read manual for what they do)

Peripheral illumination
Highlight Priority

Keep colour space sRGB.

You have the addition of Picture Profiles that you don't on the VX line. The following has proved successful for me and many others

Based on Neutral

Sharpness 0
Contrast -4
Saturation -1

That's pretty much it really? oh and also it's obviously solid state, files are drag and drop rather than tape based. native files aren't really editable though you need to convert/transcode prior to edit. If you're Apple based convert to Apple ProRes.

#5 vx2k12

vx2k12
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

You wanted the camera so teach your damn self. These things do come with instruction manuals you know.

aye if it came wit the manuel i would have f*ckin lame why even say anything at all.
VIVA LAS VEGAS.
YOUTUBE.COM/DOMGFILMS

#6 vx2k12

vx2k12
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

It's a different camera for sure, but like every other the same principles are there.

Same rule with shutter.

Same rule with gain. It's just replaced with the term ISO speeds. Don't use above 1600.

Same rule with your aperture, but due to the larger sensor depth of field is a lot more responsive, so you really have to be careful when shooting with wide apertures.

White balance, same again. Although instead of A and B presets + custom, you have around 6-7 different presets, custom and custom kelvin. The presets will be more than adequate, apart from when you're mixing light sources, then just dial in a custom kelvin.

You don't have steady shot, and it's a CMOS sensor designed around still photography. so you have to be constantly conscious of stabilising your camera.

You don't need any of the following features turned on (read manual for what they do)

Peripheral illumination
Highlight Priority

Keep colour space sRGB.

You have the addition of Picture Profiles that you don't on the VX line. The following has proved successful for me and many others

Based on Neutral

Sharpness 0
Contrast -4
Saturation -1

That's pretty much it really? oh and also it's obviously solid state, files are drag and drop rather than tape based. native files aren't really editable though you need to convert/transcode prior to edit. If you're Apple based convert to Apple ProRes.

aye thanks alot if you have any other advice that pops in your head pls post away! but i guess thats why your a mod!
appreciate the help brotha!
have a good one!
VIVA LAS VEGAS.
YOUTUBE.COM/DOMGFILMS

#7 vx2k12

vx2k12
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

BTW shooting in 720p 60fps is cool yeah?
VIVA LAS VEGAS.
YOUTUBE.COM/DOMGFILMS

#8 Stroh

Stroh

lulz

• Die Hard
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

shoot 1080/30p unless you are intending to slow it down.
Posted Image Fisheye Double Set

LEGIT:
Stay Dirty
Amit
Skatevirginia
RickyS.Films
Biscuit
Luke F

UNLEGIT:
THE TREES

#9 vx2k12

vx2k12
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

shoot 1080/30p unless you are intending to slow it down.

thanks homie!
gotta love this site! its been awhile glad to be back!
VIVA LAS VEGAS.
YOUTUBE.COM/DOMGFILMS

#10 vx2k12

vx2k12
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

now that ive changed it to 1080 30p it looks a lil jumpin on the lcd screen will that come out the same on the computer or it shud loook smoooth right?
VIVA LAS VEGAS.
YOUTUBE.COM/DOMGFILMS

#11 TimFok

TimFok
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

That's progressive video for you. It's worse on 'stills' cameras than it is on video cameras. Learn to combat it, move with the motion. It's worst when a subject moves across the frame left to right.

But this is far better (and more acceptable to me) than the aliasing and moire issues you get from shooting in 720 modes, so stick to 1080!

Keep shutter speed around 1/125th (when shooting 30p) for optimum skateboarding.

#12 vx2k12

vx2k12
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

That's progressive video for you. It's worse on 'stills' cameras than it is on video cameras. Learn to combat it, move with the motion. It's worst when a subject moves across the frame left to right.

But this is far better (and more acceptable to me) than the aliasing and moire issues you get from shooting in 720 modes, so stick to 1080!

Keep shutter speed around 1/125th (when shooting 30p) for optimum skateboarding.

aye man thanks again i do appreciate your help! today was successful!
VIVA LAS VEGAS.
YOUTUBE.COM/DOMGFILMS

#13 vx2k12

vx2k12
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:06 AM

one more question what are the pros and cons of filming 1080/30fps rather than 720/60fps??? :goldenwub:
VIVA LAS VEGAS.
YOUTUBE.COM/DOMGFILMS

#14 TimFok

TimFok
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

one more question what are the pros and cons of filming 1080/30fps rather than 720/60fps??? :goldenwub:

720 modes on DSLRs are poor because they don't produce 720 lines of resolution properly. What they do is take the 1080 image, and line skip (literally take strips of pixels out of the image) to reduce the resolution 40%.

What this results in is poor image reproduction. You notice aliasing and moire patterns in any sharp detail.

You can combat it to an extent by shooting with a shallow depth of field, so less is in focus (therefore less likely to create these issues), but even then your sharp detail will be compromised.

When I owned my 7D I gave up on 720 modes, and just never used them.

Nothing to do with the framerate.

#15 vx2k12

vx2k12
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

720 modes on DSLRs are poor because they don't produce 720 lines of resolution properly. What they do is take the 1080 image, and line skip (literally take strips of pixels out of the image) to reduce the resolution 40%.

What this results in is poor image reproduction. You notice aliasing and moire patterns in any sharp detail.

You can combat it to an extent by shooting with a shallow depth of field, so less is in focus (therefore less likely to create these issues), but even then your sharp detail will be compromised.

When I owned my 7D I gave up on 720 modes, and just never used them.

Nothing to do with the framerate.

thanks for the knowledge.
what would be the best mode for filming a timelaspe?
VIVA LAS VEGAS.
YOUTUBE.COM/DOMGFILMS

#16 TimFok

TimFok
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

thanks for the knowledge.
what would be the best mode for filming a timelaspe?

Shutter remote, taking pictures at set intervals.