Photo

Yet Another New Camera For Us To Drool Over

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#21 dick fitzwell

dick fitzwell

droppin shit like some horses

• 7,444 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:22 AM

if you are bitching about it being in here vs the filming forum:
a ) the DSLR subsection is much better than in there. it does not deserve to be hated on for not being an SD, 3 chip ccd with no 4:3 aspect ratio.

ooh forum snobbery
BRIGHTON & HOVE SKATEBOARDING YOUTUBE CHANNEL WET SUSSEX INTERVIEW AND INFO

follow the path forums.skateperception.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=89278&view=findpost&p=1364996

I don't really wear tight pants anymore, I stick to loose fit Express Jeans.

#22 1337.

penis. HA!

• Established Member
  • 687 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

I would imagine with the higher resolution you can capture more detail and it would have a higher dynamic range, then bringing that down to 1080p would show a super detailed easy to color correct picture.

That's my guess. I could be wrong.

I'm in love with that 240fps @ 1080 feature. It would be so rad for VFX.

Hahaha don't get any of the pixel peepers started on DR and detail with this camera. DVXuser is a SHITSHOW right now in the multiple FS700 threads speculating about its DR, ISO performance, and sharpness. And NOT 1 CLIP of footage has been released...

5D3
Canon 5d Mark III//Canon EOS 1N//Canon 15 2.8 Fisheye//Canon 16-35 2.8L//Canon 50 1.2L//Canon 70-200 4L IS//
Newschoolers.com Represent! The Notorious 1337.

My Website

#23 namtot

namtot
  • Established Member
  • 779 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Hahaha don't get any of the pixel peepers started on DR and detail with this camera. DVXuser is a SHITSHOW right now in the multiple FS700 threads speculating about its DR, ISO performance, and sharpness. And NOT 1 CLIP of footage has been released...

dvxuser is a shit show in general lately, a bunch of pixel peepers fighting over why they think this new camera or that new camera is the best, im glad for the most part that doesnt happen here.

#24 HappyMagicSkateboard

HappyMagicSkateboard

Film Happy, Skate Happy.

• Die Hard
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:58 AM

I just want to see if it's worth it. If it saves me a few grand and I can shoot 4k in the future at a reasonable price, well I'm sold.

Look at Corridor Digitals new feature film. it's shot in 4k, and even at 360p it pretty much destroys 1080p.

Plus some of us actually care about the Dynamic Range, seeing as some of us are colorists on this forum.

I'm just stating the facts here. 4k will obviously trump in the end in terms of quality. But of course, we're all awaiting the footage.

#25 maineoneplus3

maineoneplus3
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

The 4K operation (upgrade) of this camera will probably not be anything close to cheap... it will probably get close to the cost of the camera or more, and since Sony hasn't released info on how it's going to output 4K, it will probably be a good idea to avoid buying this camera for it's 4k ability, unless you have money to burn! We dont know if they will allow third party options or require the use of SRR3, or SR memory - and your looking at 6,000 to 13,000 just for memory. My opinion is that the 4K option is going to drive the original $8,599.00 price tag up to something like 15,000 in the end.

#26 TimFok

TimFok
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:42 AM

There was some interesting discussion on C5D regarding the 4k add on.

A few people have highlighted the fact that single port 3-SDI doesn't have the bandwidth to supported full 4k. But it's also been highlighted that the FS700 will output 4k RAW, which has less bandwidth as it's de-bayered on the receiving end.

This means that a unique recorder will have to be used, as nothing supports 4k recording with a de-bayer. So it's possible the upgrade will be in the form of hardware. It would make more sense from a business POV. Why get people to pay for a firmware update to enable them to use the camera on future third party recorders when they can charge people 2-3 times more for another piece of hardware only they can build?

Either way, people shouldn't get hung up on the 4k part. for £6.5k ex VAT you get a really strong performing camcorder, with a super35mm sensor... oh that shoots 240fps full HD. That's the selling point for me.

#27 maineoneplus3

maineoneplus3
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:19 AM

Exactly, I agree

My point is: No one knows how the 4k is going to be handled, but it will most definitely COST! People are hyped on the 4k snesor, myself included but I wouldnt buy it for 4k unless I needed 4k, and if I cant utilize the 4k untill further notice/details from Sony I might be in trouble if dont have an extra 6,000+ laying around.

I'm saying buy the camera for what it is today, not what it's rumored to be tomorrow.