Photo

Vx1000/mk1 Weird Focus Problem..?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 ByrdPraductions

ByrdPraductions
  • Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

Follow this LINK to see what I'm talking about..

Basically in case you can't see it for yourself, I went to film some cruising in a parking garage and the video appears to be totally out of focus when we are inside the garage and perfectly in focus when we are outside in day light.. Auto focus was not on and as far as I can tell it wasn't because I bumped the focus ring. The only possible solution to this problem that I can think of is that I did the white balance (the only setting I messed with for this shot) in day light before we got to the garage. Hopefully someone can clue me in on what I did wrong so I can improve for the future. Thanks!
Personal channel:
www.youtube.com/user/byrdpraductions
Collaboration channel:
www.youtube.com/user/408nSkate
408nSkate is run by Sean Henderson, Brian Reynolds, Cameron Loomis, and Ariel Torres.

#2 justin bieber

justin bieber

im retired nigga i already ran da world

• Die Hard
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

you have auto exposure on which is changing the f stop which changes the way the focus has to be. turn on manual exposure, just keep it around f5.6 and manually focus it.

My friend calls me quarter snacks because i know all the spots its a NY website if you didnt know and monday i MIGHT have to dissemble some one. but thats the only day your gonna be around?

People who can actually afford nice things go to this amazing thing called an orthodontist. They can turn your flaw-filled mouth into something that doesn't look like you have a d!ck down your throat @ all times.

#3 ByrdPraductions

ByrdPraductions
  • Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

you have auto exposure on which is changing the f stop which changes the way the focus has to be. turn on manual exposure, just keep it around f5.6 and manually focus it.

Hmm, I thought that might be the case but I've done this before without having the shot go out of focus so I wasn't sure what to think..
Personal channel:
Collaboration channel:
408nSkate is run by Sean Henderson, Brian Reynolds, Cameron Loomis, and Ariel Torres.

#4 justin bieber

justin bieber

• Die Hard
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

probably cause it wasnt that drastic of an exposure change, you only notice it alot when it is.

My friend calls me quarter snacks because i know all the spots its a NY website if you didnt know and monday i MIGHT have to dissemble some one. but thats the only day your gonna be around?

People who can actually afford nice things go to this amazing thing called an orthodontist. They can turn your flaw-filled mouth into something that doesn't look like you have a d!ck down your throat @ all times.

#5 xchiefx

xchiefx
  • Die Hard
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:33 AM

was auto-exposure on? cause i think that the different lighting situations might be affecting that. or your auto focus is on a rampage..
Yoot00b
legit:
FishHeads (bought my trv900)
Jayrad (sold me a mk1)
JulianG (bought my vx1000/raymod setup)

vx1/mk1 <3

this is the cool new thing? high faces? it's no wonder this country's economy is doing so poorly.

Jay I feel like sometimes you don't know what words mean.

All hail, XCHIEFX!

#6 Brooklyn Zoo

Brooklyn Zoo

Go Love Your Own City, Fuck Gentrification

• Die Hard
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

its caused by longboards, the camera says "oh hell naw I didnt sign up for this".

most likely auto exposure or with all that moving around did you possibly bump the focus toggle onto auto focus?
"Now there are a bunch of cool guys who think that they're from New York City, but they're actually from where ever they fucking came from. People claiming New York City when they didn't live here then; it's embarrassing. I'm not going to say any names but it is pretty pitiful. - Jeff Pang speaks the truth

http://sweatyevan.blogspot.com/

#7 ByrdPraductions

ByrdPraductions
  • Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

its caused by longboards, the camera says "oh hell naw I didnt sign up for this".

most likely auto exposure or with all that moving around did you possibly bump the focus toggle onto auto focus?

Naw mayn, didn't bump it. I'm pretty sure it was the auto exposure it's just weird because in my "CLIPS OF THE DAY #13" video I was at the same exact garage and the last shot in that video I had it with the same settings but it didn't go out of focus, so I just don't know.
Personal channel:
Collaboration channel:

#8 justin bieber

justin bieber

• Die Hard
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:27 AM

Naw mayn, didn't bump it. I'm pretty sure it was the auto exposure it's just weird because in my "CLIPS OF THE DAY #13" video I was at the same exact garage and the last shot in that video I had it with the same settings but it didn't go out of focus, so I just don't know.

yeah you didnt have auto exposure on there

#9 arek

arek
  • Established Member
  • 609 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

haha

LEGIT : jonwolf, RollingEntertainment(x2), EricCalfo, IvanFucich, ben_ericson, turkeynuggettt, Lurking Class Hero, DGKall2010, vx2krider, willyfreshh(x2), Rickk, cooperslack, Dr.Cloak, halfcabskater97, skatefairy, Coronaskater (x2), onstandby, namtot, shayne233, MiamiFilmerGuy, gl2john, vx1Lifeagain, Frank., dinosaurjr (x4), COGskatemedia (x2), mikeydawes, M Brown, Circle Gallery, flocente5, Roasted Albatross, C K (x4), JSantiago, jvdude, VX1media, schweems, JakeGnaw, JaakkoSkates, Cravenmorhed, Arnel D, Math.(x9), scottg(x2), ANDY_VX2100, emericaskate, KyleCochran, lurk hard, Lurkerlife, IanE, JsloanFilms, Bonksz, OnThatSuper8, jessealba, Anders Newman, SkylerMafita, Fvbles, JasonBorn, neddington12, Matt.K,

UNLEGIT : saginaw

#10 yrint

yrint
  • Die Hard
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

definitely the auto exposure. cuz it only goes out of focus when it gets dark. it's in focus when it's at a higher f stop but when it opens up it gets soft. just a shitty focus on your part. at higher f stops more is in focus so when you focused it outdoors it was in focus but when you brought it indoors the amount of stuff in focus is smaller therefore it looks out of focus. it's probably focused on the glass but with a smaller aperture everything is in focus anyways but at a wider one nothing will be in focus. trying to make this as easy to understand as possible.
Flickr
Posted Image x1

#11 ByrdPraductions

ByrdPraductions
  • Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

yeah you didnt have auto exposure on there

The last shot of that video, yes I did.
Personal channel:
Collaboration channel:

#12 justin bieber

justin bieber

• Die Hard
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:45 AM

The last shot of that video, yes I did.

oh yeah. and that shot went in and out of focus slightly.

#13 FilmSk8erFRD

FilmSk8erFRD
  • Established Member
  • 598 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

Maybe something with the backlight setting.
Sometimes the camera focuses on the light in the back when it's on or at a wrong setting.
My YouTube

Check out my latest skate montage

*Skateboard filmer and skateboarder*
*COD sniper & trickshotter*
*Tekken player*
*Fingerboarder and handboarder*

#14 ByrdPraductions

ByrdPraductions
  • Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

Maybe something with the backlight setting.
Sometimes the camera focuses on the light in the back when it's on or at a wrong setting.

How do you look at and change your "backlight settings?"
Personal channel:
Collaboration channel:

#15 FilmSk8erFRD

FilmSk8erFRD
  • Established Member
  • 598 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

I didn't film for a while so I can't say exactly right now, you should take a look if the backlight setting is on.
The backlight logo is with 3 white bars and a white block.
I'm not sure if it's just 1 button you have to push or it's in the settings menu, I used it once and also 1 time it messed up my footage, not focusing wise, but I was basically filming shadows of skaters with the setting on.
My YouTube

Check out my latest skate montage

*Skateboard filmer and skateboarder*
*COD sniper & trickshotter*
*Tekken player*
*Fingerboarder and handboarder*