SkatePerception
flipsrowleykid

How To Defend Yourself And Your Camera....

How to defend yourself and your camera.

the only step is not to be a sucka.

-Also another smart thing to do...If you are running away from an attacker/mugger I dont care how embarrased you are or how bad your voice sucks....YOU SCREAM YOUR HEAD OFF! the last thing an attacker wants its to have attention drawn to them!

Weapons to bring along...

this made me laugh hahaha

If your on the side of a major road somewhere and someone comes up to you and tries to mug you..... I suggest running like hell into the street waving your arms around because most likely you won't be hit by a car and a muggers not about to chase you into a street to steal from you.

best topic ever. its so scary when people ask you for your shit, and you give them the old "ooh its really shitty." speech.

but thankyou for this. because now i think im going to buy some mace or take a wrapper filled with coins xD

this was so helpful!

best topic ever. its so scary when people ask you for your shit, and you give them the old "ooh its really shitty." speech.

I hate that. But people are always asking me to see my gh2 and since its obviously new i just try to act like im paying attention to filming something and ignore them.

I hate that. But people are always asking me to see my gh2 and since its obviously new i just try to act like im paying attention to filming something and ignore them.

I just say no you can't see it. I know it sounds like I'm being a dick but it gets people to leave me alone about touching my shit.

Great thread, very helpful. I keep a gun on my hip when im out filming and expose it if i see some sketchy people near by.

I keep a gun on my hip when im out filming and expose it if i see some sketchy people near by.

Thats kind of a stupid idea... I never thought it was a good idea to have weapons on your person. What would happen if the person trying to mug you got a hold of it?

who was it that got chased into a warehouse and there was police helicopters involved and stuff?

anyway, it is possible to kill someone if you hit them in the front of the head/face really hard. you push the bone called the crista galli; a small bone at the base of the front part of the brain and posterior to the sinus behind your nose, into the brain, and that bad. one of my teachers used to be a coroner or an autopsy technician or something, and she said that they once had a guy who fell of his bike and even though he was wearing a helmet and going slow, the way he fell caused him to do just that.

Sorry for the bump but this was very interesting to me.

who was it that got chased into a warehouse and there was police helicopters involved and stuff?

Can someone please explain this, I'd love to hear about it.

One time, a group of my friends (5 or 6 of them- keep in mind we're only 13-15 so we're not tall or strong or anything) went to a park in a semi-sketchy area. As they were leaving, 2 locals came up and said 'If you show up again, we'll smash your faces' or something like that. I wasn't there, so I can't tell if they were intimidating them or actually being serious. Anyway like a month later we felt like going back to skate that park and we went there fairly early (Like getting there at 9:30am) and there was no one there. When we left around 12 there was still no one there, so that kinda proves the point that a guy said a while back about going to sketchy areas earlier, because honestly, most of that bad shit happens later on.

And if you do skate and film at night, unless you have a big number, it might be smarter to: instead of going at midnight on Friday night (Where more people would be getting drunk and shit), go Saturday morning at like 4 or 5am or before it gets light. By then a majority of drunks would either be home, or passed out somewhere aha).

If you have a camera bag which clearly says a camera companies' name on it (My 200EG says 'Canon' on the front of it) it could become a thief's target if you leave it out of sight or even on a different side of a park/ spot. I recently just purchased a patch to put over the logo, so it looks like a childs bag (What kind of thief wants a kids Cookie Monster bag ;) ). I'm usually pretty anal but keeping my bag close to me at all times, but I've never had any bad incidents so it pays off.

I always try to keep my bag zipped and ready to go in case I have to grab it and run from someone. Like, even if I have my camera out, I'll zip it up and make sure I can grab it, my board and get the hell out of somewhere. It may help to keep your camera recording if you have it and someone tries to take it. and if they're getting it, like they've pulled a gun or something- if you had it recording, stop it, try popping the memory card or tape out, drop your shit and back off- you have evidence. go to somewhere where there is people, preferably adults- like a gas station or a convenience store. if your phone got jacked, ask to borrow a phone so you can call your parents.

If you do happen to have an issue- lets say, your filming on a set of stairs and all your buddies are riding it and someone comes up and threatens to take your bag or camera or something- call out for your friends aha, it seems kinda obvious but dont be scared to make a scene. If they clearly dont have a weapon then get your friends over to back you up. No one wants to deal with 7 people with skateboards.

I've had some assholes on Facebook threaten to 'truckfuck' me for 'being a smartass' (Liking my friends' comment's in an argument) but honestly, if they threaten you over Facebook/ the internet- unless they've done stuff to someone before, they're probably some lame internet pussy, who wont do shit. Just in case, it might be wise to get some of your friends to come skating with you if you want to be on the safe side. 2 weeks later, they havent done jack shit.

My skating group is super weird though, I'm the youngest, 13 (14 in March), then the oldest turns 17 on the 18th of January. We're all buddies, but it definitely helps to have a well-built, 17 year old with stretched ears and a nose-piercing coming with you (Which is pretty funny, because he is actually the nicest dude- who wouldn't ever hurt someone unless it was in self-defense).

Again, sorry for the bump, but I thought I'd share my 'experiences'.

Cheers for this thread, it's pretty useful.

i use a small monopod that can extend really far, im like 5`4 and i got my friend whos over 6 feet down to the ground (just fucking around)

monopods are cheap and mines metal so it hasnt broken yet

I'm getting some nice brass knuckles

those are illegal. I think your best bet is pepper spray or just not even put yourself in that situation in the first place. you can always come back and get the trick another day.