SkatePerception
PatrickD

Patrickd's Guide To Everything Medium Format

so i like prints a lot, just like when you go and get 35mm prints. thats what im interested in. if i want to shoot velvia or other slide, must i cross process (process as a print instead) if i want to print? cuz i dont really like the colors that come from corss processing, and i want to print. must i get negative to print?

[quote name='babyVX' post='1700176' date='May 14 2007, 05:36 PM']so i like prints a lot, just like when you go and get 35mm prints. thats what im interested in. if i want to shoot velvia or other slide, must i cross process (process as a print instead) if i want to print? cuz i dont really like the colors that come from corss processing, and i want to print. must i get negative to print?[/quote]

This doesn't even have anything to do with MF..

[quote name='cool_beans' post='1700204' date='May 14 2007, 02:47 PM']This doesn't even have anything to do with MF..[/quote]

okay, my bad. do you feel better now that youve pointed that out? i hope so. you couldve just answered

Well in that case, you're pretty pathetic.
You can get prints made from slide film, there's some special process that the lab has to do it. I'm not sure about cost, it may be rather expensive.

Any decent scannner should give you files that allow you to print digitally from scanned slides. mpix.com for prints. The tradition "wet" method of making prints from slides is called cibachrome I believe (my local lab technician called it c-printing) and they look stunning. I looked at a 40"x50" Astia print at my lab and it was amazing.

[quote name='Jonsa' post='1700642' date='May 14 2007, 07:39 PM']mpix.com for prints.[/quote]
my dads good friend owns that company and Millers Professional Imaging, [url="http://www.millerslab.com/"]http://www.millerslab.com/[/url] , one of the largest professional imaging companies in the US. they process 1.6 million rolls of film a year and have a $200,000 laser printer. my family was supposed to fly on his private jet to his yacht in ft. Lauderdale , but my dad never got back to him about it. i need to remind him! haha. he was also in a book of the top photographers in the world. once i start shooting some film, im sending it to him.

[quote name='Jonsa' post='1700642' date='May 15 2007, 12:39 AM']Any decent scannner should give you files that allow you to print digitally from scanned slides. mpix.com for prints. The tradition "wet" method of making prints from slides is called cibachrome I believe (my local lab technician called it c-printing) and they look stunning. I looked at a 40"x50" Astia print at my lab and it was amazing.[/quote]
Thanks for that info. When I visited MOPA in San Diego a few weeks back I saw Melanie Pullen's work and noticed it said "C-Print," I was curious on what process this was. They do look amazing at that size.

the cheapest way would be to scan your slides and chuck them onto a disk and take them to those kodak machines with like 20 cent prints (dunno bout usa) but itll cost a fair bit if you get it done at the lab.

From what I've read you will probably be paying 60+ for a print that size. Also search Ilfochrome because Cibachrome and Ilfochrome are the same type of printing methods but different names.

What do you guys think the best way to go about making bigger prints with 120 film? like just scanning them in and then touching them up in photoshop or taking the negs to a lab to process them straight off the negs or what?

if you don't do them yourself in school or something, you can probably take the negative or positive to a lab and ask for a print of that nice and big. a lot of kids choose to do it in school or something so they can make it the way they want it to be.

And the scanners that most people on here use, flatbeds, won't scan well enough to give you big sharp prints.

[quote name='PatrickD' post='1702209' date='May 15 2007, 10:00 PM']if you don't do them yourself in school or something, you can probably take the negative or positive to a lab and ask for a print of that nice and big. a lot of kids choose to do it in school or something so they can make it the way they want it to be.[/quote]

yeah i go to a school that doesnt have a photo class or anything which sucks becasue that what i would like to do. Ill be able to print my own stuff soon when im at college in orange county. But untill then i gotta figure out something to do.

[quote name='Ben Lepley' post='1702293' date='May 15 2007, 10:32 PM']And the scanners that most people on here use, flatbeds, won't scan well enough to give you big sharp prints.[/quote]

yeah thats my problem i dont wana make prints scanned in by my 300 dollar scanner.

basicly i need some good prints for an art show

i just called a photo lab out there that can make me 12x12 at the biggest which i will do some but i would like to be able to make a couple of then like big

[quote name='lubitel_166b' post='1704083' date='May 16 2007, 10:57 PM']anyone here shoot with an etrsi?[/quote]

I have the ETRS which I believe is practcally the same camera. Trying to sell it though.....

[quote name='Fruitboot' post='1702503' date='May 15 2007, 05:19 PM']I can make really nice looking 8x8 scans using my 8400f scanned in at 3200 dpi.[/quote]
ive gotten some super sharp 16"x16" prints of some slides scanned with my 8400f im thinking of going bigger and see how they come out

^^Yea, I'm sure I could go bigger, but the biggest my scanner can print square is 8x8.

I did a couple of 35x31 inch prints @ 300 dpi out of 6x7 negs.
they were scanned with my imacon tough.
but they are sooo crisp...