SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
faustfire

Film Flash Transition

It seems like a lot of people use white flashes as transitions on their vids, and while these look ok a film flash looks much better and here is a simple way to do one in after effects.

1. Import your clips that need the transitions, they can already be edited together, just make sure that they are straight cuts, no dissolves.

2. Drop your clips onto the timeline and then add an adjustment layer above it. (layer/new/adjustment layer)

3. Add the fast blur effect to your adjustment layer. (effect/blur&sharpen/fast blur)

4. Add a "blurriness" parameter keyframe with a value of 50 directly between the clips you wish to transition between. Now add "blurriness" keyframes, with a value of 0, five frames in front of and five frames behind your original keyframe. Make sure you check the "repeat edge pixels" box.

5. Add the levels effect to your adjustment layer. (effect/color correction/levels) Add "histogram" keyframes on the same frames as your blurriness/0 keyframes. Now move your playhead to the same frame as your blurriness/50 keyframe and pull the right histogram triangle way to the left until your clip is all or almost all white.

6. Thats it! To add your flash to the rest of your transitions, just copy and past your group of keyframes into the appropriate frames.

Sample:

[url="http://www.vimeo.com/clip:196957"]http://www.vimeo.com/clip:196957[/url]

there is an easier way to do this,

i was recently workgin on a video for a shcool and the producer told me the transition he wanted, he described it as a white burst, its the same exact thing as that,

except i found it online, FOR FREEEEEE
as a final cut plugin transition!!!!!

you download the free trial and its in there, its called a "vapor across"

[url="http://www.kafwang.com/EUREKA/EurekaMain.html"]EUREKA PLUGINS LINK[/url]

download the one thats called

"Eureka! Free Plugin Package!"

The "Vapor across" is pretty cool and a lot easier, but you really have very little control over it. It also looks really low quality compared to the after effects method, and seems to have a lot of banding. Overall though, its a good alternative to having to export out of fcp and into AE, though personally I would rather spend a little more time and get something that looks better. :)

I saw this exact same thing on creative cow the other night browsing around, pretty cool thing, I'll definitely use a few in this montage I gotta start working on for a video. I think it'll be alot better/fresher than a typical film burn, those are so overdone

that nosegrind was fucking epic, and i really thought the tutorial was pretty helpful. i really like film flashes but never knew how to do it.

i made one right in fcp. i forget how i did it. i'll look it up and let you guys know. i'm not sure if it is as good as what he posted though.

EDIT
never mind. it wasn't the exact same thing. i just messed with the brightness and contrast and keyframed them so they did a flash sort of like that. it wasn't as good though.

It might also help if you ramped the speed up during the fade in to the transition, when there is a film flash usually the speed changes.