SkatePerception

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SteveLaClair

Rip Derek Gertz

I never really though that someone dying on a message board I go to would make me feel this way, but I always though Derek was one of the coolest people on here. He was such a good skateboarder, I remember when Emerica was having that sponsor me contest, and everyone was so pissed that he didn't win and stuff. Even just reading back on his stories, the california one was a favorite of mine. I'm gonna miss him I guess. It honestly bummed me out when I read this today. R.I.P DG is going on my skateboard tommorow. My thoughts and best hopes go out to his friends and family.

damn man, i saw him skating once he had such a nice style. and all the footy that i saw of him he couldve went some where. but hey hes problay shredding right now. i dont know much about him, the threads ive read he posted were funny and he seems like a chill guy.

best wishes to his family and friends

"You never know what you have, untill its gone."

RIP Derek Gertz.

its 2am and this seems like a good idea to me. if someone close to him thinks differently i will delete it. also i dont really feel like i should be the one in control of it so if someone close to him thinks they might want to manage it hit me up.

http://myspace.com/dexonthedex

With all the crazy stuff that's happened in his life recently, it's really sad to see him go like this. It seemed like he was making an effort to get his life back under control. Someone actually dying from a skateboarding accident is really rare. It's just so shocking. And someone as skilled and experienced as Derek- he had good board control and would know how to brace himself for a fall. It's just a really sad freak accident. I go skating by myself a lot, and my mom always says to me, "You shouldn't be skating by yourself, because what if something bad happens to you? What if you get hurt and there's nobody there to help you?" This is exactly what happened Derek, and now I'm gonna be a bit more cautious when skating by myself. It kinda scares me actually, now that I've finally realized that things like this can happen-just like that.

My first online encounter with Derek occurred about 5 years ago- on skateboard.com. He was an OG member over there, and was looked up to and respected by most people on the site. I remember when he posted the promo for the Colors video, it got me so hyped. I even showed all my friends, and they asked me to let them know when the actual video came out. I also remember him posting his part for the "Emerican Idol" contest, and i was in awe (nollie heel banks 9. what!?!?). he was probably about 15 years old when most of that stuff was filmed, and i thought to myself "this kid is going places". shortly after there was a rumor that he was getting flowed by es, i forget if it was confirmed. He also revolutionized "video SKATE" on skateboard.com. basically, someone would film a single trick on flat, and then the other person had 10 minutes or something to land the trick, and then post there video of it (of course there were cheaters). The rest of it played out like normal SKATE. There was a huge match up with Derek and some other kid that was pretty good. Everyone was so amped on it. Derek came out victorious. He started visiting skateboard.com less and less, and made the switch to SP. I wasn't too into SP at that point, but I would check his posts every once in a while, in hopes that he would have some new footy. i had an account on SP in late 2004, then I just stopped going on. I've recently gotten back into the circuit and i've been reading all of Derek's posts since about May. All of his stories were worth reading. He was a funny kid. And Derek was an amazing skater. Haha I would even google his name now and then to try and find footy of him. All these stories are just a way for me to remember Derek, so i thought i might as well share them.

Although I didn't know Derek personally, I was sad to hear that he had died. This has really got me thinking. Human bodies are fragile, and they can only endure so much. No matter what kind of obstacle I'm skating, I'm gonna start to be a lot more cautious. someones else mentioned it in one of these posts about Derek (sorry, i forget who it was), but this story has really made me look at my own life, and i'm just really thankful to be alive, and appreciate being able to skateboard each and every day. Derek was a ripper for sure. He could bust 360s down sizeable sets, but he could also shred a ledge damn good.

Shit, I sure did have a lot to say. There's so much more that I'm thinking and feeling right now that I can't even put into words. RIP Derek Gertz, an inspiration to us all.

maggot titss is the screen name of a friend of his. She asked me to post this here, to help you guys out to know more about it. Feldt also knows everything about it, so he would be a good one to talk to.

R.I.P DG is going on my skateboard tommorow.

i was thinking the same. even though i'm not a great artist, i have nothing on my grip so i'm gonna try to do a mural sorta thing. if it turns out as a stencil i'll post it for all to use.

damn. i talked to him once or twice on aim and he was so chill. i would watch all his videos just realizing how much that dude would shred. as improbable as it is, i wish he would come on and post right now. i could really use a cancel sandwich. RIP dude and i pray for you and those close to you...

I logged onto SP around 11:45 EST, just to do my nightly business- checking out new topics, watching promos and such. I went to AAG first, and the pinned topic about Derek caught my attention. I read all the posts, found this topic, and read all the posts in this too. for the past two and a half hours, i've been reading about derek, watching his old clips, and just remembering my own memories of him.

EDIT: it's currently 4am, and i'm still lurking on DerekG topics.

I've read basically 2 threads since around 8 o clock. This thread, and the other one. The rest of the time i've basically been on aim, or refreshing those 2 topics.

I've read basically 2 threads since around 8 o clock. This thread, and the other one. The rest of the time i've basically been on aim, or refreshing those 2 topics.

same, refreshing the two threads, searching through olddddddd sp posts for derek relics and setting up that myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/dexonthedex

EDIT: im done for tonight. calling it quits at 3am. i hope derek graces me with some badass dreams about robots doing ollie norths.

clemsausage, add maggot titss on aim. she's dereks friend. i think you two will get along.

wow, my buddy technique told me about what happened, i thought it was one the sp jokes at first but fuck, i dont do alot on sp besides the gallery section but he was one of my favorite people on the site. RIP derek. you have made an impact on people who never got the chance to meet you. you will be missed by complete strangers and that is a blessing to you. RIP

this should be a memo to all of us: to everyone that hasnt chilled with a real bro in a while, fuckin do it tomorrow. cause like we know now, death can happen before we know it. anything can happen and you'll regret it when it does. we all share something special in common and we should all feel blessed to have shared even a website with each other. Cause i know ive learned more shit from skating that I have throughout my whole high school career. Skate for Derek, share a brew, share a smoke. He deserves it.

I hope to all that is good and holy that I'm being punk'd so hard right now...

So tell me I just got owned.......

this should be a memo to all of us: to everyone that hasnt chilled with a real bro in a while, fuckin do it tomorrow. cause like we know now, death can happen before we know it. anything can happen and you'll regret it when it does.

Now that you mention it, i've got a couple bros on my mind that i haven't chilled with in awhile, and i'd really like to do so. if only Derek knew the impact he's having on all of right now...

i hope dave doesnt mind, I assume he wont but this vid moved me alot when I first saw it, and it still almost brings me to tears now when i watch it.

With all the crazy stuff that's happened in his life recently, it's really sad to see him go like this. It seemed like he was making an effort to get his life back under control. Someone actually dying from a skateboarding accident is really rare. It's just so shocking. And someone as skilled and experienced as Derek- he had good board control and would know how to brace himself for a fall. It's just a really sad freak accident. I go skating by myself a lot, and my mom always says to me, "You shouldn't be skating by yourself, because what if something bad happens to you? What if you get hurt and there's nobody there to help you?" This is exactly what happened Derek, and now I'm gonna be a bit more cautious when skating by myself. It kinda scares me actually, now that I've finally realized that things like this can happen-just like that.

was he skating alone?

got this in a pm from him ages ago after thanking him for telling me a song name.

bottoms up!

mmm robot soda

made me smile

i need to know where i can get robot soda. i would talk to him in the sp chatroom a lot and he would talk about how amazing robot is. if i can find it im gonna get a 12 pack and pour one out for derek man. kid introduced me to daft punk and was just all around awesome to talk to. rip man, u no doubt will be missed.