SkatePerception
_Man...

How To Widen The Raynox Mx3000

well i had to widen mine tonight so i decided to finally make a good walkthrough with final comparison shots to help anyone else out who needs to do this. so here is what you do....

first, you will need a sony .6x wide angle lens, 37mm threads (can purchase at curcuit city for around $40)

sony8zj.jpg

next, unscrew the very top ring of the lens, and be careful not to damage anything, like so...

6xlensunscrewed3iw.jpg

now, keeping the back lens protector on, firmly hold the lens upside down and slap the bottom of it, to pop out both the front lens, and the one behind it, the lens needed to widen the mx300, and be very careful not to damage anything again...

slapthebottom8yv.jpg

once you have this done, seperate the parts, and get the MIDDLE piece of glass, (the smaller one) and disregard the other, it is of no use. you should have all these parts lying about.

(in my photo, the lens being used to widen the mx3k is on the right side, leaning up against the outer ring)

fisheyeparts6tp.jpg

now, get the mx3k and set it face down, and get the small widening glass ready, CLEAN both thoroughly, because if you dont, you will need to take everything apart and redo it.

mx3000andwideningglass8kx.jpg

now, place the widening glass into the mx3k, face down, so that the concave side is facing up towards you and the more flat side facing down into the mx3k and ground.

stickitinthere6yp.jpg

now, get some clear shoe goo(or some adhesive) in order to securely fasten the lens to the inside of the edge of the mx3000, some people prefer to use other methods, but this is the best.

when you are done, let it dry, and you should have something looking like this, except not as sketchy of course! :lol:

finishedmx3000widened5ui.jpg

COMPARISON SHOTS

sony vx2100, with no lens attatched

withoutlens4st.jpg

sony vx2100, with NORMAL raynox mx3000

withmx30009mf.jpg

sony vx2100, with finished WIDENED mx3000, woo hoo!

withwidenedmx30006ng.jpg

hope this helps out.

and mods, better get me back to positive 4 points or else im gonna cry. read my negative points and find out why im even at -9, youll see.

• Like 1

this took me a long time :lol: ....

someone give me a hug of appreciation and tell me you love me and now im going to go film some sick ass flatground tricks with it. so be ready for some mob flips and 2 inch nosmanuals

• Like 1

sweet tutorial, nice and easy descriptions. My mx3000 and sony .6x are on the way, but when i widen it up, im using a 47.5mm O ring instead of the shoe gooooo

Very good emerica man! Steps are really easy its just that i guess some people have hard time opening the top off. Did you use shoe goo to stick the lens onto the glass? I stuffed tissue in mine:

http://img114.exs.cx/img114/2757/cimg09250cf.jpg

it takes manly muscles to open off the top, all you have to do is screw it off. come on. :lol:

Truely amazing, I was going to give you 5 points but I have no idea what's going on with your points, so I'll leave that to RDR to sort out.

But yeah, this has been needed for a VERY long time, it should be made as an article for the main site but it will be pinned on here for now. I'll edit the shots as soon as I can get them on Imageshack.

With this being on a vx2100 too, it shows that it really must kill the mk2 in wideness (I KNOW, NOT QUALITY), but for you wideness junkies, it's incredible for the price.

Thanks alot EmericaMan.

EDIT:

I've got all the pictures on Imageshack so that sorted, I'll have to delete everyones posts trying to get the pictures up.

thanks alot matt for hosting the images and everything. and yeah, i agree that it doesnt have the most amazing quality, but when i get outside to film some real stuff with it, and i get some nice colors set, i dont think i personally would be able to tell much of a difference, but in my poorly lighted bedroom and garage (garage sesh in random footy) the quality looks worse because of the crap lighting.

and if this became a tutorial on the homepage i would be a very happy little boy, and I would feel like i actually contributed something of worth to skateperception rather than just lurking hardcore. :lol:

alright, after like an hour and a half i got it out.

is there supposed to be any vig on tv? i hooked it up to my tv and there was a bit in both left corners.

ohhhh, im so stoked on mine. i used a glue gun instead of shoe goo, it worked really well, and it takes less than a minute to dry.

its ridiculous how much wider it is. outrageous.

the only downfall is the glare, and the quality loss. the quality loss is almost non-appearent in good light, but its appearent in low light.

it is wider than the intermediate mk1.

im very very happy with it.

Guest sunshine

damn that was sick emerica man i hope my friend aj reads this so he can widen his mx

I don't recommend holding the lens upsidedown and tappin out the pieces of glass. It'd be safer to just pat it onto your palm.

damn that was sick emerica man i hope my friend aj reads this so he can widen his mx

yeah, im kinda on this site robbie....

anyway, as soon as i go to circuit city and get the sony lens im gonna widen it, cause the other one was too broken, it didnt work

Guest sunshine

yeah, im kinda on this site robbie....

WOOOWW dick i was just saying i hope u read this so u can have a better lens

my question is, do you just need to add the step up ring to that method for the vx1000? or is it different?

Yeah, you have the choice of either doing exactly the same but also using the necessary step ring, or fitting the extra lens inside the step ring so you don't have to even touch the mx3000 at all, the choice, is yours.