SkatePerception
DorsaSkateFL

Self Developing Your Own Blockbuster Videogame

Ok. So you read the shitty title and you know what this thing is about. Many people ask what to get when they want to start self developing stuff *cough* BRYANT *cough* . so heres a little guide to help you.

To let everyone know, I'm just stating things that i have experience with. I'm sure theres 23987347 other ways to develop film but im just stating what i know works and what works well for me. If you have anything to add to it, feel free to make a post on your technique.

First off, you need the supplies.

you're going to need reels, canisters, scissors, can opener (for 35mm),a graduate for ill measuring, and a thermometer.Also, you can get a black bag if you dont have a closet you can reel your film in. You can get all of this off b&h. also, get the metal reels and canisters. I've used both and the plastic ones are easier to get on but the metal ones let the chemicals flow better.

Next, Pick your developer. You can use any developer for any film. I personally use microdol because it keeps the grain at bay, but really, it's personal preference. Try different ones and see what you like more.

heres some microdol. link

then you're going to need fixer. fixer
dont forget hyo-check. this little stuff will save your ass. it lets you check to see if your fixer is good. just put a drop in and if it turns white and stays white, its bad. if it just dissappears its good. the longer it stays white, the worse it is. so if its white for a sec then goes away, then its ok for another go but you should replace it soon.
hyocheck

then hypoclear. this stuff lets you reduce the time you need to wash your negs. pretty useful but not necessary if you're willing to wait 20minutes for the wash rather than 10 minutes.
hypoclear

finally some photo-flo. this stuff keeps yo shit fresh. it lets it dry more evenly, and reduces water marks on your film. also, if you get a lot of dust on your negs, you can dip them in this stuff to get rid of them and let it dry again better. photoflo

next is the steps and times.

First you need developer. This can vary drastically. Its based off your film type, iso, developer, developer dilution ratio, and temperature. Also, if you're using microdol, i recommend diluting it 1:3 to save on developer and since this stuff is very strong, it lets it develop your stuff a lot more evenly so you if you screw up on times, it will be more forgiving. heres the greatest developing times chart ever.
Digital Truth Agitate the film every for 5 seconds every 30 seconds. So in 1 minute, you should have agitated it for 10 seconds at different times.
dump your developer when you're done.

Next is water. Put it under water for 2 minutes. for all the washes, you can just let it sit under the faucet You can also use stop bath at this step if you got that instead. you put that for 30 seconds instead of 2 minutes if so. Agitate the stop bath. if you're using stop bath,DONT DUMP IT IN THE SINK put it back with the rest.

Next is fixer. I usually put it in for 3 minutes . I used to do it in high school for 5 minutes but now this teacher told me to do it for 3 minutes and it comes out good. Agitate the same as developer. DONT DUMP FIXER EITHER!!! put it back with the rest.

then you wash it for a minute. just get the fixer out of there.

next, you can pop off the top if you wish because its fine to be seen in light. Put in some hypoclear and agitate it for 2 minutes. you can dump hypo clear.

next, wash it in water for 10 minutes.

last but certainly not least, put some photo flo and DONT agitate it at all. let sit for 30 seconds. then pour it back.

now that you have it all nice and developed, lets dry these babies. makes sure to squeegee it with your fingers alot till theres not to many drops on the film. makes it faster to dry and reduces marks. let them hang and try to put it in a spot with little dust. AND BAAAM! you got some lovely negs ready to be scanned and put on her to get ripped apart.

If you have any questions on anything, message me and i'll be happy to answer them. I hope this helps.

• Like 1

dont most of the chemicals last for quite awhile

yeah if you're using them by yourself. just make sure to keep them in a cool place. preferably somewhere away from sunlight.

do you need a liter or a gallon

all depends on how much you want to have chillen. really personal preference.

Would it be a bad idea to mix brands of chemicals? like if I buy some t-max developer and some ilford fixer? would that be bad?

it's ok to blowdry the negs if you don't feel like letting them dry right?

Just be a man and wait the fucking 20 or so mintues for it to dry. Blow drying can heat up you emulsion and add even more dust to it. Blah blah.

• Like 1

Dont need no can opener to open up a roll of 35mm, use your hands!!! Ha.

Building my new darkroom at the moment, canny wait for it to be done, havn't used a dark room for at least a year and now I've ditched the digi. I'm gunna be a hermit, full time ilford junkie... Cant wait.

Just be a man and wait the fucking 20 or so mintues for it to dry. Blow drying can heat up you emulsion and add even more dust to it. Blah blah.

well i do a lot of stuff during studyhall at school, which is about 40 minutes so i don't have 20 minutes to wait for them to dry

keep water in your tank, and just keep them wet; then dry them when you get home.

Plus, rushing development is not a smart move to do anyways.

well i do a lot of stuff during studyhall at school, which is about 40 minutes so i don't have 20 minutes to wait for them to dry

I develop my shit during lunch, which is 25 minutes. I just pick up my negs at the end of the day.

I'm lucky enough to have a drying cabinet here at school but on a few occasions I've left them over night and had no problems just suck it up princess, theres no point in rushing.

since when was film something with instant results? just let them sit. dont fuck up your film because you need to "do things". be a hermit and wait.

oh and by the way, for all of you who are like, omg color developing can't be done.

it's so easy. i've never done b&w, but seriously it's so simple, and much more satisfying than a lab.

so do it yourself.