Jump to content
SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
zackmorrismedia

Dvx Warning! Just A Heads Up

Recommended Posts

well its been a long time since i have got on SP but i was just going to warn DVX owners of a problem i encountered a few months ago incase any one has never heard of it...if your camera starts to flash WARNING PSD NG its bad!!, it is a warning telling you that your lens assembly has messed up...you can work with it for a while but the problem,there is no discoloring, but the problem just get worse, and eventually the picture starts the shift and the lens makes a grinding sound inside your camera. i got mine fixed for $1400 buck, and only a 100 of that is labor, they have to replace is every part of the cameras lens. so yeah half the internal parts of the camera are replaced.....it pretty much sucks but it works fine once you get it fixed....so i thought i would just warn ya'll about that..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[quote name='Its rob' post='2020420' date='Nov 9 2007, 04:14 PM']That would be rather unfortunate...[/quote]

yeah i havent been on here in a while and was just reading other topics and problems people have had so figured i would throw that out there so people would know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[quote name='neener' post='2020433' date='Nov 9 2007, 04:20 PM']is this just from normal use, or from camera hits and or dropping the camera?[/quote]

from just normal use.....mine came brand new out of the box flashing the damn warning but my warrenty was voided so i had to pay for it.....from the research i did its a pretty common thing for dvx100s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i typed the error message into google, the first result was a thread on DVXuser which i read and one of the more important people at spec wrote this.
[quote]MRFilm,
We see this problem often. It usually requires a ribbon cable re-enforcement panel (hence the bulletin). Sometimes though, we have found that the bulletin isn't always the problem. We have a repair process that we perform to the lens. Those two things work about 95% of the time.[b]The other 5% we need to change out the entire lens assembly. [u]VERY[/u] rare though!
[/b]
NOTE: You need to make sure that your service center has all of the collimation software and jigs to perform the needed back-focus adjustments before they estimate for lens replacement! If not, than your gonna get a blurry DVX back!

Best regards,

Andrew Hoffman
Senior Operations Manager
Specialized Communications Corp.
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
Smithsburg, MD 21783-1510 USA
800-359-1858
Fax: 301-790-0173
andrewh@spec-comm.com
www.spec-comm.com[/quote]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[quote name='Its rob' post='2020420' date='Nov 9 2007, 03:14 PM']That would be rather unfortunate...[/quote]

lawlz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×