SkatePerception
flipsrowleykid

Beginners Guide To The Vx1000

This guide will teach you all the basics you need to know on, which buttons are which, and what they do…and then how to use them.

So first lets take a look at all the buttons and see what their all about.

-The numbers in the pictures correspond to what I’am talking about.

So, lets take a look…

[img]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/flipskate667/vx10004.jpg[/img]

First we will take a look at the back of the vx1000…

1. This is one of your record buttons/lock and standby mode.
2. When the switch (#1) is set into the middle arrow…you push the button in and turn it to the setting you want…either Camera or VTR. This enables you to turn the camera on.
3. This is your hold/unhold and autolock switch. When on hold you cannot change any of your settings around…so obviously, when not on hold you can change your settings around. IF you switch it to autolock, it will change your vx1k to all autosettings and you will not be able to change them. (unless you switch it back to unhold). You do not want it on this setting because you want to set everything manually anyway.
4. Now then, these are all of your settings that you are going to set manually…I will explain them all first as to what they do.
-Program AE, this is auto settings…you do not want this.
-Your shutter speed is what is going to make your picture sharper or blurrier..depending on the time of day. (Their are many people on this site that shoot different shutter speeds during the day…some shoot at 180…some shoot at 500….but you should be in that range roughly, during the day. At night people usually shoot at a 60 shutter speed…or even 90. If you shoot at a 60 shutter speed…your picture will be brighter, but it will also cause more grain in the picture. At night I will normally shoot 60…, your brightness also determines on how high or low your exposure is…but I will explain that later in this thread. You can adjust your shutter speed higher or lower, by using the dial..listed as #5)
-Now then your white balance, when you click this button, you can cycle through 3 settings, Custom white balance, indoor white balance, outdoor white balance. The indoor and outdoor white balance’s are custom balances premade for either being outdoors or indoors. But you will want to set your white balance with the custom white balance all the time. (unless you just need to set your white balance very quickly, in which case just use one of the preset white balances.) To set your custom white balance..click the white balance button so it cycles onto an icon that looks like a flower. (you will know which one). Then zoom into something pure white (for natural looking colors). And click the button right under the white balance button…it looks like a flower. And keep being zoomed in until it is done white balancing (you will know when it’s done). Now you can always white balance off different colors to get different colors…but to get natural looking colors…white balance off something white.
-Your REC level…is just another word for Audio levels. When you click this button you can adjust it higher or lower (using the dial, listed as #5), depending on your surroundings. So say if your filming a line and your really close to the skater, you will want your audio levels lower then normal so your audio doesn’t get blown out. Just remember…if your filming close to a skater or far away, don’t blow out the audio levels (make the audio bars make the red light flash constantly).
5. Yay number 5!, this is simple…what number 5 is…it’s the dial that you will use to move things up or down….higher or lower.
6.This is the bottom part of your settings, the switch all the way to your left…is to open up the batter door…and enable you to put in the battery and change your custom presets around. I will get into custom presets a little later. Since this is a beginners guide iam not going to go into the zero set memory and self timer. But if you look all the way on your right theirs a hole that says DV in/out. This is where you plug your firewire into, so you can capture footage from your vx1000 onto your computer. In this day and age to capture on a vx1000 is highly unadvisable, just get a capture camera.

Now we will take a look at the inside of the vx1000….

[img]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/flipskate667/vx10006.jpg[/img]

1. This is your menu button..since this is a beginners guide iam not going to go into huge detail about the menu. But if you scroll down all the way to the “custom” bar and click execute (that’s the 4th button from the menu button) it will bring you into the custom presets menu, Now when your in this menu…go down to..”set” and click On…so your custom presets are now turned on. When that’s done go down to your color level/sharpness/wb shift. These words are all self-explanitory. You can set all of these accordingly to your surrounds….so if you go to the left on the “color level” bar…your colors will be duller looking, if you go towards the right on the “color level” bar…your colors will be more vibrant looking. The choice is yours, same thing with setting the sharpness and WB shift. But with the wb shift, if you go towards the left..you will get a colder looking picture…if you go towards the right, you will get a wamer looking picture. You will always want to leave your AE shift in the middle because you are never going to use it….because we never use auto exposure……riiiight??? Yes, never use it…always set everything manually.
2. These are your up and down arrows and your execute button. The execute button is just another word for “ok”.
3. This is your steadyshot, when you are filming longlense you are always going to want steadyshot to be on so your filming comes out smoother looking. But remember, if your going to film fisheye…always turn steadyshot OFF, so you don’t get bouncing vig in the corners of your pictures. If you don’t know what vig is. It is the black ring around your picture when your filming fisheye.
4. Digital mode, beginners guide…so not getting into it, just keep it on zoom.

Now lets take a look at the side of the vx1000…

[img]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/flipskate667/vx10002.jpg[/img]

1. This is your focus ring, when your focus is set to manual (#2)…you can manually focus on a subject. You always want to use manual focus and not autofocus. A good example why is, even if your shooting in daylight…and one of your friends is going to do a sick trick…and in the middle of the trick your on autofocus and it blurrs out for some reason…and your friend lands the trick, your gonna be pissed. Just keep it on manual. When something is focused correctly, you will see in the viewfinder that a circle between two arrows is filled in. That is when it is focused correctly.
2. This is your auto/manual/infinity focus….just keep it on manual at all times. The only time I would put it on autofocus, is if you need it in a clutch situation for some reason.
3. This is your ND filter…you can either switch it to on or off (obviously). What ND filters do…is they help block out the sun, you should only be using your ND filters during the day when it is bright out. So if your shooting at night, you should have your ND filter set on “off”.
4. This is where you set your exposure (remember a while back in the thread this relates to your shutter speed…well here it is). When your camera is turned on click the exposure button this will enable you to change your exposure up or down. If you move the exposure wheel up, you will see your picture will get gradually darker…if you move it down you will see your picture will get gradually brighter. Adjust it accordingly to your situation, remember to jam your eye into the viewfinder so no light gets into the viewfinder while your adjusting your exposure. So you don’t accidently overexpose your picture..or underexpose it.
5. Pretty self explanatory, says it right above the button…this is your eject button…so you can put a tape into your vx1000 so you can actually film stuff. (:-o)

Next lets take a look at the top of the vx1000…

[img]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/flipskate667/vx10003.jpg[/img]

1. The photo button, is to take pictures….the big bar thing…is your zoom button.
2. The red button is another record button, it comes in handy in some situations. The little bar thing next to it, although its quick and simple to explain, this is a beginners guide…so not gonna get into it.

Finally…lets take a look at the viewfinder of the vx1000…

[img]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/flipskate667/vx10005.jpg[/img]

1. Basic and simple, this wheel on the bottom of your viewfinder, adjusts your viewfinders sharpness…if you move it one way, it will become blurry, if you move it another…it will become sharper (obviously you want sharper).

Well their it is, your beginners guide to the VX1000....hope this helped a bunch of people out. This was somewhat rushed, so if you are either confused on something or still have questions…either ask it in this thread, or drop me a PM and ill be glad to answer it.
  • Like 2

[quote name='FlipSkate667' post='2027880' date='Nov 14 2007, 06:41 PM']4. Digital mode, beginners guideā€¦so not getting into it, just keep it on overlap.[/quote]
Actully, you should keep the Digital Mode on zoom. If you have it on overlap you will not be able to have a shutterspeed lower then 60.

i hate digi zoom. always keep it off..... but its persoal pref...

veerrry good thread.. my vx is lookin good man. glad she's got a good home :D

but damn man, i was literally gonna make this yesterday hahahahahah.. nicely done.

[quote name='Wes.' post='2028420' date='Nov 14 2007, 10:23 PM']i hate digi zoom. always keep it off..... but its persoal pref...
veerrry good thread.. my vx is lookin good man. glad she's got a good home :ph34r:

but damn man, i was literally gonna make this yesterday hahahahahah.. nicely done.[/quote]
Digital mode set to zoom isn't digital zoom. You go into the menu and switch "D ZOOM" on for that. However, you can only use digi zoom when digital mode is set to zoom.

[img]http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z284/untitleduser/DSCN2155.jpg[/img]

wow this was a reeaally good guide, it helped me out, and I know its going to help a lot of other people out too....

ILU again sam... i got the jap vx1.. and this is PERFECT now.. so i can locate which buttons are which.. although i already know how ot use it.. the pics are great :wub:

thanks again man. you have these threads. for my both cams now hahaha. i really lucked out?!!!

fuck yea thank you, im gettin a 1000 in a week and ive been using a gl2 the whole time so this will definately help, thanks.

[quote name='Wes.' post='2056835' date='Dec 4 2007, 06:40 PM']ILU again sam... i got the jap vx1.. and this is PERFECT now.. so i can locate which buttons are which.. although i already know how ot use it.. the pics are great :wub:
thanks again man. you have these threads. for my both cams now hahaha. i really lucked out?!!![/quote]

Is this vx1 jap version ur talkning about nonnys?....Sam?

lol. nonnys? haha i almost dont even want it now.. haha kidding.

free bump. for vision.

man im getting my vx1k soon and this is gonna help me sooo much.. Sam for mod fo sure!