SkatePerception
mikejl29

The Fisheye Thread

Holy christ... once a day there is a question on which fisheye do I get. In this thread, I will attempt to answer the question on which fisheye do you get. First, we'll start with the body that you have... and work from there... so jump to whichever section lists the body of your camera.

Nikon

The Nikon D3

If you're using the D3, you've got a full-frame camera... so you need a full frame fisheye. That would be the Nikon 16mm f/2.8 AF-D fisheye.

http://www.nikon.ca/...ct.aspx?m=14308

Price: $769.95 on B&H Photo

However, you may be using the camera in DX-Mode to allow for 11 fps, so you may want to consider the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye in addition to the 16mm? Or maybe you'll shoot in DX all the time. That choice is up to you.

The Nikon D2Xs, D2X, D2Hs, D2h, D300, D200, D100, D80, D70, D60, D50, D40X, D40, D1X, D1H, D1

**Please note, none of these will autofocus on the D40 or D40x... but hyperfocal focusing on a fisheye is usually anything past 3 feet, so it's not that big of a deal**

If you're using anything in the above mentioned list, your number one option in the Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8 AF-G DX IF-ED lens.

Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8 AF-G IF-ED

http://www.nikon.ca/...ct.aspx?m=14305

Price: $599.95 on B&H Photo

This lens was designed for the DX (1.5x) crop format and will have no vignetting on any of the bodies listed above. It does suffer some chromatic aberration and some flare shooting into the sun, but it's the best choice for those bodies.

The Cheaper Question

"But Mike," you say... "that fisheye costs $600 on B&H and I'm a cheap bitch who hasn't realized photography is expensive and I should just accept that now... or I will regret it for life and eventually live by the motto 'Buy Nice or Buy Twice'... so is there a cheaper option out there for me?"

Well, with anything in life, the cheaper option always comes at a cost. You will see worse flair, softer corners at the wider apertures, possibly some vignetting, and loads of chromatic aberration.

So now onto your options for the Nikon system.

Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5

Price: $559.95 on B&H Photo.

Is this lens good? Sure it is. The optics are fine and you gain variable zoom range... the benefit to this is if you are working with a film and digital body... or a full frame like the D3. You can shoot the 16mm required to cover a full-frame and then zoom out to 10mm with your digital body and still retain a vignette free-uncropped fisheye image. Definitely considered an alternative to the Nikon 10.5mm or the 16mm... but you also lose the f/2.8 and gain a variable aperture.

Sigma 10mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM

Price: $649.00 on B&H Photo

Good quality glass, but the price puts it over the Nikon 10.5mm which makes it not worth while. Haven't seen any quality reviews on it... but it may produce a tiny amount of black in the corners of a Nikon APS-C sensor.

Sigma 15mm f/2.8

Price: $549.00 on B&H Photo

Maybe as a substitute for the 16mm Nikon on the D3.. but that would be the only reason to get it. 15mm on a 1.5x Nikon sensor crop leaves you with approx. 22.5mm wide-angle semi-fish which sucks.

Sigma 8mm f/3.5

Price: $679.00 on B&H Photo

On price alone this lens is excluded. Forget paying that much when you can get the good Nikon one for less. 8mm would also mean vignetting on your Nikon DSLR body with the APS-C sensor size.

Peleng 8mm f/3.5

Price: Approx. $350 USD on ebay.

So this looks more affordable than the Sigma. You will see some vignetting in the corners of your image on a Nikon DSLR. The flare will be more noticeable than the Nikon version. If you can, I would suggest just saving up for the Nikon version.

Pheonix Fisheye from Ebay / Any screw-on lenses

Price: <$100 USD

Anything that screws to the front of another lens instantly gets rejected... they just plain suck. Don't waist your time. Seriously... dont. You will regret it for life and it's not even worth your time and effort pressing the bid button on ebay, let alone sending money for it.

Canon

As I've already given some reasoning above... just keep in mind that cheaper fisheyes will probably not reproduce as well as the Canon fisheye. Most of the fisheyes comments are already listed above so the same comparison exists.

The Canon Full-Frames: Canon 1Ds, Canon 1Ds Mark II, Canon 1Ds Mark III, Canon 5D (I, II, III), Canon 1Dx, 6D

If you're working with a Canon full frame and have shelled out all that hard earned cash.. why would you rape yourself of any decent quality. There is only one option.

Canon 15mm EF f/2.8 (not in production)

Price: $610.00 on B&H Photo

A staple lens for people working on the full-frame system. A must have.

Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5

Price: $559.95 on B&H Photo

You could get away with using this lens on the 17mm end. It may be a viable option if you are switching between a 1.3x crop/1.6x crop/Full-Frame.

Sigma 15mm f/2.8

Price: $549.00 on B&H Photo

As sharp as the Canon 15mm, with some reviews saying it was even better.

Canon 8-15mm f4 L

Price: $1499.00 on B&H Photo

As sharp as the original EF 15mm f2.8, but now in L glass and you can shoot on Full Frame sensor as well as APS-H (1.3 crop) and APS-C (1.6 crop) sensor. Quite an expensive option but very versatile if you have cameras covering Canon's different size sensors.

The Canon 1.3x Crop - Canon 1D, Canon 1D Mark II, Canon 1D Mark III, Canon Mark IV

Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5

The 1.3x crop is a bit of an awkward crop to work with in terms of a fisheye as nothing is really dedicated to it.

Canon 15mm EF f/2.8

Price: $610.00 on B&H Photo

The problem with the Canon 15mm on the 1.3x crop is that it leaves the Canon fisheye around a 19.5mm semi-fisheye. Some people find it to still be usable and perfectly capable, but others can't live with it so they use the Tokina.

Canon 8-15mm EF f/4 L

As sharp as the original EF 15mm f2.8, but now in L glass and you can shoot on Full Frame sensor as well as APS-H (1.3 crop) and APS-C (1.6 crop) sensor. Quite an expensive option but very versatile if you have cameras covering Canon's different size sensors.

The 8mm or 15mm debate is always open here. You'll either have to crop the vignetting out in post (and there will be a lot of it)... or deal with the slightly less angle of view with the 15mm. That or get the Tokina and set your zoom accordingly (about 12-13mm)

The Canon 1.6x Crop - Canon 40D, 30D, 20D, 10D, 50D, 7D, Rebel XT, DRebel Xti, D60, D30

Canon 8-15mm EF f/4 L

As sharp as the original EF 15mm f2.8, but now in L glass and you can shoot on Full Frame sensor as well as APS-H (1.3 crop) and APS-C (1.6 crop) sensor. Quite an expensive option but very versatile if you have cameras covering Canon's different size sensors. This really is the only solution for this sensor size if you want real image quality!

Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5

The 1.6x crop is going to leave the 8mm fisheye around 12.8mm which still means some considerable cropping to your image. The Tokina will allow you to be at 10mm allowing a perfect 16mm fisheye with the crop.

Sigma 10mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM

Price: $649.00 on B&H Photo

A really good option for the 1.6x crop crowd leaving them with a perfect 16mm. Not sure on the performance but the EX glass, HSM motor and f2.8 aperture should be a good indication of some quality to be had, seeing as there is no true Canon alternative. This lens is only 167° on the Canon and not 180° like it is on the Nikon due to the crop factor being 1.6 and not 1.5 like the Nikon.

Pheonix Fisheye from Ebay / Any screw-on lenses

Price: <$100 USD

Anything that screws to the front of another lens instantly gets rejected... they just plain suck. Don't waist your time. Seriously... dont. You will regret it for life and it's not even worth your time and effort pressing the bid button on ebay, let alone sending money for it.

I also realized I missed the Zenitar 15mm. It sucks. It falls into the same category as the Peleng but it's 15mm instead of 8mm. If you're on a super tight budget and using a full frame body maybe. But that 15mm really lacks wideness on anything else.

This guide is solely for digital cameras. In the film world, the options are even less and you should be able to easily figure it out. Nikon 16mm (AF-D, Ais, Ai) or Canon 15mm (EF or FD). If you're shooting medium format there is only the brand name for your camera (Kiev is crap) so look it up.

Mods, feel free to edit this post to build onto the list if you want to. I've just taken some time to clear up which fisheyes are available.

:P

Your wonderful efforts will never be forgotten.

FINALLY! Thank god, and thank you good sir. This thread was a long time coming and I was always thinking in the back of my head you would be the eventual one to make it.

:P

Actually... how much you want to bet there will still be fisheye threads popping up? Haha.

$20 says theres a fisheye thread within 24 hours.

I'll actually bet you $10 that there isn't. You all in?

I guess I might as well ask this here. I've been thinking about getting a fish for my 1d, but I don't think I'll get a lot of use out of it. I've been thinking about just getting the zenitar just to play with. I know it's shitty, I'm not looking for phenomenal photos with it, but will it still look like a fisheye even if it's on a 1.3 crop? I read mike's comment about the 15mm, so will 16mm be that much of a difference? Any examples?

PLEASE PIN THIS!!!

there are too many fisheye questions!

I guess I might as well ask this here. I've been thinking about getting a fish for my 1d, but I don't think I'll get a lot of use out of it. I've been thinking about just getting the zenitar just to play with. I know it's shitty, I'm not looking for phenomenal photos with it, but will it still look like a fisheye even if it's on a 1.3 crop? I read mike's comment about the 15mm, so will 16mm be that much of a difference? Any examples?

this one is taken with a zenitar and a 1d

523712940_05ff63b54c_o.jpg

Thanks boon. Damn, it looks a lot better than I expected. Can I get them anywhere else besides ebay? I can't really find them. I also thought they were less than 175, thats all I'm seeing on ebay.

i was thinking about picking up a zenny 16mm for my 35mm, just for fun.

i recently got this maybe 3 weeks ago but i don't have a 18-55mm lens anymore i was wondering if anybody would want to trade lens since i cant shoot everything in fisheye..

lol no i clicked the link but im trying to trade my fisheye for another lens on here