SkatePerception
mikejl29

The Fisheye Thread

I'm looking to get rid of my Peleng. I'm seriously over cropping and flares! I'm looking at the Tokina 10-17mm so I can use it on my 1.6 crop and 35mm Canons and I can borrow a 5D mk2 when I want to when I start uni. The one thing that worries me is the level of purple fringing and chromatic abberation I've read about in reviews. Obviously CA and fringing is fairly common on fisheyes but it seems like a lot. Other than that It seems decent but if anyone who's used this lens can give their thoughts???

Any help would be be appreciated

Thanks

I can't speak to that lens specifically, but CA is very correctable in post - if you have LR, it's a non-issue. If you want a lens with excellent overall performance, get the Canon 15mm - I used it when I shot Canon and it's probably the best full frame fish made.

• Like 1

Yeah I need to pick up a copy of Lightroom, I'm still using Photoshop CS3. I was looking at the Tokina because of its versatility but I think I might just deal with the Peleng through the summer and then use a big chunk of my student loan up on the Canon 8-15mm. It's what I'd want to upgrade to eventually anyway.

Thanks for your help.

For anyone wondering, I've had both the manybrand (opteka, rokinon, samyang, etc.) and the Peleng for my 1.6 crop. Peleng is the way to go for sure. It's a lot wider, plus, it doesn't get all soft like the manybrand does at 5.6 or wider

Im looking to get a canon 6D and want to buy the best fisheye out there

Canon 15mm EF f/2.8
Price: $610.00 on B&H Photo
A staple lens for people working on the full-frame system. A must have.

or

Sigma 15mm f/2.8
Price: $549.00 on B&H Photo

or

Rokinon 12mm f2.8

Price : 399

From what I saw the new rokinon seems to outperform the other 2 even without a AF motor ....

http://www.slrlounge.com/rokinon-12mm-f2-8-full-frame-fisheye-lens-review-urbex-extreme-adventure-photography-lens/

the canon 15mm has better distortion if you're looking to shoot photos, but the 12mm will be the widest and cheapest. the best lens and i can say this because i have it and have used the 15mm and the aps-c version of the rokinon, the 8mm 3.5, is the canon 8-15mm f/4. its the sharpest out of all of them and you have the ability to shoot square crop fisheye, full circle (if you're into that), filming in hd with some vignetting, or at 15 for full frame.

Hey guys, looking into a fisheye for nikon ff body, thinking of the 16mm 2.8d, any difference between the ai and the d? also heard the 16mm 3.5 ai is sharper?