SkatePerception
VX1_Skate

Getting Sharp Scans

Ok so i feel like scanning is something so so so so important yet we never talk about it. And this is also my effort in getting everyone off of talking about gear.

So im sorta just curious as to what all of your scanning procedures are (indicate what scanner and softwear your using) and also as mainly what and how you guys go about getting the sharpest scans. ive noticed that a lot of my photos there comming out like harsh/blotchy sharp and i hate it i want them to look crisp sharp. it seems like everything i get is made differently just for me to fuck me over

so hopefully you guys can contribute to this

Well I have a Microtek Scanmaker 8700, which I guaruntee nobody on this site has, but that's okay. I scan 6x6 at 1400 dpi and 35mm at 3000 dpi, It sounds like a lot, but they're not huge files, 5-10mb per scan, and the quality is just right I think. I scan 6x6 on glass, and lay it on strips of 2 shots, and it doesn't curl up or anything, especially color stuff from Walmart, that stays perfectly flat. I find it important to Windex the glass before I use it. For 35mm, I just slide it into the holders. The biggest part of scanning to me is to not change any settings at all for brightness, contrast, etc on the scanner softwear. It's gonna look flat and dull in the preview, but it'll give you a lot more to work with in Photoshop. That is everything I do when it comes to scanning.

PS, I don't do any sharpening in Photoshop, it's not at al necessary.

edit: I scan as jpegs, I never bothered with .tiffs

Not scanned much but this is my process:

Load neg's/slides into 4490

Scan each frame at XXXDPI, save as uncompressed .TIFF files

Automatically saves to a folder called 'Scan Pool'

Open 'scan pool' into PS and adjust scans accordingly, then save into whatever folder I need them in.

I am actually quite interested in finding out people's workflow, how does everyone go about doing all this?

question, where are you guys getting your glass for scanning? and howcome you don't use the neg holders for 6x6?

My scanner comes with a glass holder, 35mm holder, 6cm holder, and 4x5 holder. But the 6cm holder is 6cm across one way, but the other way i'm not sure, but i also don't like cutting each shot individually, which is what I'd have to do if I used the 6cm holder.

you could just use a piece of glass from a picture frame.

so if you were to use glass you would sandwish your negative in between 2 pieces of glass?? what difference does this make also

My scanner comes with a glass holder, 35mm holder, 6cm holder, and 4x5 holder. But the 6cm holder is 6cm across one way, but the other way i'm not sure, but i also don't like cutting each shot individually, which is what I'd have to do if I used the 6cm holder.

Sounds like that one might be used to scan mounted 35mm slides. Maybe?

my scanner came with one for mounted slides, i have a canoscan 8800f.

edit: so many people reading this thread, it should become a live discussion/chat

Yeah I really don't know, I just never bothered with using it. But f64, the only time I'd use picture frame glass is if my negatives were curling, but then i just stick them in a book till they're flat, cause I hate newton rings.

by sandwiching your negs between glass, isn't that going to get them newton rings too?

i've had a big problem with getting sharp scans also. i kind of want to trade my canoscan 8400f for an epson 4490. i hear they scan medium format better. also, the scangear software for canoscans is horrible.

Canoscan 8400F, Canoscan Software.

1# Windex Glass

2# Lay negs in holder

3# Open Photoshop, File>Import>Canoscan 8400F

4# Set Film Type, and check the DPI so it's 1200dpi

5# Select and scan the frame into Photoshop.

6# Crop your frame to how you want it. (I.E. no border/border and straighten the scan)

7# Filter>Sharpen>Unsharp Mask.

8# Set the Top Slider to somewhere in between 100-120.. do it by eye. Second Slider to 0.1, last slider to 0. Click Ok/Done.

9# Image Size> Resolution to 800. (making sure that the bottom right drop down menu is clicked to 'bicubic sharper' THIS IS THE KEY!)

10# File> Save As. (This is your Full Res. Copy)

11# Levels, Contrast, Whatever to this 800dpi file.

12# Resize to 400DPI (making sure that the bottom right drop down menu is clicked to 'bicubic sharper' THIS IS THE KEY!)

13# Unsharpen mask around 50 top slider, all the other sliders stay the same.

14# Resize to whatever size you want from here. I'm gonna say keep it around the 300dpi mark, otherwise your detail is going to look horrid. (making sure that the bottom right drop down menu is clicked to 'bicubic sharper' THIS IS THE KEY!)

This is all i do.. and i get alot better scans than i used to.

• Like 1

^^^^^^

WOW!!

thats so helpful <_<

so basically this would work with any scanner i guess

word to timmy, even better that I've got the same scanner.

i scan with a canoscan 9950f. i lay my negatives under some picture frame glass, but i taped a piece of paper under the glass so it won't be right on the surface of the negatives, thus preventing newton rings. then i just use unsharp mask and some levels, since contrast is lost during scanning

I scan with a Epson 4490 and I think it's really good for the money, though I´m looking for a Imacon as soon as I got the money.

I scan my 6x6 with the neg holders, that btw are worst most flimsy negholders ever. It feels like I'm gonna break them every time I use them.

When I scan I set my DPI accordingly to what I'm going to do with it, if Iknow it's only for web then probably around 800DPI. If it's a picture that I know might be going for print then 2400 which gives me about a 16Megapixel pic (around 150 MB <_< ).

I used to scan with Vuescan but I got so different results everytime so I have gone back to epsons software. In the scanning software i don't do much I only check so the exposure is ok, pretty flat but not to flat because the it can get a bit noisy. Turn off all dustremoval and grainreduction, no sharpening. Now scan.

Then i finally do some touching up in PS, remove dust, set levels and curves and finally smartsharpen it till it's crisp.

This is a 100% crop of a 3800px by 3800px scan, sharpened in PS:

scanjw0.jpg

vx1skate, you have a v700? negative holders for medium format suck on that scanner. I recommend the holder rather than is laying it on the scanner though.

scan tifs, do no sharpening in the scanner, NO DIGITAL ICE (you should be scanning with espon scan), ppi whatever.

That scanner is pretty sick though, you shouldn't be struggling too hard with getting a good scan. It's all about how you handle your file.

I've also read about the neg holders being real shabby in the epsons, and on a few websites i've read that its best to replace them. My question is.. replace with what make? where from?

at the moment im split between the 4490 and the 8600f (or one of the similar models)... so any help with that would be much appreciated.

I very happy with my 4490.

How i scan my stuff if sending them in to a mag or just for internet use.

1.Scan at 3200dpi

2.In photoshop shrink it down to 2400dpi using bicubic sharper

3.Do any photoshop work at 2400dpi (cloning neg dust, cropping to much black from the boarders out . . etc.)

4.Shrink it down to 300 dpi @ 12x12 inches (3600pixelsx3600pixels) using bicubic sharper

5.Save file as TIFF

For internet use I do the same thing only

6.Shrink the file down once more time to around 700pixelsx700pixels.

7. Unsharp mask

8. Save file as, jpeg

Bicubic Sharper

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Thanks alot dude, care to explain a little bit about bubonic sharper though?

vx1skate, you have a v700? negative holders for medium format suck on that scanner. I recommend the holder rather than is laying it on the scanner though.

scan tifs, do no sharpening in the scanner, NO DIGITAL ICE (you should be scanning with espon scan), ppi whatever.

That scanner is pretty sick though, you shouldn't be struggling too hard with getting a good scan. It's all about how you handle your file.

yeah idk i know its like one of the best flat bed scanners but im just a sharp nazi. As of recently ive started scanning with non of that scanner softwear stuff like grain and dust i just spend extra time cleaning my glass and negs. i think im getting better scans.