SkatePerception
VX1_Skate

Getting Sharp Scans

Pin this thread. Incredibly useful/helpful stuff in here.

Pin this thread. Incredibly useful/helpful stuff in here.

I second this.

im really glad when i see threads like these do well cause stuff like this is very helpful to everyone and it gets us off talking about gear so much

yea this will definately help, i ordered a 4490 refurb a few nights ago and the fedex site said "schedualed for delivery" today, but when i got home from school it was "future delivery requested".. it wasn't like a missed attempt it's just that there was no attempt, i'm so pissed because i saw this thread last night and was just so pumped to take all this helpfulness and put it into my scanner

yeah i love the v700 thats what i use but the neg holders for mf are bitches but then I found that when i use glass or lay it on the flatbed i get hella newton rings. any ideas?

man, all i do is:

lay the negs on my scanner (canoscan 8600) weigh down the edges of my negs (6x6) with glass, totally crucial since walmart does my negs

scan that shit using photoshop with no settings on aside from dust removal at high at 1600dpi, i think, i know i get like a 35-40mb file from 6x6

save the full resolution

resize to 1024x1024, unsharp mask and then upload to flickr.

i use autolevels occasionally.

You shouldn't have a problem getting sharp scans with the v700...

100 percent crop at 800dpi... None of that digiice shit or unsharpen mask in the scanner or photo shop. Just levels in the epson program.

croplt3.jpg

yeah i love the v700 thats what i use but the neg holders for mf are bitches but then I found that when i use glass or lay it on the flatbed i get hella newton rings. any ideas?

you need to get yourself a custom holder such as this one.

www.betterscanning.com

www.betterscanning.com <-- V700 custom holders.

they do a whole range of products for most of the Epson, Agfa and Microtek scanners.

i have the 4490 and im happy with the job it does. can someone tell me what this non-newton ring glass is called?

LINK

I think it's just called Anti-Newton glass. Any place that sells glass for framing, windows, and everything else should have it. I think there's a misconception that you have to buy it from a photo supplier.

Edit: Yeah Lewis. Here's some other info:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/mediumformat/...57603747008194/

i think i just want robbies scanner. He scans at 1200dpi and i scan at 1500dpi and my scans are nowhere near as sharp at 100% crop :blink:

Does anyone use the Digital ICE feature? On my V500 I used it on the 'quality' setting and it made my scan look like a water colour print. Does this happen to anyone else?

Does anyone use the Digital ICE feature? On my V500 I used it on the 'quality' setting and it made my scan look like a water colour print. Does this happen to anyone else?

happens with my 4490, i dont use any of that shit

Yeah I tried it for the first time on saturday afternoon because I had a neg that had so much dust etc on it you'd swear it was growing fur.

don't use digital ice. It does like multiple scans at different levels settings to try to make for a "sharper" image. But it just fucks you over when you have like a dust mark on it or something. There are other programs, but epson scan is legit.

Pardon my noobness, but this is all for scanning negatives, correct?

I'm thinking about getting into MF but am all mixed up about scanning the processed film. Is the process the same for slide film? Or could you give a me a quick run down on the slide film process?

well

first i clean the neg with a antistatic brush

mount it in the holder. scan around 5-800dpi since i use it for web most of the times.

make sure i get as much information as possible from the scan, then edit in photoshop

imacon w flexcolour

100% crop from the mamiya6 and apx100

r25k4j.jpg

Ive tried every technique in this thread and I still can't get a sharp scan out of a bw 35mm neg with my 4490. I'm hoping MF will be better.

well

first i clean the neg with a antistatic brush

mount it in the holder. scan around 5-800dpi since i use it for web most of the times.

make sure i get as much information as possible from the scan, then edit in photoshop

imacon w flexcolour

100% crop from the mamiya6 and apx100

r25k4j.jpg

fuck you!