SkatePerception
VX1_Skate

Getting Sharp Scans

I got an Epson V500 for christmas, and I finally just got around to begin scanning some film. Im scanning at 1200dpi then throwing it into photoshop like tunebomb suggested, and I hope my scans come out as sharp as his do.

The 4490 I got for christmas came in the mail today. I'm almost done scanning my first roll. :unsure:

Everything that I have scanned so far has come out alright. Been scanning at around 1200dpi, unsharp mask, bicubic sharpener. But this last batch is really fucked.

This:

3152518905_5f4f992478.jpg

and This:

3153355576_18c1e2a9a3.jpg

are on the same strip, same batch scan. Why the differnce? I even rescanned at 3000, and it was the same. What am I doing wrong?

I scan at 6400 dpi for medium format and 35mm then i set the max width in photoshop from like 14000 pixels to 3000 which is a reasonable amount of good working size instead of the mammoth file but you still have the 6400 dpi when you do that so its very very sharp

after that i put them all in iphoto and crop around the edges just how i want it even though iPhoto sucks its good for some things like the re touch tool is pretty easy to get dust off your scans way easier than the clone stamp tool in photoshop

i still really cant get a sharp scan with my v500 i dont know why

6400 is overkill. I mean what are you doing with these scans, 6400 for internet use, YIKES.

Honestly, and having a crazy DPI doesn't get "very very very sharp scans"

its good to have that quality for printing purposes

what if you want to make prints and you have to go rummage through all your negatives and re scan? its not hurting anything just to have it

and i believe the higher the dpi the higher the quality so....

I scan at 6400 dpi for medium format and 35mm then i set the max width in photoshop from like 14000 pixels to 3000 which is a reasonable amount of good working size instead of the mammoth file but you still have the 6400 dpi when you do that so its very very sharp

after that i put them all in iphoto and crop around the edges just how i want it even though iPhoto sucks its good for some things like the re touch tool is pretty easy to get dust off your scans way easier than the clone stamp tool in photoshop

i still really cant get a sharp scan with my v500 i dont know why

i scan at 800 dpi and when i print i never come across problems

I plan on rescanning some negs at about 2400dpi to send out for prints. Should be a high enough setting right? And up to what size before there's quality loss.

Ugh.

you're silly.

me?

what should I be doing?

300dpi is the highest printers use.

So anything above that is excessive and pointless?

So anything above that is excessive and pointless?

pretty much.

i scan at origional size at 2000DPI, which when i scan 120, changing a scan from 2000DPI to 300DPI i can print something close to 14x14.

or you could also scan at 8x10 or whatever at 300DPI to begin with.

me?

what should I be doing?

I was talking to Dylan K, who is giving advice on something he's not too familiar with.

Pin this thread. Incredibly useful/helpful stuff in here.

With your new found modship you could do it. :angry:

pretty much.

i scan at origional size at 2000DPI, which when i scan 120, changing a scan from 2000DPI to 300DPI i can print something close to 14x14.

or you could also scan at 8x10 or whatever at 300DPI to begin with.

Right, but as a default with scanning software, reducing DPI reduces target size.

For example, if I scan at 500 DPI, it's like 1000x1000. If I scan at 4800, it's like 8,00x8,000.

For 6x7 negs, I will usually scan for 11x14 at 300dpi which comes out to be around 3300x4200ish. If I wanted to bring bigger that that (as I do for a few of my shots) I would adjuts the document size accordingly.

As for the scanning itself. My negs are usually awesomely flat so I just lay them straight on the glass. No glass on top or holder. I don't get any newtown rings and frankly the scans kick the shit outta the ones I got with the holder. Idk. It works for me. I use Epson Scan since I have a v500 and the only check box I have on is USM set to low usually. Sometimes medium. This always looks way better than what I do myself using USM in PS. It's just enough sharpening. 48bit color too. Get the most information you can guys.

heres a recent scan. Boring shot, but the scan is pretty good. This is 50% of the original. That was with USM on low as the only sharpening. Pentax 67, 105 2.4 @ f4 I think. 160vc.

http://www.pixelbypixeldesign.com/scan2592.jpg

Might take a bit to load.

I'm having a real problem getting slides to scan nicely on my 4490. Nothing is sharp, I have a photo with text that I can read through the loupe but not on the scan. Almost all of the photos are turning out this way. The slides look nice but the scans just aren't sharp.

i know a lot of you have the v700 and other models but what about the v300? does it suck? should i not bother getting it?

I think i have a problem, whenever i try to scan at any DPI with the epson 4490 it comes out looking like a blurry television. is there something im missing to this?

Hmm, can you do a print screen, or just post one of the photos? And what settings are you using (dust removal, grain reduction etc...)

actually i fixed that problem, now im getting scans wiht really off colors. im scanning one now that was scanned by a photo lab to compare them.

Are you using digital ice?

It;ll make your picture come out like a water color

edit/ if it's 35mm your scanning you're probably going to not have the same results as a lab.