SkatePerception
VX1_Skate

Getting Sharp Scans

For some reason, I am getting soft, funky colored scans from my 4490. I dont know if its the fact that it is in fact a cheap scanner, or if its me just not knowing how to fucking use it.

I mess with it for a while, but i cant seem to get it right. Idk. What are peoples methods for getting a satisfactory image out of this cheap piece.

edit: 35mm scans

Did you try my settings up there ^?

My scans don't look great straight out of the scanner. I have to tweak them in PS to get them how I want. The secret is to get a relatively sharp scan with flat colors (no blown highlights or shadows too dark). Then take it into PS and re-sharpen and adjust colors, levels, curves, etc.

If I have very little money and need to get some negatives scanned fairly soon, will the Epson 3490 get the job done reasonably well?

if you needed them done that quickly you could just have CVS or someone do it for you for cheap

if you needed them done that quickly you could just have CVS or someone do it for you for cheap

I did end up taking them to a walgreens, but out of curiosity, how does the Epson 3490 compare to the 4490, v700, ect?

i fucking hate my 4490. i always get shitty scans. i selling it as soon as i can and then getting a v700.

the only way ive ever been able to get decent results after editing in PhotoShop.

I just hit "Auto Tone" then "Auto-Color" and if i have to then just play with the "Curves"

if you make that a habit, there's no point of having various brands/types of film. you're just making your shots look somewhat similar. there was no auto setting in the dark room.

I have been shooting film for a while now and I want to get a scanner that does 35mm film and 120 slides, and I was hoping to get one for relatively cheap, under $200 if possible but if it is a little more that is cool. I was just wondering what you guys would suggest?

I am debating between the v500 and one of thouse plustek(7400 or 7600i). does the plusteks make a big improvement in quality over the v500? I shoot 35 mm and haven't thought of going medium format yet but i might. I would like to do big prints eventually, what do you guys think?

can the plusteks do MF? If not get the v500

I think Plustek has a 120 dedicated scanner in the pipelines.

Loving the 7 month delay in the response, got a Plustek 7400, shit was a pain in the ass, super slow and couldn't get good results. I returned it!

Anyone on here have experience with using older Imacon Flextight models with scsi to usb adapters? Seems like that could be a good reasonably priced option.

why do people use the unsharp mask? i prefer the flexibilty of the high pass filter. it's non destructive sharpening where as an unsharp mask is destructive.

I'm using a V500, and I feel like my shots are notably grainy/noisy. The grain reduction option in epson's software seems to do little to nothing, and in some cases make it worse. If there's someone out there willing to share with me their exact setting they use in the software, that'd be awesome.

Some people say ok things about the V750 and other Epson flatbeds, Personally I can't stand my V600. Saving up for a good scanner is worth the wait.

Some people say ok things about the V750 and other Epson flatbeds, Personally I can't stand my V600. Saving up for a good scanner is worth the wait.

Wut. Personally I absolutely hated V750s. My school has 3 and I've tried each one extensively and had a far worse experience with color negative and digital noise than my out of box V600.

The main problem with V700's is the shitty MF holders. I cant use them on that fact alone. I can get real sharp 4x5's and 35mm from it but fuck MF. those holders are worthless. I got a 4870 a while back and its everything I need and a little more, I can do up to 4x5, and it has real legit holders for everything. bought it used for 50$ and its paid for its self a few thousand scans ago.