SkatePerception
myspace

The Basics To Buy A Digital Slr

A digital single-lens reflex camera (digital SLR or DSLR) is a digital camera that uses an automatic mirror system and pentaprism to direct light from the lens through the viewfinder eyepiece.

The basic operation of a DSLR is as follows: for viewing purposes, the mirror reflects the light coming through the attached lens upwards at an approximately 90 degree angle. It is then reflected by the pentaprism to the photographer's eye. During exposure (when the photograph is taken), the mirror swings upward, and a shutter opens, allowing the lens to project light onto the image sensor.

so the next question your gona ask is what is a good dslr to buy?

well first you need to decide what brand you want i would only sugest nikon or canon, but some people might say pentax too. but if it came down not to nikon or canon i would choose a sony beacuse they have great sensors.

so if you want a nikon your gona ask "should i get the d40" i would say NO, but the guy at ciruit city is gona say yes beacause he gets paid for you buying it.

so why not the d40. well it only focuses with af-s lenses which have auto focus motors built into the lens, and are usualy only go down to an f/stop of 3.5.

also it is realy small and light, for socer moms thats a good thing but for skate photographers its not, you just have to feel the differnce from a d40 to like a d2h, amazing. so what camera should i get? D50 or a D70.. the best camera avalible for the price. the only downside is you only can get them used and the d50 dosent take a cf card. buy them on keh.com

ok so i think i might get one of those dslr's should i get the 55-200?

No, i wouldnd sugest any af-s lenses exept the 18-200. the best lense you can get for your money are a nikon 50mm 1.8 new their 109.00.

and if you would like a wide angle zoom you should invest in the sigma 17-35 their like 300.00 new and sigma has great glass.

what about fisheyes?

check out the fisheye thread

i dont think i want nikon i like canons!!!

ok in my veiw i think canons are over priced, but for your $$$ i would sugest the 400D or you could get the 20D, the 20d is an amazing camera its an all metal body so it feels great, yo can also get a grip for it that makes it feel even more amazing and you get a vertical shuter release. people like ken rockwell have said that the 20d is canons comparison to the nikon d70, in a way thats true exept its 150.00 more, but you get what you pay for because the d70 has a plastic body. but with the d70 you get unlimited sync

whats sync?

here!

so whats a good lens to get for my canon?

well definatly advoid the kit les also, your best fixed focal length lens would be a 50mm 1.8 they are simply amazing lens's and have been used for decades

if you want a zoom lens get the sigma 28-70 2.8, it looks like it would be a solid lens

if anyone would like to contribute to beginer canons, be my guest i shoot nikon!!!

what about flashes?

i wouldnt get into that game right now just stick with your 50mm and shoot with out them and learn comp. and all the basics when your ready go for the lighting. and i would start out with a 2 flash setup. i am realy against on camera lighting.

thanks,

-tommy

I don't know man, good job for trying to help out, but some of your grammar is just terrible.

i know i fixed it now i did this at 4 in the morning

this might be a dumb question, would it be better to start off with a digital camera or film camera?

it all up to u i started on a film camera beacuse their cheaper, but it realy depends on how you want to learn i would say start on film

this might be a dumb question, would it be better to start off with a digital camera or film camera?

Shooting film first, such as the oh so popular canon ae-1 should help you learn more about photography quicker. Because everything's manual. You'll learn what a shutter speed is, aperture, ISO(film speed), ect.

You can learn all of that stuff on a digital SLR also, But for beginners, it's easier to choose 'auto' where the camera does all that stuff for you. Instead of actually figuring things out on the manual setting.

If you decide to go digital first. I would highly suggest always shooting in manual.

yes i would look at shooting 35mm film first, then get a digital. if you like digital and want to go somwhere look into a medium format camera