SkatePerception
FuckSocialMedia

Who Has More Say On Where Footage Goes

your point is making me reconsider my previously stated opinion.

i like this idea.

good haha. well i sent my friend footy of him cause he said he was going to send it out to his sponsor so he doesnt get kicked off. he ended up sending it all to another filmer for a part in their video. i was pissed because i didnt go pick him up, film him, use my money on tapes and gas, and use my lights and generator for somebody else's video. i did it all with the intention of using everything i filmed for his part in my video. so i pretty much got fucked over for being a nice guy and now im kinda sketched out about sending people footy.

thats rough tim. ppl are so fucked sometimes.

im filming for a friends video... and so far. he hasn't put my name in the promo. that i filmed half of the clips of..

and he refuses to drive to my house to get the footy. i had to drive to his house to give him the footy.... and he wants me to send all the new shit, on filefront or something. fuck that, im about ready to tell him to a. film his own shit... or b. get his ass here if he wants it.

after this videos done. im making clips. just monthly or bi monthly clips of quality. and in betweens of throwaway... practice editing and get real good at filming. while everybody chills out of video mode...

then i can make a dope fulll length and well all be stoked oni t.

i did it all with the intention of using everything i filmed for his part in my video.

Important sentence. That's the one thing that makes me understand both sides to this. If you're filming something, intending it to be in your video, then it should be in YOUR VIDEO, and that's it, unless YOU send it to someone else, knowing that it will go in someone else's video.

you see, i've been filming this guy for years with the intention of making a video and him having a two song part. he's got tons of footage with me. but now he's saying he doesn't care where it goes as long as it gets seen, and it just so happens that I'm about to be putting out the promo to our video, and the local skateshop FAMILIA is asking him for his footage for their video (not confirmed yet though). it fucking sucks, i already gave up one of his bangers for boondoggle, now maybe a few minutes of footage more.

dude the skater put the effort into the trick. its their call 100% IMO.

he can decide where everything goes, when he films it himself. until then, the person who put forth the effort to film it, it's their footage.

you see, i've been filming this guy for years with the intention of making a video and him having a two song part. he's got tons of footage with me. but now he's saying he doesn't care where it goes as long as it gets seen, and it just so happens that I'm about to be putting out the promo to our video, and the local skateshop FAMILIA is asking him for his footage for their video (not confirmed yet though). it fucking sucks, i already gave up one of his bangers for boondoggle, now maybe a few minutes of footage more.

tell the shop, if they want his footage, to sign a contract with you, pay you for the clips, and have your name in the credits.

i think it depends on what the footy is for, like this dude in my city is putting together a video that will soon be premiering and has tons of hype leading up to it and what not, and "twinskate" as known on sp goes filming with the some of the people with parts in the video, and "twinskate" was specifically told not to put footy on the internet, as to not leak any footy, because they were specifically filming for the video, then "twinskate" goes ahead and leaks half of one dudes part and some other stuff, and doesnt remove it after he was nicely asked, now "twinskate" wont show his face any where because he is afraid of being bitched out. that is one instance where the skater would have control of the footy.

i agree with tim.

im the one who put in the time money and effort to get footage for my video. its a lot of work and it takes up a lot of your time. one of my favorite parts of filming is post production, and if i were to send out my tapes, then i would completely surpass one of my favorite elements of filming skating.

Uhh dude, you know FAMILIA is a snowboard movie already, it came out this year from the technine team haha.

Uhh dude, you know FAMILIA is a snowboard movie already, it came out this year from the technine team haha.

familia is the name of the skateshop not the video im pretty sure.

well in my opion it goes to the filmer. And the guys where i'm filming with agree with that and respect that. If they have to show footage for their sponsers they ask verry nicely and they try to keep it as secret as possible.

it should be up to the the skater because if they get what they want they will be more down to help you out later, and film with you more, they can always find another filmer

its the filmers footage.. you filmed it. its on your tape. you ultimately decide where it goes..

but its not worth losing friends over.. just work something out.

I think it's definitely the skater's choice. The filmer does pay for the camera and tapes and shit but the skater is doing all the tricks. If the filmer offers to film then the skater should be able to choose where it goes. If you wanna have control over everything then don't film em.

the skater really has no say honestly unless hes like do you want to go film with me so I can get footage for this part in someone elses video and thats the agreement from the begining

if he goes filming with you he has to know that you are obviously going to put it towards your own project.

if he really wants the footage that bad he, or the person who is making the movie he wants to be in, should be throwing you money for the footage. Thats just the way things work.

i know this is a gay example but ryan sheckler cant go tell MTV like fuckoff im using this footy for the plan B video or something like that.

In my personal experience I have been filming with some surfers for my movie for a while and now some of there sponsors want some. I'm gonna talk to them soon but tell them straight up that they will either have to a) pay me some good ass money which in surfing im told the going rate is $300 for each minute of footy, or he is going to have to let me put the footage of his riders in a promo for my movie which I will put on their site

Footy should go to Filmer. I mean think about it. Your camera, tapes, time and effort to film him. If he doesn't like it then tell him to find another Filmer and don't give him the tape. I'm glad i don't run into these problems.

are all the ppl in this thread who says footy should go to the skaters skateboarders??? cause obviously if u r the one doin the tricks ur gonna say it goes to u...so

True, but can't you always have it in both? if its just one trick i dont see why not unless the videos are like going up against each other.

thats prolly what I would do

if theres no money involved then its the filmers content on the filmers tape. The filmer could take the skater's opinion into consideration but its not needed.

im glad both of the main filmers around here will ask if they can use "my" footage" in a montage or save it for the video. it works out nicely! and they both send me "my footage" if i ask them for it!

The filmer gotta lay down the rules.....

Anyway, the person editing should get the footy!! which is usually the filmer... plus if the skater is wants the footy to put on youtube and brag about his parts, then no, but if its for something like a legit sponsor me that he wants to send to a legit company, then yea, help him/her out

I've kinda had the same problem, but backwards. I was filming some shit for Strangenotes (paid w/ name in creds and all that) and I got in a fight with the skater and he's tellin them not to use it. So maybe $500 in footage and he doesn't want it used at the moment. And we'll probably not be fighting in a month, and the video will be out and done.

I'm telling them to use it, he's telling them not to. :/

Who do you think has more say on where footage goes? I am currently trying to film for my own video but my buddy wants to use all his footage for another local video.

Keep in mind, money is not a factor.

skater

ok, ive gone through this as well. I know that i put MORE effort into filming than the skater does into skating. I almost ALWAYS do all the driving and put at least double the gas money they do. i film 5 people at once, DOING LINES while they get a break between turns, im still barging it every try and i live in the Florida heat. i pay for most of the tapes, they ask ME to film them. its my footage for ME to do with as i please... I sent footage to a friend of him skating and he sent it to world industries. they then used the footage that i had filmed for HIS PART in MY VIDEO in a promo for a promo video they are "supposedly" making without paying me or giving mention of me whatsoever. i no longer send footage to the skaters unless i know what their intentions are. Even when i willingly have givin up footage for videos that friends were making, i didnt get even credit let alone pay in any of them. (Powell FUN, Holy Cow, SkateFL 2, RoughDraft). ya learn the hard way i guess. filmer has the rights! the end...