SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
Jon Rogers

The Bicycle Thread

so I'm very short on cash but want to get my own fixed gear so I don't have to keep on borrowing my friends, and I came across those crosslake fixed gear bikes on ebay (about $280 shipped with a fixed gear cog and lockring,which is my only problem with bikesdirect is you have to buy your own cog and lockring) and have read mixed reviews on them so I was wondering if anyone on here had one or knew of someone with one?

so I'm very short on cash but want to get my own fixed gear so I don't have to keep on borrowing my friends, and I came across those crosslake fixed gear bikes on ebay (about $280 shipped with a fixed gear cog and lockring,which is my only problem with bikesdirect is you have to buy your own cog and lockring) and have read mixed reviews on them so I was wondering if anyone on here had one or knew of someone with one?

N0 NO NO NO NO. DO NOT GET THEM! they are fucking pieces of shit. well the wheel sets are atleast. i stripped the hub after a few months of riding and made a ton spokes loose from doing 180's. ive seen a couple around town and i just feel like they are going to die on them. i feel like the frame might be just as shitty as the wheelset/ other components. my friend thinks its a giant frame. i would just steer clear. as for bikes direct, the same friend has a windsor he got off there. its holding up just fine he does velo, street, tricks, and polo. it seems to be holding fine. he did change out the wheel set though. a couple of other people have merciers from them and they seem to be holding too. just save up and brave getting one from bikes direct or check to see if you have some sort of non profit bike shop. i built mine up for free and just bought a fixed wheel set.

see if your town has something like this

http://www.derailerbicyclecollective.org/

im in the green shirt and black hat! they have some dope frames with nice and tight geometry.

299 free shipping. Only thing is the pedals suck dick. Suckkkkkkkk Dickkkkkkkk.

hell yeah they do.

i dont know about the hour but i know the clock work can barspin with a 700 but i think all windsors can.

Ugh... this is not TrickTrack

edit; The Hour is just a super solid bike overall though, once you replace the pedals for something more usable, the bike is perfect. I have some extra shit on mine, velocity wheels front and back, front brake, MKS pedals with soma double straps. The bike comes pretty good stock though

oh it is now. its just fun to do tricks sometimes. i like mixing it up with polo and mashing. mostly mashing before rush hour.

yeah, i feel you. When I first got mine I tried keos foreverrr. All I can really do is pedal backwards for like one circle, pop it up then go straight, haha. Also got leg over skids like a fool : B)

thanks loon for the information, I was sort of weary of them. And we do have something like but the people are just dicks, but that was my 2nd option, so this friday thats probably where I'll be. Last time I went I just asked for a frame and they freaked out and got all mad, you have to build a bike for them to give you stuff, unless you're a yuppy then they give you everything.

i recently got keos. im trying to build a new bike with track geometry. my conversion is fun but everything seems so much easier on a tighter bike. for a while i kept crushing my nuts with the no handed skids but i have learned and they are safe. i just learned over the handle bar too but its still pretty sloppy. i really hope my dp18's come in. this free wheel isnt as much fun.

edit: just go there. deal with their elitist attitude. its a free bike, just have them help you build a single speed so you can just get a wheel set and just convert it without the hassle and you might luck out and not have to get a new chain.

pig, get an hour. Loon you should msg me on aim so we dont destroy skate perceptions bandwidth

picked up some araya golds, some vintage sugino cranks, and one non-NJS addition, some nitto risers in silver. Just need saddle, and hubs and Im done

cult: i do not have aim

tunaboat: how much has your build run so far, if you don't mind me asking?

I've been looking at parts for my build and never realized how much its going to cost me. I already have a wheelset coming in so I can't back out now. I might have been better off building a Mission or something. At any rate, this bike is going to be so tight.

Man, no one has posted up their bike in a while.

tunaboat: how much has your build run so far, if you don't mind me asking?

I've kinda been constantly evolving my bike since I first started riding 4 years ago. I've never really had a point where I officially started and finished my current setup, and I probably will never have it "finished" since I'm always changing and trading parts, so I guess I lied by saying I'll be done after those next few parts. If I had to taly up what I've spent so far on njs stuff, im probably only up to around 1000. I've gotten a lot of amazing deals and traded a lot of stuff... It just took riding some super janky stuff sometimes while waiting for a come up on something better, but it's finally getting to the point where Im super hyped on the whole bike.

i like how everybody with a fixie is a hipster or wants to be a bike messenger. are people really sanding their shoes? im in denver so these sweet trends dont hit us for another three months. if this is true, i better get my sand on.

anyone know of somebody thats tried the eight inch scrambler frame? im thinking of testing it out, if it sucks, ill always have my parts to put on another bike.

Going to sell my current wheelset and SG 75s and with that money I am going to buy Sram Omniums and then get some other wheels. Not sure what yet.

dang that windsor hour in matte grey looks good..

between my roommate and i weve got 5 bikes in our kitchen already though..

and ive already got a great commuter.. its tempting though

You hipsters have fun with your fixed gear trends...

you know... people were riding these before the "trend" and people will continue to ride them after and you don't have to be a hipster to do so.

i like how everybody with a fixie is a hipster or wants to be a bike messenger. are people really sanding their shoes? im in denver so these sweet trends dont hit us for another three months. if this is true, i better get my sand on.

ummm, the band-wagon came through long ago, take a ride through capital hill.

I was at the bike shop last week and a guy picked up an awesome looking Samson frame and a ton of NJS. Dura Ace to OpenPros, MKS RX1 w/ MKS NJS Doubles, SG 75s. Kid has money.

IMG_8547.jpg