SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
Jon Rogers

The Bicycle Thread

Can somebody explain to me why riding fixed is better then say, a ten speed? I know that riding fixed is good to improve your pedaling technique and everything, but i know thats not why everybody and their mother rides them.

So all trendiness and nostalgia aside, i would like to hear from you guys.

Oh, and if i sound like im trying to be an ignorant asshole thats not how im trying to sound. Ive been working on 10 speeds for a while now and im kind of curious about fixed gears.

The short answer: they're not. A ten speed in itself is way more practical than a fixed gear. The only real advantage to riding fixed is simplicity and ease of maintenance, but that argument is pretty much void as soon as you mention a single speed.

To be fair, riding fixed is fun, but I can't see myself doing ANY sort of distance fixed. It's stupid. I work in a bike shop, and get people in on an almost daily basis asking for fixed wheels, only to have us install it on some piece of shit 80's road frame with equally shitty parts on it, and they all ride brakeless, with no foot retention whatsoever. It's fucking dangerous having streets full of dumbasses trying to fit in that can't ride a fixed gear, and don't even have a bike that's equipped to ride it properly. Want to ride fixed? Cool. But for the love of god, buy some cages and straps for 20 bucks and run a front brake until you're absolutely sure you know what you're doing.

I dont want to ride fixed. I was just curious why everyone liked them so much more, and if there was really anything behind the trend.

n648093766_3126308_1857115.jpg

Brought this yesterday, carbon forks and seat post :wub:. Top tube protector thing has been removed, so have the bars for some crappy risers. Need a new stem, bars and seat.

Also need a fixed cog, single speed at the moment, but it's a flip flop hub so i will get one soon.

I like riding fixed because it's such a constant workout and you gain a greater sense of accomplishment after a long ride. I'm running a 49/16 on my bike right now and it's fucking brutal compared to usually running 39/16, i love it. My legs are going to be fucking gnarly.

DominiquePartin-1.jpg

Stupid idea to put a brooks on a bike made to ride in the rain. Leather saddle + water = bad.

Hvx Lover, you might think tricks are dumb, but bar spins are a lot of fun. I think it is a waste of a bike when you make it just for tricks, with bmx risers, cranks, and pedals like the gaggot on the last page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOyZzTZNkp8

In that video blahblah claims to have been riding a bike for 8 months and only went on a ride once, he has only done tricks for 8 months.

That is just one reason the "fixie fad" should die right now.

alright guys, i've got a decision to make. my friends just sold me a giant ocr3 which needs new tires and a tune up and shit, but other than that seems pretty good. he's asking for 200 and he'll pay for all the repairs on top of that. now i have the choice take the giant or maybe find a fixed gear on ebay and spend around 300. personally, i'd love to find the exact fixie that nikovision got, because i love that bike, but i don't think that'll happen, so i might get on of those ones from crosslakesales. what does you guys think i should do?

edit: i'm trying to keep in account how much it will cost to repair and maintain the giant with all the gears and shit. it kinda of seems logical to me to get a fixie seeing that theres one speed and thats a little easier to maintain, but maybe i'm wrong.

its like an 02 or 03 and as for components, i have no idea what your saying. i'm pretty sure everything on the bike is stock if thats along the lines that your talking about.

Just checked and it has pretty shitty components. I'd probably just get a Kilo TT from bikesdirect if you plan to just use it to commute.

Stupid idea to put a brooks on a bike made to ride in the rain. Leather saddle + water = bad.

i don't think that's a brooks, which means it could be some sort of synthetic material.

i have a b17, but i'm never worried about it getting wet. i've got this saddlebag which blocks the underside from getting wet

zippside.jpg

and also a seat cover just in case

That's a Brooks on that Surly for sure. And he does have a fender on there so it wouldn't get drenched from underneath and he would obviously be covering more than 90% of it with his body when he's riding. Brooks in rain isn't too big of a deal if treated properly.

i don't think that's a brooks, which means it could be some sort of synthetic material.

i have a b17, but i'm never worried about it getting wet. i've got this saddlebag which blocks the underside from getting wet

zippside.jpg

and also a seat cover just in case

the water would help mould the leather if it was new,

provided you slap a layer of polish on now and again, and treat the underside with something it would be fine. (i use beeswax - nice thick coat for waterproofing, buff it into the leather a bit and seal it with a thick layer)

anyone got any ideas of some good toe clips/toe straps? saw some a few pages back that i thought were pretty nice,

ive got a fair bit of spare money and am fed up with wank plastic ones.

ideas?

I don't see the point in toe clips, I mean I am not an experienced rider at all but before I was running at a pretty high gear and was able to slow down and control the bike still with ease..

not really about control, its just within my immediate area there are quite a few small-medium hills. its good to have feet clipped in to not waste any energy faffing around trying to keep feet on the pedals.

its mainly personal preference though.

No foot retention is a really stupid idea if you are riding fixed, especially if you are riding brakeless.

not a fan of those. had to wear specific shoes(vans classics/slips) to ride with them comfortably. my feet didnt feel as secure as they are with toe cages.

i have some cheap mks cages and some leather straps that ran me 25 or so.

Straps or Toe Cages are important to me. Riding up hills without them sucks...I mean you can push and pull to improve your pedaling which isnt possible without them.

Also I'm kind of scared of losing the pedals at high speed which could result in the pedals slamming in the back of my feet.

As for the dude who asked about the idea behind fixed gear riding or why everyone is doing it...to me its like this:

Regular biking feels like pushing down a street on a board, where you let it roll here and there and push again. Riding fixed feels more like pushing (pumping not pushing with the feet) through a bowl round and round again. It has more of a flow to it, try it.

take it from me, it fucking sucks.

Depends on how good you do on a bike. I love riding up hills.

I also love riding up hills. I feel like i am able to tackle hills on a fixed gear just as well as on a geared bike. i'm a nordic skier though so going up hills is not something new for me