SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
Jon Rogers

The Bicycle Thread

i didint know this thread was even here

every since i got my car taken away ive been riding everywhere

here are some pics from the alley catz race i won last week.

at the check points you had to take pics of your bike and the spoke card at every stop. i only had 2 pics that i took but here they are.

securedownload-4.jpg

securedownload-2-1.jpg

i got a set of miche pistard wr's today :angry:

atm running brakeless with 42/15, dont want to fuck up the rims cos they arent machined.

still find it quite hard to skid/stop at short distance with a 42 :S

using 170mm cranks though, im gonna get 13 on the rear of the miches and run 49/13 for my track build.

anyone here have a track specific bike, if so:

do you actually have/use 165mm cranks

what ratio do you ride

48-15

im going to build up a gt-b i think and when i do that ill get a 44 chainring and run 44-15

Doing Lord of Griffith race? I'll be there on a TK2.

wait....am i on skatperception.com?

ya man you actually are! Thats so original to post in here with a comment like that!! should we all just go to fixieperception.com? It's okay to have more than one hobby

Doing Lord of Griffith race? I'll be there on a TK2.

im too beat to do lords of griffith. i live like 2 blocks away but with the heat those 3 mile climbs are not in my favor

really need to sort myself out and get a commuting bike. Have been riding my track bike on the roads brakeless for quite some time now :S

london traffic is pretty mad, so i need to get a bike which can get knocked about quite a bit. Stick some nifty little bars on it.

also need to be able to stop quite confidently using just the fixed wheel, i was thinking 42/13? what ratio do others who 'skid' lots ride?

really need to sort myself out and get a commuting bike. Have been riding my track bike on the roads brakeless for quite some time now :S

london traffic is pretty mad, so i need to get a bike which can get knocked about quite a bit. Stick some nifty little bars on it.

also need to be able to stop quite confidently using just the fixed wheel, i was thinking 42/13? what ratio do others who 'skid' lots ride?

The gear inches is quite big for 42/13, i read somewhere the gear inches needs to be in the 70's to be able to skid stop easily.

i ride 48-15 and i commute like 30 or so miles a day and can skid on a dime :angry:

in los angeles we have a lot of traffic too. also a lot of people trying to deliberately piss you off.

road drops ftw

i hate seeing people ride track drops on the street

only because 95% of the time they are riding the tops with their hands touching the stem. it looks so goddamn stupid. if you want to ride tops, get road drops

plus, riding track drop tops makes it harder to breath properly (the diaphragm is compressed)

Yeah i can't stand when people ride drops like flat bars. its god damned pointless. some people even go so far as to put bar tape only on the top near the stem. so ridiculous. I'm really used to riding with my hands on the brake hoods of road drops, its the most comfortable position for me so i put some old road drops from a vintage schwinn with the brake levers/hoods still on it. So much better than the flat bars that were on the bike when i bought it.

Mine and the little man's bike. So hyped to find such a rad road bike that small.

3934748549_38281181b5_o.jpg

yo, what kind of bike is that small one, i need a bike and im fairly short. 5'5.

only because 95% of the time they are riding the tops with their hands touching the stem

Yeah i can't stand when people ride drops like flat bars.

While I do agree there's a fixed gear fascination with what you're pointing out, on long rides it's nice to switch around and be able to ride in different positions

true, but track drops aren't meant to be ridden on the tops

and people dish out tons of $$$ on track drops when nicer road drops can be found cheaper

idk, i guess i just just hate hands to stem...it's on the same level as nuts to stem in my opinion

may as well be riding these

Picture1-4.png

Road drops + hoods > track drops > bullhorns > risers > flat bars

Got a new chain, seat, and bar tape. Ready to be hanged on my wall now.

3941227961_de9d273537_o.jpg

Nothing better than breaking your neck watching for traffic in the drops.

seriously expecially long distance. idk why you wouldnt ride on the top of the drops when your in traffic.

the samson is soooo nice. you should ride that and not hang it :angry:

Yeah i can't stand when people ride drops like flat bars. its god damned pointless. some people even go so far as to put bar tape only on the top near the stem. so ridiculous. I'm really used to riding with my hands on the brake hoods of road drops, its the most comfortable position for me so i put some old road drops from a vintage schwinn with the brake levers/hoods still on it. So much better than the flat bars that were on the bike when i bought it.

i assume everyone is talking about Risers when they say "stright bars"

and its different if your ridding fixed and dont have brakes... if your mashing in traffic and keeping a steady pace of like 25 and someone pulls out infront of you and you have to skid really fast good luck while your dropped. most likely a good majority of the people on here arent riding far on a daily basis. if your riding really far and are dropped the whole time then your back and neck are going to start to ache.

i ride road drops from the 60's with track drop grips. its not pointless if your dropped.....

I'm using track drops but only because the were 15 bucks second hand. I admit to using the tops on them but if you are carrying something in one hand or something it sucks not holding the tops