SkatePerception
baphoto

Manual Settings

im a beginner and no crap all about cameras all i know is using the manual settings is the best for skating and there are just some question i have on manual settings...

1. What are some manual settings? eg. shutter speed, white balance(the only 2 i now)

2. What do these manual settings do? eg. what does white balance do?

3. How do we use these settings when skating?

thanks in advance and im sure that this would also help out beginner camera people like me.

1. What are some manual settings? eg. shutter speed, white balance(the only 2 i now)

Add exposure/aperature to the list. I suppose you could consider the ND filter, which is essentially sunglasses for your camera, and auto focus on/off a manual setting.

2. What do these manual settings do? eg. what does white balance do?

White balance tells the camera what colour white is. Remember that white is made up of all other colours mixed together, so once you get white "correct", everything else falls into place. A sheet of white A4 paper or light grey paint cards from a DIY store give the best results. I'll always set the manual white balance first and then see if the daylight or artificial light presets look better; the artificial preset usually works best for me at night with a generator and lights as the light looks more natural and white, compared to an obvious yellow. Try white balancing outdoors off different colours; doing it off a clear blue sky gives a yellow/warm tint to the footage. The white balance function is the singularly most important feature on your camera.

Shutter speed controls the rate at which light and images enter the lens. A faster shutter speed like 1/215 or more will give sharp, crisp images when you pause or slow-mo footage. It also means that the image is darker. A slower shutter speed of about 1/50 or less tends to blur the footage a lot as it's open for longer, allowing more light in. A shutter speed of 1/3 sec gives those long traffic light trail effects at night.

Aperature is like the pupil of your eye - it controls the amount of light entering the camera. A narrow aperature of f11 or f9 doesn't allow much light in, so you'll need a lower shutter speed. It also gives a large depth of field which is the amount of the image in sharp focus. Conversely, a wide aperature of about f2 lets in a lot of light and means you can have a higher shutter speed. It also gives a narrow depth of field which means that only a small amount of the image will be in sharp focus.

Exposure, as I understand it, is a digital effect which brightens the footage once you've opened the aperature as much as possible and so results in grainy, ugly footage.

The ND filter will darken your footage if there's a lot of reflected light and glare from a pond, windows or other shiny surfaces.

I always turn the focus to manual, always. It means that the cam won't suddenly blur at the critical moment when something comes into view between you and the subject. Zoom right in on the subject beforehand and focus manually on a complex pattern or text to get it right and then zoom out. Your shot is now focussed. With a fisheye you obviously can't zoom in, but the method is the same.

3. How do we use these settings when skating?

Hmmm, well try to set the shutter speed to at least 1/215 during the day, or sports mode if your cam can't do it. Set the aperature to compliment it and to get the image as natural looking as possible. At night it'll take a lot of fiddling. Always see how the manual white balance turns out before using a preset.

for the vx1k you can have the aperature and the shutter speed at the same time?

yes.

is there an Aperature opion on the Zr's

no, there is just the exposure setting but it does the same thing

Do any of you use the Expodisc for white balance? If not, you shuold check it out. Great little tool.

70 DOLLARS!!!!! So expensive for so little.

shit, that helps soo much.

but, i still cant find the aperature on my vx1k, im guessing it might not be on there.

oh, and what record level should i have it on?

and what is program?

i got my cam for christmas and am trying to figure out how to use it.

thanks

By record level, I think he means audio level. I think it sounds really good left on auto, at least for skating. Otherwise get some headphones and figure out what sounds the best when you are shooting.

shit, that helps soo much.

but, i still cant find the aperature on my vx1k, im guessing it might not be on there.

and what is program?

i got my cam for christmas and am trying to figure out how to use it.

thanks

on the vx's they call the aperture/iris wheel the'exposure' wheel. set the shutter speed, then press the exposure button and set the aperture.

I use a VX-1000 with a mk1.

How do I must setting my camera when I skate in a indoor skatepark ? It's neons that they have in this skatepark. And on second floor, it's spots.

Normally I set my cam on AWB (auto-white-balance) with a shutter speed at 1/100 or 1/125. Sometimes I set manually my white balance and I use the same shutter speed, 1/100 or 1/125.

I don't no if it settings are correct. I want to know your opinion.

Thanks ahead of time.

Later

nice tutorial

I'm pretty sure if you just white balance off white it will look fine even with wierd lights.

I got some more questions: what is the colour phase? what is the zebra-patt? and I did not figure out yet what are the shutter, the diaphragm and the gain and what are their role and how do I have to set them on my XM1 :)

xm1 is the pal version of the gl1 right ? if so to set the shutter push in that lil wheel near our lcd the 1st click is shutter speed second is exposure and 3rd is gain gain will digitaly brighten your shoot its good for when it just starts to get dark but wont do that much u should get a light if you dont have one

You should try to set it high, like 1/1000th if that looks usable (never had a camera that went up that high so I wouldn't know), because if you use slow shutter speeds the colors will fuck up on slow moes sometimes.

i just got a japanese vx1k for christmas and i can't figure out where the aperature and shutter speed buttons are. i know where white balance is, and exposure (im not really sure how to use that), but i don't know where those two are.

i actualy just realized i don't know how to focus it manually either, is there a button for that?

if its in the menu then im pretty much screwed unless i know how far down it is, because i don't speak japanese at all

ok that's it...probably mostly obvious things, but yeah....work your magic? haha

i just got a japanese vx1k for christmas and i can't figure out where the aperature and shutter speed buttons are. i know where white balance is, and exposure (im not really sure how to use that), but i don't know where those two are.

i actualy just realized i don't know how to focus it manually either, is there a button for that?

if its in the menu then im pretty much screwed unless i know how far down it is, because i don't speak japanese at all

ok that's it...probably mostly obvious things, but yeah....work your magic? haha

The shutter speed is to the left of the white balance.

and to maually focus it, push this down..

SONY_VX1000_02.jpg

also this might help you..

mavica.jpg