SkatePerception
baphoto

Manual Settings

ok so i have a vx1k and the lower the shutter the better correct? bc i usually put it on 100 as the shutter speed is that good?

No, the lower shutter speed is not better, especially for shooting action/skateboarding. If you are filming during a clear, sunny day, 1/250th is considered the optimal shutter speed for skateboarding, but you can adjust your shutter speed to whatever you see fit. Just remember that if your shutter is too slow, then you will have motion blur if you try to slow-motion the footage. Also, do not set your shutter much higher than 1/250th, you will start to see a lot of grain on your footage if you do.

You should try to set it high, like 1/1000th if that looks usable (never had a camera that went up that high so I wouldn't know), because if you use slow shutter speeds the colors will fuck up on slow moes sometimes.

PLEASE, do not do this. Using 1/1000th causes massive amount of grain on your footage.

grain from using a high shutterspeed??? you've got to be kidding me. and since when is 1/250 the optimal shutterspeed for skateboarding? Day time footage with optimal sunlight should be at least 1/500th and probably higher than that.

turn on zebra stripes to see what parts of the shot are over exposed, if you see lines, its over exposed

True that. It's good to always use zebra stripes if your camera has them. I always up the exposure 'til the stripes show up, then go one stop below that.

I got some more questions: what is the colour phase? what is the zebra-patt? and I did not figure out yet what are the shutter, the diaphragm and the gain and what are their role and how do I have to set them on my XM1 :D

im pretty sure a diaphragm is a female condom

grain from using a high shutterspeed??? you've got to be kidding me. and since when is 1/250 the optimal shutterspeed for skateboarding? Day time footage with optimal sunlight should be at least 1/500th and probably higher than that.

wooooooow, do u have a vx1k urself? if so, y dont u go film somthin on a high shutter then do the same for a slow... the lower the shutter the less grain, lets more light in the cam to overpower the grain. trust me, i thought that was a given. ive tested myself.

exposure: if its sunny with no overcast, set ur shutter accordingly then ajust the exposure either exact or 1 stop above! if overcast do 1 stop under or else ull get that foggy hazey like brightness to ur footage.

always use ur custom presets cus its mo betta that way! halla

nice tutorial.. i wanted to know how to have a narrow DOF :D

they make everything look real cool!!! i love gnar colors!!!

This is the most helpful topic yet!! Thanks so much I thought my camera was just basic and crap but until I seen this and set white balance and shutter speed its brillant the colours you can get!!

• Like 1

wait what do u use to set the white balance can u just point it at anything white???

wait what do u use to set the white balance can u just point it at anything white???

depends what colors you want. if you white balance off of something blue like the sky then u get that golden tint color and if u white balance off white u get that nice clean white color, ect.

EDIT: 500th post

depends what colors you want. if you white balance off of something blue like the sky then u get that golden tint color and if u white balance off white u get that nice clean white color, ect.

i have a vx2100 and i have almost everything down besides the white balance do i use the symbol of a sun when im filming outside? but when do i know when to set it myself like when i point it at something white

also what do you suggest i do ? like can u you explain white balancing a little better cause im having trouble learning how to set it.....thanks

so u should u even bother with exposure if its just gonna result in grainy ugly footage? and could u explain the ND filter just a little bit more please.

im in school so ill be quick.make sure you set your white balance a few different times unless your colors look good everywhere your filming. also dont set your wb through the lcd screen (if you have one) always set through the viewfinder because the sun can bounce off the screen making the colors look different then they are and when you put it on your computer they will look different.

basically the colour you whitebalance off gives you a tint of the colour on the opposite side of the colour wheel.

i have a vx2100 and i have almost everything down besides the white balance do i use the symbol of a sun when im filming outside? but when do i know when to set it myself like when i point it at something white

no. only use the sun if you dont have time to set your white balance. you should use the custom whitebalance. (looks kind of like a flower at least on a vx1000). you should use the custom white balance all the time.

i film snow sports, and i think that i have set my gl2 for pretty damn good settings, but was wondering if anyone else with a gl2 would care to share there setting with me so i can perfect mine

thanks for the help