SkatePerception
baphoto

Manual Settings

wait what do u use to set the white balance can u just point it at anything white???

Sort of. It doesn't have to be white however, you can use warm cards (or print them out). Its just a light blue that will warm up your footage considerably. Just make sure when you do that what you are setting it off of is a uniform color and make it out of focus, its just easier for the camera, and you will get a better result.

hey i got a quick little question...if its a sunny no cloud or very little cloud day, what do you set your iris too?? im still a little confused on what the iris does exactly...thanks, if you can help!

hey i got a quick little question...if its a sunny no cloud or very little cloud day, what do you set your iris too?? im still a little confused on what the iris does exactly...thanks, if you can help!

Iris is aperture. It pretty much dictates (along with shutter speed) how much light gets into the frame. I mean, it's not really something where you can say "oh, set it to ____ on a sunny day or ___ on a rainy day", you know? Also, you have to keep in mind that the lower the iris number the shallower the depth of field. I like to keep mine open usually because I like to have a shallow depth of field for a cinematic look. This means I'll keep my shutter speed up and maybe turn on an ND filter if its sunny out.

is there any order on how you should set you're settings?

White balance last. You're not supposed to white balance with an overexposed image. I'd say shutter speed, aperture, white balance. But, depends on what you want to have priority. If you really want a wide aperture I'd set that first, if you really want a fast shutter speed, set that first. White balance last though.

depends what colors you want. if you white balance off of something blue like the sky then u get that golden tint color and if u white balance off white u get that nice clean white color, ect.

EDIT: 500th post

is it better to white balance off blue? ive never heard of that..

oh, and what record level should i have it on?

your audio recording level varies depending on what your're shooting. just check out what the levels are doing when you're shooting or getting ready to shoot, or maybe shoot a test trick or line when you turn your camera on. the audio bars should peak at around the 12 mark (for -12 decibels). that should give you some wiggle room with the audio. if the bars reach the top of the meter, then you'll get clipping, which is really awful sounding distorted audio.

Damn, this really helped me out, thanks.

This made me find out that my shutter speed was set to something stupidly low like 1/50 so thanks

Very helpful

I use a trv950 and i was wondering about exposure. This is how i manually set up my camera.

1.Shutter speed

2.White balance

Now everyone on here tells me its important to use exposure but it seems to be maxed out to the + side after setting the white balance and if i move it down towards the - side it just gets grainy and dark. So whats the deal? I dont believe i have aperture either on my camera.

Thats a common problem with camera's the don't use the f-stop display, you're still controlling aperture, but it's just dumbed down.

Alright so I've run into a problem, I recently purchased a TRV-900 and have been trying things out by messing around with the manual settings. Today I went to the skate park and come night time the lights at the skate park turned on (about 15 surrounding the park lighting everything up, usual setup) and even when the camera isn't pointed at any of the lights directly there is a green glare that comes from each light that fucks up the footage, I'm almost sure it's the exposure but I don't know what to set the exposure to so it'll let in just the right amount of light without the green glare and grainy look. Help appreciated, thanks.

This is a GREAT thread. I've been lurking around as a guest for a couples weeks and just found it. So for my question (pretty easy) :

For A VX1000

I'm starting to understand all the settings here now, exposure, shutter, apperture, and all that jazz. My question is, How do i set these and HOLD them?

I hit the Program button which brings up, i'm assuming, the apperture setting first. So i set that at like 3.4 i think. Then hit the button agian bringing up the shutter speed? i set that and hit the button one more time and a little moon symbol comes up. Don't know what that means. But then if i start the process over again to check em, its all back to the lowest settings. like f1.2 and shutter bcak down to 60... why is this?

Thank,

Steve

This is a GREAT thread. I've been lurking around as a guest for a couples weeks and just found it. So for my question (pretty easy) :

For A VX1000

I'm starting to understand all the settings here now, exposure, shutter, apperture, and all that jazz. My question is, How do i set these and HOLD them?

I hit the Program button which brings up, i'm assuming, the apperture setting first. So i set that at like 3.4 i think. Then hit the button agian bringing up the shutter speed? i set that and hit the button one more time and a little moon symbol comes up. Don't know what that means. But then if i start the process over again to check em, its all back to the lowest settings. like f1.2 and shutter bcak down to 60... why is this?

Thank,

Steve

The "moon" symbol means night mode. The program cycles different presets. If you wanna manually set the settings set the program to the "clock" symbol. And if you hold it, it'll hold until you take out the battery. Which resets the vx

What do you guys suggest for the manual settings on a vx2?

You're gonna wanna set the white balance, shutter speed, exposure, and you're going to want to adjust the custom presets.

I'm gonna go ahead and explain this to you like you don't know anything.. Cause i don't know what you know

White balance: What you're gonna wanna move the wheel on the back of the camera until it's on the "flower" and then find something white and fill the entire screen (or the majority of it) with the white color and hit the "wb" button on the back of the camera.

Shutter Speed: For a sunny day or any day reall i usually keep it at 350, and when it starts getting dark move it down until the image looks proper. The lowest you wanna go is about 125 because if you go lower than that for skating then you get a stroby kinda look.

Exposure: You hit the exposure on the side of the camera (silver button next to the + - wheel) this turns on manual exposure and you move the wheel up to make the image brighter, or down to make it darker. Just mess with it until it looks good to you. If you're second guessing yourself then you can go into the menu and turn on zebra. This will fill any over exposed areas with "zebra stripes" this is good if you're adjusting your exposure on a bright day or something like that.

Custom Presets: I usually only mess with two things

White balance shift: You'll hear people on here telling you to white balance off blue to get warm colors, but really you can just adjust the white balance shift to achieve "warm" or "cool" colors. But what this does is alters the white balance to be either warmer or darker than your already established white balance. If you've white balanced off pure white, then moving it to the right will make the image warmer and to the left will make it cooler.

Color Level: This adjusts the color saturation of the image, i can't remember which direction makes it more saturated and less saturated. But it should be pretty apparent to you.

That's usually what i do man, hopefully this helps.

You're gonna wanna set the white balance, shutter speed, exposure, and you're going to want to adjust the custom presets.

I'm gonna go ahead and explain this to you like you don't know anything.. Cause i don't know what you know

White balance: What you're gonna wanna move the wheel on the back of the camera until it's on the "flower" and then find something white and fill the entire screen (or the majority of it) with the white color and hit the "wb" button on the back of the camera.

Shutter Speed: For a sunny day or any day reall i usually keep it at 350, and when it starts getting dark move it down until the image looks proper. The lowest you wanna go is about 125 because if you go lower than that for skating then you get a stroby kinda look.

Exposure: You hit the exposure on the side of the camera (silver button next to the + - wheel) this turns on manual exposure and you move the wheel up to make the image brighter, or down to make it darker. Just mess with it until it looks good to you. If you're second guessing yourself then you can go into the menu and turn on zebra. This will fill any over exposed areas with "zebra stripes" this is good if you're adjusting your exposure on a bright day or something like that.

White balance shift: You'll hear people on here telling you to white balance off blue to get warm colors, but really you can just adjust the white balance shift to achieve "warm" or "cool" colors. But what this does is alters the white balance to be either warmer or darker than your already established white balance. If you've white balanced off pure white, then moving it to the right will make the image warmer and to the left will make it cooler.

Color Level: This adjusts the color saturation of the image, i can't remember which direction makes it more saturated and less saturated. But it should be pretty apparent to you.

That sounds very helpful and i'm sure it is considering, I don't have a vx2000. But does this also apply to a vx1000?

That sounds very helpful and i'm sure it is considering, I don't have a vx2000. But does this also apply to a vx1000?

This applies to all cameras

Thanks a lot man. Custom Presets information really helped me out.

Thanks a lot man. Custom Presets information really helped me out.

You should also adjust the sharpness level. I keep it a little more than halfway up most of the time, but mess with it to suit your preference.