SkatePerception
baphoto

Manual Settings

why when i try set my shutter speed is it not in numbers like for example 500 or 60 it iss in decimal numbers just like when i set my exposure ?? sorry bout nooby question im new to the vx 1k

alos what should i set my record level to (sound level) for liines and what shud i set it to for single tricks . and if so how do you set the recorsd level to auto ? thanks

If you have a vx1000 then just leave it at the auto setting, it's fine the way it is

1. What are some manual settings? eg. shutter speed, white balance(the only 2 i now)

Add exposure/aperature to the list. I suppose you could consider the ND filter, which is essentially sunglasses for your camera, and auto focus on/off a manual setting.

2. What do these manual settings do? eg. what does white balance do?

White balance tells the camera what colour white is. Remember that white is made up of all other colours mixed together, so once you get white "correct", everything else falls into place. A sheet of white A4 paper or light grey paint cards from a DIY store give the best results. I'll always set the manual white balance first and then see if the daylight or artificial light presets look better; the artificial preset usually works best for me at night with a generator and lights as the light looks more natural and white, compared to an obvious yellow. Try white balancing outdoors off different colours; doing it off a clear blue sky gives a yellow/warm tint to the footage. The white balance function is the singularly most important feature on your camera.

Shutter speed controls the rate at which light and images enter the lens. A faster shutter speed like 1/215 or more will give sharp, crisp images when you pause or slow-mo footage. It also means that the image is darker. A slower shutter speed of about 1/50 or less tends to blur the footage a lot as it's open for longer, allowing more light in. A shutter speed of 1/3 sec gives those long traffic light trail effects at night.

Aperature is like the pupil of your eye - it controls the amount of light entering the camera. A narrow aperature of f11 or f9 doesn't allow much light in, so you'll need a lower shutter speed. It also gives a large depth of field which is the amount of the image in sharp focus. Conversely, a wide aperature of about f2 lets in a lot of light and means you can have a higher shutter speed. It also gives a narrow depth of field which means that only a small amount of the image will be in sharp focus.

Exposure, as I understand it, is a digital effect which brightens the footage once you've opened the aperature as much as possible and so results in grainy, ugly footage.

The ND filter will darken your footage if there's a lot of reflected light and glare from a pond, windows or other shiny surfaces.

I always turn the focus to manual, always. It means that the cam won't suddenly blur at the critical moment when something comes into view between you and the subject. Zoom right in on the subject beforehand and focus manually on a complex pattern or text to get it right and then zoom out. Your shot is now focussed. With a fisheye you obviously can't zoom in, but the method is the same.

3. How do we use these settings when skating?

Hmmm, well try to set the shutter speed to at least 1/215 during the day, or sports mode if your cam can't do it. Set the aperature to compliment it and to get the image as natural looking as possible. At night it'll take a lot of fiddling. Always see how the manual white balance turns out before using a preset.

I thought you weren't supposed to use manual focus when filming long lens because it would become out of focus when zooming?

I have a vx2k and this is how I set everything

White Balance- i'll find something white and press the white balance button to get the colors right, then if i'm outside i'll set the color balance to sun mode, which will give you a reddish tone that looks better outside

Shutter Speed- I don't like to leave the shutter speed at 60, i think it looks better if I set anywhere from 125-250 depending how bright it is. Just make sure that you don't bring the shutter speed up so high that you will have to pump up the exposure

Exposure- I almost never leave the exposure on auto, unless im filming a line where there are different amounts of sunlight in different places. I will put it on auto and zoom the camera into the place where I think the lighting is best represented, then i'll take it off of auto and make it stay at the exposure that I set. I don't like the look where suddenly the shot gets darker when you pan over to a lighter place. Also it looks bed if this happens when your filming a line and the sun is behind the skater and the skater will become a silloughette.

Custom Presets- I use custom presets to manualy change the colors, sharpness, color level and some other things. For the color level I will turn that all the way to the top or one notch from the top. I will never turn the sharpness above the middle level because I will bring down the quality. Sometimes I'll turn the sharpness down as well for some long lens shots. i leave it in the middle for fisheye stuff. Teh last thing is the AE SHIFT what that does is it manually brings the exposure level in the whole camera up or down. I will usually bring the level down a little because I think that the levels on the camera are a little bright.