SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
Brenderson

5 Applications To Get The Best Performance Out Of Your Mac

These are some of the apps I use to get the best performace out of my mac

5 Applications to get the best performance out of your mac.

1. smcFanControl

smcFanControl lets you manually control your fans in your macbook. This can come in handy when you feel your mac is working too hard and is heating up, but the fans arent automatically kickin in. It is bad for your mac when it gets too hot and it is good to keep it at a rather cool temp probably around 50-60 degrees celcius (125-140 farenhiet).

Download

2. Mpeg Streamclip

Now I'm sure most of you have heard about MPEG Streamclip, but if you dont know what it is here ya go. MPEG Streamclip is a program that is in some respects another quicktime player. But with MPEG Streamclip it is great because you can open .flv and .mpeg files, which quicktime cannot (unless you are using a plugin). After you open your video/audio files you can then export them in many different formats or in your own custom settings. Another great feature of MPEG Streamclip is that you can go into "File > Open URL" and you can open videos from the internet (yes even youtube videos).

Download

3. Time Out

Everyone needs a break every once in a while. If you are like me then you get very involved in what you are doing on your computer, and when you look at the clock, the time flies by really fast. Well it's not very good for you (or your computer) to be working hard for hours on end without breaks. Time Out is a program that reminds you that you need a break, and allows you to set how long you want the breaks to be, and how long you want in between breaks. Now of course you can skip the breaks if you dont want to take them, but I find this app very helpful because I am always losing track of how long I've been running my computer, and I feel it's good for you and your computer to take a break once in a while.

Download

4. Battery Health Monitor

Battery Health Monitor doesn't really help the performance of your mac, I just like it because it's a simple program that lets you know everything about your battery. It tells you the Original and Current capacity of the battery, the current charge, and the number of cycles your battery has gone through. I like this because it just keeps me updated on how my battery is doing, and I get a basic idea of how much longer I can use the battery until it's dead and worthless.

Download

5. App Zapper

When you install an app on a mac, most of the time all you do is just drag it into your applications folder, but these apps install more files behind-the-scenes (including preferences, caches, and support files). When you want to get rid of an application, you have to go and find these behind-the-scenes files and i can be annoying to do. App Zapper searches your mac and finds all the files accociated with the application you want to get rid of and lets you get rid of them too. This helps a lot because your mac doesn't get as cluttered up and it can eventually save space on your internal drive.

Download

*Edit: Here's the name and code for the AppZapper program.

name: Cheesytoe

code: APZP-111-99-215-101

Alright, those are some apps I use to keep my macbook pro performing well and clean internally. If you have any that I didn't mention, just post them.

Thanks for reading.

Dude thank you so much! These apps help me so much, especially AppZapper. But the app is shareware, so you need to enter this as the name and code,

name: Cheesytoe

code: APZP-111-99-215-101

This guy described everything thoroughly and neatly and i think he definitely deserves a point or two.

Oh, im sorry that i failed to mention the appzapper code and name. Thanks for that and for the comment Aevrey B.

will the fan app work on a imac? i feel mine has been heating up alot and running slow lately.

I dl-ed it and it works, so yeah it should work for you. It'll say it's not tested on that machine, but it'll work. Again, make sure your iMac's temp is between 50 or 60 degrees Celsius.