SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
EasternExposure

Koyaanisqatsi

Directed by Godfrey Reggerio.. music by Phillip Glass...

I just watched this for the first time and wanted to share it here. I'm sure many have seen it. The filming alone is nothing short of amazing... I am at loss for words after seeing it to be honest.

avoid reading the description on youtube because I don't think its that simple, but definitely find a time to watch the whole thing.. it gets intense.

Koyaanisqatsi (Life out of Balance)

sort of ironic how there are advertisements in the middle, but that just goes to show..

They screened this in theaters a few months ago where I live. Watching it in theaters was pretty awesome. Philip Glass is the shit. I'd recommend getting real baked before watching. Yeah, cooooooooool, I know.

Such an awesome movie and the music is incredible as well. Surprised they put the entire thing like this up on youtube and it's pretty lame with those ads. The Pruit Igoe section is probably my favorite.

Saw this the other day, best film i've seen in a long time. Some parts make me anxious and stressed out though.

Fuck yes, this is one of the last movies I would expect anybody else on skateperception to have seen. Good stuff.

Yeah I certainly didn't expect a hyped up underground flick to be liked on this website, really weird.

On a different note, the sequel sucks, so i've never seen the 3rd part of the trilogy.

I just studied this at university in November, it's so amazing, and every single shot in it relates to all the others and is effectively the same thing represented in a different way...mind blowing!

It's a good movie to put on in the background if your just chilling with some people, talking and occasionally looking up at it. Also, get an album called 'Inside out' by 'Kuba' it's kind of psychedelic dub. Anyway I swear every track fits it perfectly.

I could never put any music over this since the Phillip Glass score is just amazingly everything that amazing is, Phillip Glass is a god to some. Anaconda what did your professor have to say about it?

MaxSpang that was a cool idea, haha

The Prof. loves it, it was the first film we studied on the course. I don't have my notes right now because I'm not at home but I can write a few up later if you want? It's stuff like every shot is to do with raw elements, wind, fire, water.

I too love it with the Phillip Glass music, but it's a little intense when you just trying to chill, like I said, the images are so calming just on they're own and it's kind of like a visualizer.

too me most of the images were the opposite of calming... for example, the shot of thousands of people on a small beach with a giant factory right behind them...

Think it really shows how we are putting our foot in the door to taking it all way too far...

This video contains content from mgm, who has decided to block it in your country.

+1 more for Venezuela!

Some of my notes:

Time lapse in the cities with the cars gives the city a pulse, creates a living organism driven by smaller organisms.

The music is made up from patterns not from sounds

The opening shots, although they're beautiful, they're terrifying, such vast expanses the human mind can't comprehend the size.

The elements change everything through time, rivers carve ditches, fire burns, wind errodes and earth over grows. The cliffs and water falls in the first part compare to the abandoned city where ivy and trees grow up and inside the buildings.

The time lapse clouds look like a flame with the setting sun in the background.

water in the waterfalls look like clouds and particles - everything is a particle- everything looks the same, there is a pattern in the way we imagine the world - Fibonacci sequence

Starts with the natural beauty of the world bu quickly move onto the human destruction.

The huge bomb gives out a dirty black cloud juxtaposed to the pure white of the natural clouds

The people sunbathing next to the nuclear plant, then cut to people looking up, we imagine them to be looking at the plant but the next shot is the camera/audience looking up at a giant sky scraper in the middle of a city.

I've lost the rest of my notes but will keep looking for them.

As for the people on the beach with the power plant or factory or what ever it is, i think its an amazing image, and i love the thought process of it even being there, like, who and when decided it'd be a fantastic idea to build it right there on the beach where there's going to be kids running around. It makes me think how selfish we are, the only reason I can imagine it to be there is it's cheaper for the waste to pour directly into the sea, it's all about money. Money over human health.

The film is extremely biased against humans though. One of the only things that gets to me about it, it's anything but a fair comparison. Imagine someone asking you to choose between two girls a fat chich with a lisp and a limp or a skinny blond in her underwear?

It makes me think how selfish we are, the only reason I can imagine it to be there is it's cheaper for the waste to pour directly into the sea, it's all about money. Money over human health.

yes.. I feel the same way about that shot.

I skipped to the part where they show the city and all the cars and the people, and it made me realize that I can't even comprehend visually the amount of people in one city, much less the rest of the world. And because of this, it makes it seem kind of weird that we can hold famous people on such a high pedestal, when the number of people out there is so mindfuckingly vast.

i watched this long before i was on SP

my freshman year geography teacher showed us, and it was one of the few videos in any class i actually stayed awake for

i need to watch it again soon

If you search, there's also a version of it on google video with no ads, although it is not as high quality as the youtube version.

yes.. I feel the same way about that shot.

You guys do realize nuclear reactors are often built near water to help with the cooling? They dont release any radioactive material out of the reactor into the ocean. It actually is a smart and water saving technique.

that may be true, and if it is good... but what he was saying about money over human health is definitely true for other a lot of things that go on. That shot is still crazy though, just the way it looks..

Yeah I certainly didn't expect a hyped up underground flick to be liked on this website, really weird.

This made me laugh.