SkatePerception

I was quite surprised to search this forum and not come across VLC at all, considering how much quicktime sucks. I never realized this until a few months ago when I noticed how much better the frame viewer in FCP looked than the canvas, and then the source file in quicktime, so I tried out VLC. I use it to play back all of my quicktime movies now, and it has far superior playback quality to FCP, except for ProRes 422 files which it cannot play back. Here's some test grabs that I just took today to show how much better it is. Shot in HDV on an XH A1. Mind you, these grabs are taken from a file that was compressed to about 7 percent of what the original ProRes 422 copy exported straight out of FCP was.

Screenshot2010-03-09at42443PM.png

Screenshot2010-03-09at42218PM.png

As you can see, quicktime player washes stuff out and in doing so, slightly desaturates it too. Also, watch out if you have a cheap twisted nematic display. TNs are known for having a very limited viewing angle, which could skew what you think you're looking at in this comparison.

yeah i just found out about this program the other day and it sick! stoked that i can record a dvd int a quicktime file and then put that on my iphone

yeah i just found out about this program the other day and it sick! stoked that i can record a dvd int a quicktime file and then put that on my iphone

yeah i do that with some skate videos on dvd that i own and put them on my ipod

No. As far as I know, quicktime pro does not exist anymore. Even so, I highly doubt it would make a difference.

Wait a min. Your saying FCP has nothing to do with this? just quicktime right?

Neither FCP nor quicktime have anything to do with it. I also did a test a while ago and VLC seems to be extremely accurate at showing what stuff will look like on vimeo.

Neither FCP nor quicktime have anything to do with it. I also did a test a while ago and VLC seems to be extremely accurate at showing what stuff will look like on vimeo.

In other words, VLC player has amazing quality.

VLC will also play cuh-razy video formats that quicktime won't, especially on Macs. I haven't seen many video formats that VLC can't play.

And there's a VLC iPhone app for free, fyi.