SkatePerception
.:tredays:.

Moving Timelapses

easiest/ most affordable way to do a moving or panning timelapse is to buy a motorized "tripod head" off ebay or craiglist, theyre made for telescopes and adjust a certain amount of degrees over time, only took me 5 minutes to make a ghetto camera mount. I did one at love park it moved 30 degrees over an hour, you couldnt even see the camera moving.. ill try and find the footy to post... but the result is amazing...

easiest/ most affordable way to do a moving or panning timelapse is to buy a motorized "tripod head" off ebay or craiglist, theyre made for telescopes and adjust a certain amount of degrees over time, only took me 5 minutes to make a ghetto camera mount. I did one at love park it moved 30 degrees over an hour, you couldnt even see the camera moving.. ill try and find the footy to post... but the result is amazing...

thanks man, pretty expensive still but thats a huge help thanks!

Quick question:

Say that I was just using a remote to snap a picture "about" every five seconds or so. Will the timelapse be effected in any way since it was at exactly 5 seconds every time (say, if I was using an intervalometer)? Like the quality and such, as far as jumpiness goes or anything like that.

Quick question:

Say that I was just using a remote to snap a picture "about" every five seconds or so. Will the timelapse be effected in any way since it was at exactly 5 seconds every time (say, if I was using an intervalometer)? Like the quality and such, as far as jumpiness goes or anything like that.

It shouldn't be affected that much.

But really.... who the hell would sit there for an hour and take a picture every 5 seconds when you can buy a remote for £25 that does the job for you?

I ordered a cheap intervalometer but it won't be here by the weekend when I go away, so I have to use a remote.

I shoot quite a few motion timelapses. I started out with a telescope motor which was cool but ended up breaking and was limited to daytime stuff with short exposures. If you try to shoot stuff at night the motion is too much for the shutter speed and you end up with blurs. This goes for dollies and pan/tilts. I worked for a company that bought me a mumford timemachine/sherline motor setup for a project. It looks kind ghetto with cords running everywhere but works awesome. The controller acts as your intervalometer for your camera and also tells the motor when to move. So the move happens, it rests for a second, it tells your camera to fire and so on. So you could be shooting a 5 minute star exposure in the middle of the night with absolutely no bluring. I use the motor on a tripod and on a ladder dolly I made. The setups aren't cheap though, the motor and controller are about 1400 bucks I think.

how do you do time lapses where it's day to night?

Like you would any other timelapse.

Intervalometer to set interval of pictures.

Aperture priority to control variable exposures

Then some post work using CHV long exposure to calm the shutter flicks.