SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
Martinezphoto

Panasonic Hd

well to me ive seen hvx's and hpx's go for around the same price used. $3000-3500 anything more than that you can just buy a hpx new for $3995. id say if you dont need the tape deck get the hpx its only a little more money. im getting a hpx170, 16gb p2 card,2 batteries hpx book.dvd + accessories for $3300 locally. i think its a way better deal than payin around the same or more for a hmc150 or hvx200.

+ hpx smaller / lighter / waveform / histogram / focus assist. frame rates.

i love everything about this camera, the picture quality is amazing.

hope that helps a little bit, lurk dvxuser they have some great topics on the whole hd family. ex1 ex3 , hpx, hmc, hvx ect..

check out vimeo also for videos and comparison

I heard the Low light is much better and the Blacks PoP really well.

after watching lakai's lakai am i am im not to exctied on the hpx colors

they seemed pretty washed out and overexposed

maybe its just me

maybe its just me

post it id like to see it

maybe its just me

That's because lakai never makes any effort to color correct or color grade any of their footage. They probably weren't using the dynamic range stretch function either, which I think should definitely be used for skating almost all the time. That was just a really bad example of what they're capable of producing. The quality will exceed that of the HVX in the right hands.

When you start talking about cameras like the HVX, HPX, or HMC, any mention of "colors" from the camera itself is a joke. The amazing thing with HD is the flexibility you have in post to adjust the image. If you're considering getting into something like that, you should realize (by now) that "good colors" is a figment of SP's imagination.

Personally, I prefer the HMC150 over the HVX, for reasons like cheaper storage, more storage space, more updated features, lighter camera, wider stock lens, nice warranty, and it was a good deal at the time (when they first came out). As far as the HPX goes, you're looking at what the HMC has but with p2 and maybe some other features (I dunno the specifics). For something like skateboard filming, I don't see a reason why to choose any other Panasonic HD camera over the HMC150, unless you work for some company that insists you use a p2 based camera, but IMO, p2 is overkill for strictly skateboard filming. I am super surprised that more mainstream skateboard companies haven't started using them, but I guess money isn't an obstacle for them. The HMC is the perfect budget HD camera that doesn't compromise with shitty tapes, lack of features, or poor physical design.

Do you guys have fisheye comparisons of hpx with a mk1 or mk2? Wouldnt there be tons of vig?
dont use an mk1 or mk2, it would look horrible.

get a 16x9, opteka .4x, or century xtreme.

(p.s. you shoulda went with an hmc150 :))

this is probly stuff youve heard before but this is what iv gotten out of the cameras. one of my friends has a hvx and iv only seen amazing stuff from it. all of the cameras have pretty much the same sort of quality. its not going to be a 1 cdd vs a red camera difference. the hpx does not have the tape deck so if you loose a card or something happens, your S#^* outta luck. everyone iv talked to says they like the hmc over the hvx because of the cost to film, its apparently smaller and lighter along with other internal things

(frame rates, that sort of stuff). the hpx is also lighter than the hvx but not too noticeable.