SkatePerception
Snowdon

The Large Format Thread

mike, you can scan them in halves, its nearly half, then you put them together in photoshop. its a pain to do but it is possible. you just have to make sure the colors/levels are the same in each half.

and i might be passing on that techihara for a leica m3 with some lenses that came up on craigslist. dont know though.

Large format is awesome in its place. Especially seeing 4x5 positives on a light table... its just unreal.

I posted this as a thread but haven't gotten much response... this is a series I've worked on for the past few months... www.wix.com/danmuchnik/manmade I'd love to hear some feedback.

Also, I have a bunch of 4x5 film for sale in the classifieds if anybody's interested.

Such a sick series dude. What setup are you shooting with?

LF has crossed my mind so hopefully this thread can help me make a decision

ima be on tonight i think, i have been shooting alot and working everyday. ill talk to you later or somethin.

haha, he must snap like 100 photos with his d700 while your setting up with the lf... also i could never understand the concept of going out to shoot with other people.

but its nice man... i still havent gotten my film holders yet, cant wait to shoot!

would you happen to know why my lens has these two possible settings "X" and "M" its not on the shutter or aperture, its just there. i'm guessing X is flash sync related...

Large format is awesome in its place. Especially seeing 4x5 positives on a light table... its just unreal.

I posted this as a thread but haven't gotten much response... this is a series I've worked on for the past few months... www.wix.com/danmuchnik/manmade I'd love to hear some feedback.

Also, I have a bunch of 4x5 film for sale in the classifieds if anybody's interested.

Man-made is such a broad topic. Narrow it down.

I'd also be more selective in your tilt/shift usage. In some of the images I found myself wishing more was in focus. Like in the first shot of the series the background would've been nice to have sharp. I like the blur in the foreground, but the things in the background would add to the scene more if they were more clear.

You choose some great locations to shoot from, but your the breadth of your subject matter leaves the series feeling unfocused.

The last shot of the series really stands out from the rest in that it brings a new perspective to something. So many people shoot city/urbanscapes, set yours apart.

That's all I got.

i have a 135mm xenar f4.7 and i'm curious about one thing. This lens has aperture marked up to f32 but i can still make the aperture smaller, past f32 and was wondering if anyone knew what aperture that is. i could test it out and stuff but if it's a known fact, it'd be much easier.

i have a 135mm xenar f4.7 and i'm curious about one thing. This lens has aperture marked up to f32 but i can still make the aperture smaller, past f32 and was wondering if anyone knew what aperture that is. i could test it out and stuff but if it's a known fact, it'd be much easier.

its F/45ish. somewhere in that range

I need to get back into LF. I have my speed graphic and calumet rail camera that just sit and collect dust. Then again, so does all my other stuff. Good post for sure Donald.

Tyler, shut the fuck up.

Sincerely, The World

Toyo 45A? Anyone have an opinion on this camera?

35677_1319668680004_1479414130_30639642_4859976_n.jpg

I just bought the Toyo 45AII and it rules. Compact, heavy duty, and has enough movements. I like it.

• Like 1

35677_1319668680004_1479414130_30639642_4859976_n.jpg

I just bought the Toyo 45AII and it rules. Compact, heavy duty, and has enough movements. I like it.

Right on. Those characteristics are what I wanted to hear. If I decide to pull the trigger this summer it will likely be it. Mind if I ask what you paid for it?

• Like 1

I paid around a thousand for a mint body, schneider apo symmar 150/5.6, crumpler bag, holders, etc.

Yeah, no problem. Feel free to ask me any questions regarding the camera.

Although I bought the whole set up as a kit, just as a point of reference, the camera body would be equivalent to $600 and the Schneider APO lens would be about $400, and the guy threw in a brand new bag, holders, loupe, etc so keep those prices in mind when you're purchasing.

does anyone have instructions on how to build a 4x5 pinhole camera? articles, videos, pdfs etc.

something like the zero image 4x5... i found lots of old film sheets in our darkroom.

Forgot about this thread. I spent some time typing all this up.

Any other dudes on here shooting LF? I know burns is.

My 4x5 has turned more into a desk ornament then anything, I've shot around 20 sheets this summer. Waiting to develop them so that'll probably get me motivated again. Can't wait to see all the shots you've been taking Donald.

• Like 1

I drove out to Denver and back about a month ago and shot nothing but 4x5. I was going to take my cambo, but the day before I left my coworker told me to take his Wista Field45a, fujinon 75mm 5.6, and polaroid 110 4x5 conversion. It was so nice using something that compact. I'm still printing stuff from the 50 sheets I shot. Got some stuff I'm pretty happy with so far