SkatePerception
Snowdon

The Large Format Thread

My 4x5 has turned more into a desk ornament then anything, I've shot around 20 sheets this summer. Waiting to develop them so that'll probably get me motivated again. Can't wait to see all the shots you've been taking Donald.

Thanks dude. I'm at almost 135 sheets so far. I ordered two more boxes of film, I'm still doing a decent amount of small distance traveling over the next week or so, so there should be more. I'm already getting anxious to start developing everything. I'm unsure If I'll change developers for this or not so i'm debating all that right now.

And, just develop some and see where it goes. If you force yourself to do it, it starts flowing again. Took me months to get into it again.

• Like 1

Can someone help me out...I'm trying to get a new lens for my Crown Graphic, but not sure what size/type of lens board to get. Right now I have a 135mm lens, but am looking for a 210-250mm for portraits. Let me know if more info is needed (still a noob to LF tech). Here is a pic of my current setup if that helps:

photo1.jpg

I have a 203mm F7.7 on a crown graphic lens board I'll sell you, I dont use it really. It is a bit slower but was sort of made for that camera as its crown graphic vintage. I don't know if your looking for a older look of a lens or newer. Let me know if your interested.

I have a 203mm F7.7 on a crown graphic lens board I'll sell you, I dont use it really. It is a bit slower but was sort of made for that camera as its crown graphic vintage. I don't know if your looking for a older look of a lens or newer. Let me know if your interested.

Hmm, possibly. I'm really looking to go a bit longer in focal length but if I can't find anything I may grab that from you. How much would you want for it?

Well the thing is the crown graphic has a certain limit of length of focal lengths, I think its around 240mm is the limit for longest length useable. I'm not totally sure what its worth, I know a lens board goes for 30-40, and I paid like 180 for the lens a few years ago, but I'm willing to do like 165$ for it. I'm open for offers though. I'm not trying to really be a sales man in saying this, but if you buy it from me you will be able to just put it on the camera and shoot rather then trying to find a lens then lens board.

Yeah, that makes sense about putting it on and shooting. Also wasn't aware about the ~240mm limit, so thanks for bringing that up. A 203mm is equivalent to what...about a 60mm in 35mm? I'm just not sure that's long enough for what I want in portraits, especially combined with the F7.7.

Give me a day or two to really think about what I want/need and I'll let you know. Thanks man!

Its something around 90mm, I'm not sure on the exact calculation. let me know dude.

Its something around 90mm, I'm not sure on the exact calculation. let me know dude.

Cool, One last thing, does it have an x-sync for flash?

no but it can have one, its a earlier lens, so it has the two posts, maybe it is a 7.5, this should be a photo of my lens

$T2eC16dHJHIE9nysfCP5BQUBepR2)w~~60_35.JPG

the two posts on the right side, theres an adapter to make it goto a PC sync. I can't find the adapter at the moment online but I know its a common one. I'm in the middle of some homework so I'm not exactly about to search more then a quick google search.

Yessss. I just made a great discovery last night. Instead of using a loupe for focusing, use a 50mm lens (preferably from a 35mm camera). It's insanely crisp and lets in a lot of light.

• Like 1

It is dead. In 60 million years they will be digging up the fossil remains of LF scans in the sedimentry rock lyers.

• Like 1

bout to pick up a Calumet view camera/150mm and setup a portrait studio in my new loft. can't fuck with street photography in this cold weather anymore

• Like 2

Got one of these over Christmas. Have yet to use it, but definitely looking forward to it. I had been using the hair-tie technique in my regular tank for years. Never really had a problem with that, but this new tank seems much easier and I can process more sheets at once.

https://shop.stearmanpress.com/products/sp-445-compact-4x5-film-processing-system

SP-445_Rev_3_1024x1024.jpg?v=1514914225

nice do you shoot large format for skateboarding too? 

i have a horseman 45hd + fujinon 5.6 150mm. i got a strobe w a battery pack that all fits into a backpack with it making it not a complete hassle to use. shooting large format is fun.

• Like 1

friend had borrowed a sinar rail camera from school and they finally asked for it back after months LOL

A2F5A539-2B64-4726-B0C6-4753BA0F21DA.jpeg

EDIT: clarification, he's been graduated for 2 years now and they've took out shooting 4x5 from their curriculum at least 4 years ago. first year when i was there was 4x5 black and white with some digital and 2nd year colour theory and business (simplifying obviously)

• Haha 1