SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
milkytrv900

How To Set Your 3ccd Sony Digital Handycam Correctly

Yeah, i made that a long time ago and i decided to put this in the contribute section cause it can be interesting and maybe useful for beginners with those type of cameras.

How to set your 3CCD Sony Digital Handycam correctly (By: Jim Barascud)

WORKS WITH:

"DCR-VX1000 / VX2000 / VX2100 / TRV900 / TRV950" & "DSR-PD100 / PDX10 / PD150 / PD170".

Focus: in Manual for fisheye shots and in Auto for longlens shots. (You can mess around with the focus ring to make some nice effects in longlens.)

(The VX1000 is kinda capricious with the AutoFocus so it's better to focus manually everytime.)

Exposure: in Manual all the time. Set it like you want but be careful to not over or under expose your image.

Shutter speed: in Manual all the time: between 250 and 1000 in daylight and around 60 in lowlight or indoor.

ND Filter: depends of the brightness outside, but always on OFF when you are in lowlight or indoor.

Audio Level: always in manual. Around 3 or 4 notches up from the top left for fisheye shots and around the middle for longlens shots. You can mess around with it to find the perfect audio you want.

Edit: YOU DON'T NEED TO SET THE AUDIO ON THE vx1000 (THE AUTO MODE SOUNDS PERFECTLY FOR SKATEBOARDING.)

White Balance: set it manually with a white sheet of paper or a white object you can set it with the sky if you want to apply an "orange, yellow, golden" tint to your footy (depends of what kind of blue it is) but i personally don't recommand doing that. The best way is the white object like i said because colors looks more natural. You can always mess around with the WB shift in the Custom Presets to make your footages looks warmer/colder.

Steady Shot: you can set it ON for your longlens shots but make sure to set it OFF when you put a fisheye on your camera.

Int Rec: It's the interval recording, you can use it if you want to do a "Time Lapse" effect.

Digital Zoom: put it all the way OFF the optical zoom is enough.

Custom Presets (Not available on the TRV900 & PD100) : You can adjust lots of wonderful things with that, like the Sharpness, Color Level, WB Shift etc... your camera will save those settings as a preset.

Shutter speed: in Manual all the time: between 150 and 250 in daylight and around 60 in lowlight or indoor.

That's wrong. Just double your frame rate, 60i is 60 interlaced frame which equals one half frame so 60i is 30fps. So 1/60 all day erryday. Use your nd filters and exposure to change lightness/darkness. I'll go to 1/120 if I plan on slow moing a clip.

You don't want the audio level to go in the red part, it should go high but red means potential clipping, and should not use auto.

I said, approach the skater so if he does his ollie near the mic, the level is obviously going to the red part. And the auto mode is for the VX1000. Everyone know that the VX1000 audio sounds perfectly in Auto.

White Balance: set it manually with a white sheet of paper or put it on "sunny day mode" you can set it manually with a blue sheet of paper or with the sky if you want to apply an "orange, yellow, golden" tint to your footy (depends of what kind of blue it is)

I disagree on this, and Idk where this started on SP that people think white balancing off of anything but white is a good idea.

Always white balance off of white - and be sure to change the white balance if the lighting changes AT ALL. So if it's later in the day or if you start filming in shade or you get out lights, reset the white balance.

Exposure: in Manual all the time. Set it like you want but be careful to not over or under expose your image.

Shutter speed: in Manual all the time: between 1500 and 250 in daylight and around 60 in lowlight or indoor.

Exposure should always be as close to 5.6 as possible. Exposure is a lot more important than shutter speed when it comes to getting a good, crisp image. Shutter speed generally is 300 and up, but I always set the shutter speed AFTER the exposure is set at 5.6, so there is no "best" shutter speed.

Audio Level: always in manual. To set it correctly, approach the skater and ask him to do an ollie (the audio level must go in the red part)

When it goes into the red, doesn't that mean it's peaking? I haven't messed with audio in awhile on the VX. I know pretty much every camera should never go to the red line, VX might be different...

Have focus in manual for fisheye? i did this my accident once and looked poopy

ALWAY have focus on manual for fisheye. If it's set to autofocus, it will go in and out of focus and look like crap. Personally, I think you should always use manual focus but that's just me.

Put the fisheye on, then set the focus, then lock it if you can. If you got bad looking footage out of manual focus with a fisheye, you did something wrong.

I disagree on this, and Idk where this started on SP that people think white balancing off of anything but white is a good idea.

Always white balance off of white - and be sure to change the white balance if the lighting changes AT ALL. So if it's later in the day or if you start filming in shade or you get out lights, reset the white balance.

Exposure should always be as close to 5.6 as possible. Exposure is a lot more important than shutter speed when it comes to getting a good, crisp image. Shutter speed generally is 300 and up, but I always set the shutter speed AFTER the exposure is set at 5.6, so there is no "best" shutter speed.

When it goes into the red, doesn't that mean it's peaking? I haven't messed with audio in awhile on the VX. I know pretty much every camera should never go to the red line, VX might be different...

ALWAY have focus on manual for fisheye. If it's set to autofocus, it will go in and out of focus and look like crap. Personally, I think you should always use manual focus but that's just me.

Put the fisheye on, then set the focus, then lock it if you can. If you got bad looking footage out of manual focus with a fisheye, you did something wrong.

Why must it be at 5.6. What is so good about that?

Cheers this has helped alot but the one thing im still confused about is to set the audio levels to 'auto' because i can only seem to set them manually. any help would be much appreciated, cheers.

What camera do you have ?