SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
scamper

Important Message Regarding Pawn Shops

Please, do not purchase professional video equipment from welspun auctions AKA AJ's Superpawn, or any pawn shop for that matter. The guys who run places like this do not know how to test cameras and more than likely if it's coming from them, even though it may be advertised as working, there will be some sort of a catch. There's pretty much only three reasons someone sells a professional camera to one of these places - the person is desperate for money (not so bad), it was stolen (pretty bad), or there's something wrong with it that they figured a pawn shop wouldn't be smart enough to pick up on (arguably the worst situation, and the one I recently ran into with welspun auctions AKA AJ's Superpawn). When my XH A1 arrived, it appeared to work fine but two weeks later when I actually went to shoot something with it, it would not focus properly. This issue was not advertised in the auction, and to be fair, they probably didn't even notice it. I have called them to attempt to reach some sort of resolution and they are very kind on the phone and say someone will get back to me, but they have consistently not gotten back to me.

Sometimes the place might not explicitly state that they are a pawn shop either, just look out for any statement about selling jewelery or items of that nature, statements about not having a surplus of knowledge about high end electronics and therefore not being able to test them with the scrutiny that professionals would, or "all items are sold as-is." It may look like a good deal in that it's not quite too good to be true but significantly less expensive than what most people will ask for, but trust me on this one - DO NOT BUY PRO CAMERAS FROM WELSPUN AUCTIONS AKA AJ'S SUPERPAWN, OR ANY ONLINE PAWN SHOP. THEY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TEST THINGS OUT AND IF SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE ITEM, IT LITERALLY IS NOT EVEN THEIR FAULT FOR THAT VERY REASON.

I got the A1 for pretty cheap, 1994 plus shipping with a 150 dollar pelican case and a 70 dollar pro mist filter. The guys found around a thousand dollars worth of problems with it, only one of which I'm going to fix right now for 275. Other problems include a part in the VTR being tweaked out of alignment which the repair place said caused glitches in some test recordings (a $500 repair), some debris in the back of the lens (a $275 repair) and the broken microphone bracket (which the seller advertised and I didn't care about at all, but it would be $80). I'm definitely never going to repair the microphone bracket and I'm not gonna repair the VTR and debris inside of the lens at lest for now. Neither of these issues presented problems in some things that I actually managed to shoot even with the focus problem, but the VTR may need to be repaired eventually if it starts causing glitches. It also cost me $50 to ship it out to them.

Really, I wouldn't care how cheap the repairs are. It was advertised as being fully functional and working as intended. I see these words, I buy the camera, I receive it, I want to go shoot. I do not want to have to deal with sending it out to LA or driving it down to Jamesburg to get it fixed. I have been unable to shoot for a month already.

Damn bro, buying used electronics is always sketchy no matter what. Let alone anything used or anything over the internet.

Yeah there's nothing like the feeling of ordering something over the internet, just to find out it doesnt work after you test it.