SkatePerception
GnarMachine

Computer Issues Netjiot

There are a lot of small computer questions, discussion, etc in this forum. Let's put them in this thread. If you've got a simple question, want to post some new technology, etc, then post it here.

Everyone can thank JordanWiens for the thread idea.

• Like 4

we needed this, so i bought 2, 1gb sticks of ram for my powermac g5. When i bought it it said on newegg its for a 1.8 ghz dual core powermac g5 (which is what i have). When i put the sticks in the computer beeps twice and then runs but nothing comes up on the screen. can anyone help me?

we needed this, so i bought 2, 1gb sticks of ram for my powermac g5. When i bought it it said on newegg its for a 1.8 ghz dual core powermac g5 (which is what i have). When i put the sticks in the computer beeps twice and then runs but nothing comes up on the screen. can anyone help me?

Have you tried reseating the RAM?

Does it match the specs listed here: http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/pdf/g5/memory_c.pdf

Apple lists that code as being incompatible RAM types: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1547

it matches all the specs its supposed to be so now im annoyed that it wont work, what does reseating mean?

it matches all the specs its supposed to be so now im annoyed that it wont work, what does reseating mean?

Pull the RAM out and reinstall it.

yeah i tried that to, it just beeps. i guess i bought the wrong ram but its advertised for the computer i have with the same specs, weired

looking for an imac, found this...

link

"This iMac comes with a one year warranty and phone support directly from apple. 3 year applecare in a sealed box with applecare registration code and serial number is available, please email me for details. Applecare provides 3 full years of warranty coverage including tech support and physical hardware warranty direct from Apple."

ok, apple does not even have the 512 ssd in the online store yet, but i know you can just buy a third-party one yourself and install, but this says it's still sealed and from apple. plus its like 400 bucks cheaper than buying straight from apple. how can they do this? i was thinking of getting one from the buyer since there cheaper but im skeptical. they also have a good rep, idk. can anyone enlighten me?

tldr; is this legit?

looking for an imac, found this...

link

"This iMac comes with a one year warranty and phone support directly from apple. 3 year applecare in a sealed box with applecare registration code and serial number is available, please email me for details. Applecare provides 3 full years of warranty coverage including tech support and physical hardware warranty direct from Apple."

ok, apple does not even have the 512 ssd in the online store yet, but i know you can just buy a third-party one yourself and install, but this says it's still sealed and from apple. plus its like 400 bucks cheaper than buying straight from apple. how can they do this? i was thinking of getting one from the buyer since there cheaper but im skeptical. they also have a good rep, idk. can anyone enlighten me?

tldr; is this legit?

If he is able to get a reseller discount, it's very possible that price is legit. However, for that much money, buy a mac pro and a cinema display.

My apple magic mouse turn off like twice everyday, for around 30 seconds.

I got it in may with my imac.

i never dropped it, or abused it.

any help?

If your imac is less than a year old, call apple or take it to the apple store, they will replace it. This is all assuming your batteries aren't dead/dying.

Can I Run Mac OS X On Western Digital 2TB External Had Drive?

No way at all.

You don't run OS's on an external HD, and Mac won't even work.

No way at all.

Oaky. Because There Are a whole bunch of people that are saying i can and cant.

No way at all.

You can run your operating system off your external. You just need to install the OS onto the external then set your boot priority as to try to boot off the external first. Its sorta like running a version of Linux off a flash drive.

With that being said, unless you are doing a quick boot / emergency boot, running your applications or operating system off an external hard drive is a horrible idea.

Yeah I've booted OSX from external drives all the time. There is no reason why you couldn't. If you take your "internal" drive out of your computer, it's now officially an external drive. If you hook it up via USB or whatever, it is just the same as it was when it was inside the computer. You can take an internal drive out, install OSX on it through external means, and pop the drive into another Mac and boot up just fine. You can also boot from it as an external disk as Side said.

Of course, this won't allow you to install OSX onto an external, hook it up to a PC and run OSX.

So i got a 2tb external hard drive that is compatible with macs, when i try to format it it wont let me click the erase button or any other button, any help?

Going to purchase a 27inch iMac, but not sure which processor to get.

What is the difference between the

3.2GHz Intel Core i3 (dual) vs. 2.8GHz Intel Core i5 (quad)

does the different GHz make a difference??

thanks

The big difference is the number of cores. The i3, as you said, is a dual core. The i5 is a quad (4) core. Cores act as separate "processors" themselves, able to do more multi-tasking. I would go for the i5 since it's quad core. The GHZ won't make as big as a difference as the number of cores.

The big difference is the number of cores. The i3, as you said, is a dual core. The i5 is a quad (4) core. Cores act as separate "processors" themselves, able to do more multi-tasking. I would go for the i5 since it's quad core. The GHZ won't make as big as a difference as the number of cores.

Thanks for the information, that makes more sense now,

Just wondering, does each core have that number of GHz?

(i5, each core will have 2.8GHz?)

No, the i5 is the processor but the computer is a quad core..so it will have 4

No. The clock speed is given to the processor as a whole. Multiple cores just allow the work load to be spread out, allowing work to be completed faster because of it. Imagine there are 4 jobs/processes needed to be completed. A single-core processor at 3GHZ takes 10 time units to complete it (assume). However, a 4-core processor rated at 2.6GHZ can spread the work of the jobs over each core, allowing the jobs to be multitasked and finished in 5 time units. The processor isn't running faster to complete the job; the job just gets done faster because of how it is spread over the multiple cores.

• Like 1

No. The clock speed is given to the processor as a whole. Multiple cores just allow the work load to be spread out, allowing work to be completed faster because of it. Imagine there are 4 jobs/processes needed to be completed. A single-core processor at 3GHZ takes 10 time units to complete it (assume). However, a 4-core processor rated at 2.6GHZ can spread the work of the jobs over each core, allowing the jobs to be multitasked and finished in 5 time units. The processor isn't running faster to complete the job; the job just gets done faster because of how it is spread over the multiple cores.

I see, thanks!

To use an external monitor as dual extended screen can I just use a VGA splitter, then choose extended screen? Kinda the same way as when you plug a monitor into a pc laptop?

Would anyone on here say that they feel comfortable with C++ programming? (primarily console/terminal applications)

I use C primarily but I know a bit of C++ as well. Not sure how helpful I can be, but let me know.