SkatePerception
GnarMachine

Computer Issues Netjiot

PCMCIA/PC card or expresscard firewire card.

The discrepancy in space is based on a few factors. These include the way OS X reads free space vs. how other software manufacturers read it, as well as the drive having extra space on it so the hardware can remap and reallocate bad sectors.

You didn't lose any space, don't worry about it. Formatting it puts a partition table on the drive and tells the computer what file system type the drive is, otherwise you're left with a drive that cannot be read or written to by anything as the software won't have a way to keep track of what has been written (semi-simplified explanation).

alright thanks man.

which would be faster a 1.9ghz dual core processor or a 3.4ghz single core? which would you recommend? I'm looking to buy a cheap desktop to do some simple stuff on.

I'm not sure of the exact conversions of performance between that particular dual core and single core, but dual cores are much better for a couple reasons. Cores are like tiny processors in themselves on one physical chip. A single-core processor is your typical single-processor setup. It is completely sequential in how it executes, the only parallelism gained is through logical means, such as multi-thread applications (and single-cpu systems can't really utilize multiple threads very effectively). Now a dual-core CPU has two cores on a chip, where each core can do work, which means it is parallelized much better and can more efficiently utilize multi-thread applications and the like. Think of it like this: which is better, one really strong guy carrying a couch by himself or two lesser strong guys carrying the couch, one at each end?

Now what all that means is that single core CPUs are practically irrelevant in the consumer market now and almost everything is at least dual-core (laptop or desktop). I don't know how cheap you're going for, but a faster dual-core processor (faster than 1.9ghz) shouldn't be too expensive. Either way, I can't give you a definite yes or no about which of those two will have better performance, but I can tell you that dual core > single core.

I am currently running Pentium 4 processor 3.2 ghz. Should I upgrade to a

Intel Celeron Dual Core E3400 2.6GHZ @ $51.00

or

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5700/3Ghz @ $72.00

or the same Pentium Dual core but 2.7 ghz @ $68.00

Well as far as upgrading the processor goes, you need to first look up what motherboard you have and make sure it's socket can support whatever processors you're looking at (not sure if you have already)

WOAH thanks for the info dr Doak. I picked up a computer with a dual core 2.5ghz processor and four gb of ram. Now just to find an inexpensive video card.

Is it cheap/is there a cheap alternative to the glossy screens on a macbook pro? If i bought an anti glare screen and installed it myself (if possible) how expensive would that be? I searched ebay for a used screen, but couldn't find one.. I know they have those skins that go over the screen, but i was never able to get 0 bubbles when i had an iphone, no way i'd be able to do it one my computer screen.

Well as far as ghz vs price range, you're not really saving much by getting the lower ghz model. But I am not familiar with the details of those processors, so I can't say which would perform better. But looking at those prices, you're not saving much by choosing one over the other.

Is it cheap/is there a cheap alternative to the glossy screens on a macbook pro? If i bought an anti glare screen and installed it myself (if possible) how expensive would that be? I searched ebay for a used screen, but couldn't find one.. I know they have those skins that go over the screen, but i was never able to get 0 bubbles when i had an iphone, no way i'd be able to do it one my computer screen.

If you already have the laptop then there are services to convert it to a matte screen, but IMO they do not look very good and are pretty pricey.

If you're planning on buying one soon, just buy the anti-glare model, it's a pretty cheap upgrade.

Ubuntu, I want to dual boot install so I can run xp when I edit.

edit:

I know it sounds stupid, but Ubuntu is just more fun to use, if it had the same compatibility as windows, ran all the same programs, games and other stuff that is the only reason I still have xp on my comp, xp wouldn't be on my comp. Not to mention it looks prettier and is pretty much perfect for browsing the internet and listening to music.

I'm trying to setup dual monitors for gaming on my PC...

I want it to be one Giant monitor so I can play using both screens.

Right now my graphics card is a XFX 9800 Gtx

Im using both its DVI ports for two seperate monitors.

I also have windows vista running (if that does anything)

Do I need to buy an adapter to use Two monitors on One DVI port?

Id prefer not to buy the triple/dual head to go.

Your graphics card has 2 DVI ports, correct?

If that's so, you should be able to plug each monitor into one and go from there.

What exactly is the problem?

Your graphics card has 2 DVI ports, correct?

If that's so, you should be able to plug each monitor into one and go from there.

What exactly is the problem?

Correct it has two dvi ports.

But I want the computer to see both monitors as one large monitor such as 2050x728 (not sure what exact ratio is)

Not like an extended desktop monitor

any ideas?

depends on the case size, but most consumer cases are extremely compact and only support super small proprietary mobos.

Just shell out 50$ for a cheap mid sized case

Motherboards are attached/secured to a case through screws. With that said, the motherboard's screw holes/threads must line up with the case's holes/threads. There are standards that cases and motherboards follow to ensure you can get a compatible motherboard.

I suggest you determine which motherboard you have in the case as of now, and then make sure the one you're putting in follows the same standard.

For example:

Screenshot2011-05-30at24551PM.png

That motherboard is ATX. Another example would be micro ATX.

Well I have another question. can you swap hard drives between two computers? I want to take the HDD (with the OS, Windows 7) out of my computer and put it in a different pc with better components. Will it just boot up like normal or will I have to reactivate my OS?

can anyone help me out as to why games like call of duty dont play smoothly on my computer. what do i need to upgrade in order to get games to play smoothly.

heres my specs

6 gigs ram

1tb harddrive

ATi radeon HD 5770 sapphire

processor: AMD athalon 64 x2 dual core 6000+ 3.00ghz

windows 7 64-bit

Well I have another question. can you swap hard drives between two computers? I want to take the HDD (with the OS, Windows 7) out of my computer and put it in a different pc with better components. Will it just boot up like normal or will I have to reactivate my OS?

If Windows7 does its job correctly, it should work without a problem. The only issues are the different hardware components in the computers. Win7 should be smart enough to find and install the new drivers on the computer you plug the harddrive into.

But just to be safe, make sure you got a backup of your files somewhere in case something does happen.

And to the post above me, are you playing online? I don't know much about gaming performance, but if you're playing online and you got a shitty internet connection, it won't be smooth.

I'm not familiar with how intensive those games are, but your system looks good enough for [most] anything. However, graphics cards play an important role. I am also not familiar with graphics cards, so I can't say if yours is in need up an upgrade.

Hey, I have an alienware m11x laptop which has no CD rom disk tray. I was just wondering if there is somehow I could buy something that would connect and allow me to pop some CDs in for like itunes or to burn skate dvds because i want to do that stuff but my laptop doesn't have a disk tray. Thanks for the help in advance.