SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
Stolen_Darkness

Minimalism

A lot of the designs you posted went along with the name of the brand.. I think the best one was backspace

I see what you're trying to go for here, it's kind of clever. But i didn't even bother to read the smaller text at first glance. This looks really rushed and thrown together, come up with an idea that illustrates your brand name, but does so quite simply. The only idea i have would be to make a larger grey "A dream" and then use your white one and have it over lap the grey one. Then on the side of the white "A" you could have "within"

Not the best idea, but i think it'd be easier to read and follow along than the one you've posted.

typeface selection is fucking disgusting.

Yeah... Tahoma? Really man? Futura might go kinda nicely with the concept, Optima would be better too. Hell, even Helvetica would look better than Tahoma.

And work on your allignment too, line up your edges cuz right now they're just hanging over everything all willy-nilly

I worked on this really quick but I don't think this is Tahoma lol I <3 you guys

not really worried about the typeface at this point anyway....i'd like to get the concept down first.\

EDIT: really???? @ futura and optima

helevitca maybe....but would you mind explaining the other two choices?

make cube/box

have white negative space around it

have "a dream" labeled on the box

have "within a dream" floating inside cube/box

have studios chillen somwhere idk

idk

Agreeing with everyone else, typeface selection could be way better. Also, something to keep in mind, while all those logos are really great, they most likely were not first or second idea. For a logo thats going to be great, and really minimal, there has to be a small "wow" factor involved, something that makes the person looking at the logo go "oh wow, now that is clever" ... without being too corny or tacky. For this, "A Dream within a Dream Studios," do the whole spider web technique. Spawn out of words and concepts.

See here: (done real quickly)

screenshot20101229at421.png

From that you can spawn visual ideas, go back to your idea web's and such and try combining things, sketch anything and EVERYTHING that comes to mind because you never know what will inspire another idea. Even if you think what you just thought up was stupid, jot it down. Sketch it out. The stupidest ideas usually end up being some of the most clever when you dont realize it (at least for me).

screenshot20101229at447.png

This is the second part, the sketching part. This is in illustrator done SUPER quick just to get the idea across, but I tend to find sketching it out on paper is a lot better to just place things and draw it out, etc etc. Its best to have at least 3 good solid ideas before you pick one at all, either different color variations or layouts.

In the end, it could be all type work, or using a small (actual) logo. It could be conceptual, or just all visual and you understand it right away... but creating a really great minimal logo takes time, and a real effort behind it.

Agreeing with everyone else, typeface selection could be way better. Also, something to keep in mind, while all those logos are really great, they most likely were not first or second idea. For a logo thats going to be great, and really minimal, there has to be a small "wow" factor involved, something that makes the person looking at the logo go "oh wow, now that is clever" ... without being too corny or tacky. For this, "A Dream within a Dream Studios," do the whole spider web technique. Spawn out of words and concepts.

See here: (done real quickly)

screenshot20101229at421.png

From that you can spawn visual ideas, go back to your idea web's and such and try combining things, sketch anything and EVERYTHING that comes to mind because you never know what will inspire another idea. Even if you think what you just thought up was stupid, jot it down. Sketch it out. The stupidest ideas usually end up being some of the most clever when you dont realize it (at least for me).

screenshot20101229at447.png

This is the second part, the sketching part. This is in illustrator done SUPER quick just to get the idea across, but I tend to find sketching it out on paper is a lot better to just place things and draw it out, etc etc. Its best to have at least 3 good solid ideas before you pick one at all, either different color variations or layouts.

In the end, it could be all type work, or using a small (actual) logo. It could be conceptual, or just all visual and you understand it right away... but creating a really great minimal logo takes time, and a real effort behind it.

Just saw this. Awesome input...I jotted down one logo on paper after I made the thread and got that far with it....I couldn't picture it working....I'll post it along with some other ideas now that you've got me thinking.

Arigato.

I thought futura might work well with the whole dream concept but I could be wrong. And yeah you're right I don't know what I was thinking with optima haha, my bad.

univers... neutra... akzidenz-grotesk super... gotham... avenir... century gothic... come on now no need to use MS fonts.

someone goes to art school.

remember logos have to work really large - billboard size (its a stretch but whatever)

and small - like the corner of business cards

the small type in your original logo kinda conflicts with that. just another thing to keep in mind

I think you're thinking about it too much man, trying to make it too illustrative. I'd go back to the basics and ask yourself what you're really trying to convey. When you think about it ask yourself how you can represent that in a way that's not so literal (although that may be what you're going for, in that case ignore everything I'm saying) but still gives the viewer the same message or feeling. It's all about abstraction...

If you've never seen the movie waking life you should definitely check it out, even just watch some clips on youtube or something for some inspiration.

I bought Waking Life on a whim one day a few years ago...it made kinda uncomfortable...like antsy lol

I think I may just got with an illustrative sense....I actually shouldn't have posted these in my minimalism thread...I didn't wanna start a new one.

But yeah, I honestly can't think of any abstract minimalist way to portray the name.

I'll peruse through Waking Life to get a gist of what you're referring to.

I don't get it, are you trying to design logos? What you are drawing are basically just drawings. They don't come off as logos and won't work as one either. Start off with thinking of what kind of style you want. Design a symbol or icon that matches you style and name, incorporate it with your text and make sure the whole design can easily be places on websites, signs, and other places. These are just big drawings.

I know I'm really late to the party, but I think the name is too long. You name too simplify it even more if you're going for minimalism. Perhaps "Within Dreams" or get a thesaurus and find one word that says it all.