SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
seanmichon

A Big Drop In...

Conor Laffey

okay so which do you prefer, b&w or color? and as usual, c&c is much appreciated.

5477441201_8e9e4c8f7f_z.jpg

5474994077_1f587a9486_z.jpg

EDIT: i re-touched the color photo since thats the one i think ill use. i cloned out the chain and saturated the grass on the right a little bit more since the burn tool seemed to desaturate it a little. thoughts?

First, has some nice colors in it. Really good setting to have the skateboarder pop! I think a shot of someone mid air about to ollie into the bank would be rad.

Has he tried to ollie in? Or is that too gnarly? I have only seen this spot in videos.

First, has some nice colors in it. Really good setting to have the skateboarder pop! I think a shot of someone mid air about to ollie into the bank would be rad.

Has he tried to ollie in? Or is that too gnarly? I have only seen this spot in videos.

ohh god no! haha someone ollied into the bank way at the end where the bank isnt as long. here would be reallyy gnarly if anyone ollied into it. i stood at the top and was scared just to look down it... its way bigger in person

thanks man

I like both the black and white and the color version. I like the timing but I would have stood in the middle of the roll in. I also think that shooting crooked did't really help, straight would have been wayyyy better I think. This way you could have kept the tops of those houses in the background in the frame and possibly even framed him in the green house.

I like both the black and white and the color version. I like the timing but I would have stood in the middle of the roll in. I also think that shooting crooked did't really help, straight would have been wayyyy better I think. This way you could have kept the tops of those houses in the background in the frame and possibly even framed him in the green house.

i see what you mean. i tried out shooting it level, but it just kind of made the composition less interesting to me. if he was framed in the green house i would thank thatd make him blend in a bit too much, no? i wanted him to be isolated against the plain tan color of the bank

im havin a tough time deciding which i like more. maybe the color because i feel like the photo lacks some color throughout most of it, and the colors in the top left corner help bring attention to the skater, also that the three colors (the houses and his shirt) compliment each other nicely. thats my personal opinion but does anyone else see what i mean?

thanks

imo the first has great colours, and the blends are spot on to me but the black and white one has a more epic feel to it. reminds me a little of a strange notes part with Gravette when he did a massive mosher drop which was in black and white, just blew my mind. it's all down to personal preference seeing as both versions are great in their own way.

you tilted the camera the wrong way

okay.. now obviously i tilted it the way i did on purpose.... it looked bad, and boring tilted the other way and i wasnt too concerned about making the bank look almost vertical, would have looked bad. now give a better, more logical crit without coming off as a dick or get out

You described this bank as being very steep, but looking at this photo, it doesn't look very steep at all because of the camera tilt. I've never been to this spot, but if it's so gnarly that the skater has to drop in instead of ollieing into it, then it must be steep, and I don't think you did that justice at all. The angle is pretty boring too.

thanks, well when i was thinking about what to do with the photo, i wasnt thinking only about making the bank look steeper..i wanted to have a nice photo. so if i tilted it the other way, it would be boring if your eye was just led straight vertically down the side of the frame, instead i decided to have your eye move across the photo diagonally to spot the landing or bottom. having it tilted the other way would have just givin it boring straight vertical lines, and houses would have thrown the weight of the photo off by tilting it the other way. and if i held the camera straight, well that didnt look that bad, but it wasnt as interesting, what you see here is how i liked it most.

thanks, well when i was thinking about what to do with the photo, i wasnt thinking only about making the bank look steeper..i wanted to have a nice photo. so if i tilted it the other way, it would be boring if your eye was just led straight vertically down the side of the frame, instead i decided to have your eye move across the photo diagonally to spot the landing or bottom. having it tilted the other way would have just givin it boring straight vertical lines, and houses would have thrown the weight of the photo off by tilting it the other way. and if i held the camera straight, well that didnt look that bad, but it wasnt as interesting, what you see here is how i liked it most.

Wow i see why you shot it liket his

Good stuff

i re-touched the color photo since thats the one i think ill use for my web site. i cloned out the chain and saturated the grass on the right a little bit more since the burn tool seemed to desaturate it a little. thoughts? (i replaced the photo in the original post)

You described this bank as being very steep, but looking at this photo, it doesn't look very steep at all because of the camera tilt. I've never been to this spot, but if it's so gnarly that the skater has to drop in instead of ollieing into it, then it must be steep, and I don't think you did that justice at all. The angle is pretty boring too.

this bank is beyond gnarly like, i thought he was gunna die, personally

color is better in my opinion. but my critique is 1. this bank isnt that big, but you tilted the camera to make it seem like it was bigger and steeper.

if you wanted it to look big you should have shot it from another angle

color is better in my opinion. but my critique is 1. this bank isnt that big, but you tilted the camera to make it seem like it was bigger and steeper.

if you wanted it to look big you should have shot it from another angle

before you make a post, read the other comments as well..

thanks for the crit though

before you make a post, read the other comments as well..

thanks for the crit though

I dont other to go through and read everyones post in a thread, you asked for a critique so i gave you one. im not going to waste my time reading everything else.

and plus, were going back to re shoot it. sean, new angle for both of us, second time around?

Well the roll in yeah I might as well shoot it again since your getting another angle. But for the (secret trick) off the fence. You are not allowed to shoot it fisheye hahah, I just won't allow it. I have way too good of a shot in mind. No more bumping this thread

Comp is super pretty and would please our man in Holland VirtualLife (is he still here?)

Furthermore, am I not a Mod anymore?

Comp is super pretty and would please our man in Holland VirtualLife (is he still here?)

Furthermore, am I not a Mod anymore?

thank you, and for you people that think itd look better shot vertically or from the bottom etc.. my buddys gonna film it from another angle, so i might as well re-shoot it. i personally prefer this though, everyone would expect it shot vertically from the bottom or whatever, me on the other hand.. i tried to stand out from the crowd a bit with this i guess i could say.